Rust Repair Advice

Jamie Wilson

Drives
Audi S5
I've a 1988 starlet EP70 that unfortunately succumbed to some rust. As is usual in this sort of thing, the more you look the more rust you find. I'm not too concerned about the smallish holes on the bodywork but there is an awkward bit underneath that will need repairing.

The issue is that I don't know enough about welding to know how big a job this will be. I can't see any obvious place to cut it out. The real question is does anyone have any thoughts on the scale of cost to repair this?

Although I'm fond of the car (been in my wife's family since new) I'm not sure if the repair costs just wouldn't be worth it.

I've uploaded a video to try to show the extent - any advice is greatly appreciated!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
To do it right, it will be a big job.

Take a look at Ian's 240z thread to get an idea of how deep rust can get. If it looks bad on the outside, you know it will be worse when you start cutting panels open to access what is below.
And if repair panels are not available, someone has to spend the time to fabricate them, again all labour intensive cost.

How much is the car worth ?

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Unfortunately the majority of the ep70's have fallen victim to that sort of corrosion. That's why they are a rare sight nowadays. Looks like the inner and outer sills are eaten up, quite a lot of work involved in fabrication as I think most bits are discontinued from Toyota.

The mounting points that the axle bolts to is structural so that would need checked before going too much further.

I got a set of sills welded into an ep82 for around £250 a few years back but it wasn't as far down the line as yours so it could be a lot more.

It's a tough call when the car has sentimental value.

amcm1

RMS Regular
As mentioned its a big job to do properly, you need to find out what it will cost to get done right, figure out what the car is worth to you and if you plan on keeping it for a lifetime. Would really need to be inspected properly because by the time you finish cutting the rot out you can be in pretty deep. Problem is with car rot every layer needs taken back until your into clean steel then each layer needs built back up again and if no replacement panels are available then labour isn't long mounting up after hand making panels. Only you can work out for yourself after you get an idea of cost, if the sentimental and personal value to yourself is worth it financially.
If you get it done make sure you can see proof that it was fixed properly, seen many a car that was just made to look pretty and rot has came back in the near future.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
problem is...rot always comes back. It's incredibly difficult to get rid of it all, and even harder to protect those panels inside which become blocked after repair

Of course, we all have a lifespan...so how long it needs to last is also a consideration.

Jamie Wilson

OP
J
Drives
Audi S5
Thanks for all your replies.

It's a difficult question, but anyone any suggestions on what an EP70 is worth?

1988 Starlet XL (1.0L)
Genuine 50k mile
Brake system replaced, fully adjustable bias valve, hydraulic handbrake (maintaining original cable handbrake)
Subaru Impreza Bucket seats fitted to original seat rails.
Braided brake hoses
Tein Springs and uprated shocks
**Clearly needs some body work**

Perfect for autotest/lane rally.

Any suggestions?

IMG_5749.jpeg

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
It’s not original anymore so you have lost the “classic” end of the market. It’s an old 1.0L car that needs potentially extensive welding. Honestly I would be surprised if it sold for more than a few hundred quid

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
As said, probably a few hundred quid given the work required. Original and solid would have made it a lot more desirable. Breaking it for bits might net you a bit more but that'll cost you time and effort too. With those mods already done it might suit someone looking a cheap track machine that is a bit left-field.

Always fancied dropping a turbo engine into one of these - there is very little weight to them!