Runaway diesel mondeo

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
In a bit of a pickle today, so it started off taking a spin in the old Mondeo (2006 tdci 130) and noticed the battery light had come on, (but it it had started up first turn of the key and nothing had been left on during the night) so pulled into a shop, turned off the car, looked under the bonnet to see if anything was unplugged like wires to alternator and check the alternator fuse, all was fine so I went in into the shop, came back out 5 minutes later and nothing, the car put the startup dash lights on for 2 seconds and just clicked like a dead battery would do. So got jump leads, rang my sister and got it restarted within 5 seconds. So went to drive home and got about 2 miles and it died on a roundabout which was fun so same procedure lol. Finally got it home, reversed into the driveway and it started revving itself right out to redline and plumes of white/grey smoke out the exhaust. Turned the car off but still revving itself, then remembered about a thread on here ages ago about stalling the engine in a high gear, so thankfully that worked. It revved out for no longer than 10 seconds so hopefully no severe damage done. Has anyone got any ideas, I dont know if the dead battery and this are connected but I'm no mechanic, I can DIY a few bits like brakes and stuff, so if anyone can help, please feel free. If I get the jump leads on again will it rev itself up again.
Sorry for the long story but I'm a bit desperate right now with moving house and getting married next year so thanks in advance

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Sounds like the turbo seals have gone and the engine is feeding on its own oil supply.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Extremely unlikely that the battery issue is linked to the runaway issue. Just an unlucky coincidence.
as others have said it’s most likely the turbo seals that have failed and it was running on its own own.

bmurf

RMS Regular
OP
bmurf
Drives
200sx
Thank you all for replies, so a turbo it is. Mechanic taking it tomorrow morning to get it sorted hopefully. What a ****ing unlucky day to have 2 things like that in the space of an half an hour