Rust treaments

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Fire up a few photos if you can to get an idea...

To provide a durable stone / damage protection the POR15 is the absolute nuts. As it's been said it can be picky about the surface you apply it to. Do note they do provide a metal prep to apply to rusty areas prior to POR15.

Beyond that, I would suggest the BiltHamber products as a cavity wax, additional layer of protection and their underbody coatings. In fairness to @Woodcutter the Dinitrol products have a great reputation too. I can only really comment on what I have used and had success with.

A combination of both POR15 as a hard coating and a cavity wax / underbody coatings would be unbeatable.

We stocked POR15 for a while, but it was more the DIY guys who bought it. Bodyshop customers time and time again buy Dinitrol products, take from that what you will!

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
Cheers guys for all the recommendations! I decided to go with Por15 metal prep and paint, hopefully it will be delivered next week.

Planning on starting the prep tomorrow after I refit the interior.... part of me is thinking of pulling the entire car apart again to do this but I doubt I have the motivation to put the engine back in a 3rd time.

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Is there any clear products that will convert and inhibit rust? Ideally runny enough to soak down into and around seams?
Dont fancy slapping on black POR15 as it would look like its hiding sins that are not there.

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Is there any clear products that will convert and inhibit rust? Ideally runny enough to soak down into and around seams?
Dont fancy slapping on black POR15 as it would look like its hiding sins that are not there.
I don’t think there are clear rust converters on the market as the colour change is a result of the conversion reaction.

Have a look at buzzweld UP. It’s not a converter as such, rather a rust inhibiter and is clear.
Buzzweld U.P. Underbody Preservation Glass re-enforced Underbody Lacquer

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Postage is killer. Try eBay?

Was going to buy a 6 pack last time and sell a few on here but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it lol.
Just checked. It's on eBay @swansty

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Postage is killer. Try eBay?

Was going to buy a 6 pack last time and sell a few on here but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it lol.
Just checked. It's on eBay @swansty
Cheers, will take a look but I think all were looking massive postage. I got a 6 pack of tins (the wee ones) but need some top coat as I have stuff to do which will be exposed to UV

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Cheers, will take a look but I think all were looking massive postage. I got a 6 pack of tins (the wee ones) but need some top coat as I have stuff to do which will be exposed to UV

You can paint over it with normal car paint. I did sills with it a few years back.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, sorry, didn't see the top coat bit. Just depends where it is located and how exposed it is. The POR-15 top coat is still tougher than paint, but not as tough as POR-15 itself. Normal paint will do the job of covering, just depends if it will hold up with use if it is on an exposed part.

Don't really know if the UV thing really matters to be honest. The etch primer is essential though if it is to be applied on anything smooth. Basically anything that isn't old rusted and pitted metal already.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
This is surface rusted. It’s a tow bar actually. Satin black would be my preference so maybe try that first. Don’t think it will hold up to much though

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I doubt anything would hold up on the ball itself obviously.

For the rest of the gubbins POR-15 itself should be fine without top coat. Most of it is away under the car anyway. I've used it on suspension bits that would see similar exposure to road debris.

If it's rusted then just brush off all the lose stuff and then paint straight on. The rougher the surface the better it sticks.

If you want a particular finish then try a top coat and see how it goes.

Or get the whole thing blasted and powder coated. Powder coating doesn't always last when exposed to road debris though in my own experience. But I know others like it. All depends on use I guess.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Yeah I would be tempted to maybe just try it without the top coat and see how it goes. Ideally I want a factory finish which is a strange Matt black, nearly like a sand blasted finish as per photo. I don’t reckon powder coating would hold up under the conditions.
image.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That doesn't look too bad. Galvanised or zinc plated maybe?

The finish of POR-15 itself is gloss black, and it settles smooth regardless of the condition of the underlying surface.

Powder coating is more of a matt slightly textured finish.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
That doesn't look too bad. Galvanised or zinc plated maybe?

The finish of POR-15 itself is gloss black, and it settles smooth regardless of the condition of the underlying surface.

Powder coating is more of a matt slightly textured finish.
Nah it’s def a dull black finish. I took a pic of the best bit to show the original finish!
this is the side support... all surface rust but want it tidied.

6394ED95-6BFC-4668-8910-A3C27758364B.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 30

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, that's just cosmetic. POR-15 will clean that up if you don't mind a gloss black smooth finish. Might still be useful with the etch primer first, it looks quite smooth.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
@Apis would the rustoleum be hard enough to withstand the amount of road debris and salt spray the tow bar is subjected to? I have the por here so will likely just slap it in and regret it forever more

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
@Apis would the rustoleum be hard enough to withstand the amount of road debris and salt spray the tow bar is subjected to? I have the por here so will likely just slap it in and regret it forever more
I reckon if it's well prepped for any rust then it would be. Goes straight onto steel, and even aluminium without etch primer.
I've use it on motorbike engine casings and forks, which can take a fair bit hammering from grit because they are right behind the front tyre. Seems to stand up well in my experience although I don't ride much in salt season.
It's about £12 a can for aerosol. Don't know if it's available for brush or not.