Rust treaments

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
For anyone interested I've a brand new jar of Bilt Hamber Deox gel that i would sell. Meant to be really good but i sold the car before i got to use it. Pm me

20200511_180737.jpg

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Right, wish I’d never started this but hey ho. Tidying up the chassis and under body as best I can with both still attached to each other and me rolling around on the driveway. There is a part of the underbody which is particularly bad but also nigh on impossible to get at. The easiest access is about 30cm from the metal. Is there anything could be sprayed in or is it a waste of time as the rust is already well developed? There is a section just further aft which is perfect because it has received overspray from when the brake lines have been coated in some sort of grease.
915E76DC-5BF0-48F1-87C6-4CAF231ADD57.jpeg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
probably want to scrape as much loose rust off and then apply some sort of rust treatment to it, and then paint etc after.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
probably want to scrape as much loose rust off and then apply some sort of rust treatment to it, and then paint etc after.
Yeah that’s what I thought. Impossible to reach though for that sort of thing. Prob best left alone rather than spraying stuff in which will just flake off. Wonder would motorbike chain oil stick and coat it....

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Could try ACF50. It'll reach and creep and is designed for that.

That's if it really is unreachable.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
leaving it alone is probably worst option if you intend to keep the car for a long time.

Looks easy enough to reach, as you got a clear shot with the camera ?

And rust treatments dont fall off, they react with the rust to kill it and form a barrier over it.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Looks easy maybe but it’s not. It’s a good 30cm from where your hand can get to. Camera was pushed through the gap a bit. The original paint is peeling so I figured anything applied to that will flake off. Conscious I don’t want to create a trap behind any coating to accelerate the rust. Will take another look later on and see what I can do. It’s one of a few inaccessible bits so not like it’s the lat bit for complete treatment

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
On some I used a long lever bar where I sharpened the end to scrape rust off. 30cm is no issue.

And the likes of Rustisol mentioned before is brushed on and it reacts with the rust and metal, and forms a hard coating over it. Again a long brush will reach up in.

I got some from @Woodcutter some time ago.

You may not get it all, but the more you can kill the better, and the sooner the better.

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
I wouldn't leave it like that, it's only going to develop.

If access is that difficult it would be worth using a sprayable rust convertor to inhibit the rust (ideally needs removed manually to stop rust completely) then follow up with a zinc primer and a layer of protection on top like wax oil. My worry is the rust will still grow but you should be able to slow it down by putting as many layers between it and the elements as possible.

That or a long brush as mentioned, or drop whatever is in the way out of the road but that might not be viable on the driveway.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
long pry bar set, and sharpen the ends to scrap the loose rust off.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Kurust or similar in a squirty bottle and go at it from any angle you can get in from, then a healthy dose of paint over it would help.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Got a lot of it scraped away yesterday and last night. Sore neck today mind but only one side of the chassis to go and all the scraping is complete I hope. Was planning to paint POR-15 on to try and stop (slow) the rust and leave it at that.

eamon343

RMS Regular
Dinitrol RC800 or RC900 (same product only one is aerosol and one needs applied via gun), which is a rust convertor/inhibitor. Then Coat with Dinitrol 4941.

Job jobbed.

Do you stock RC900 and 4941? Both in aerosol? Could you pm me a price for a can of RC900 and 5 cans of 4941?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Got a lot of it scraped away yesterday and last night. Sore neck today mind but only one side of the chassis to go and all the scraping is complete I hope. Was planning to paint POR-15 on to try and stop (slow) the rust and leave it at that.

It should work for that. It works better the rougher the surface.

Just as long as the surface is free from grease and oil and such.

Remember you will never get it off if you get it on your hands or your face or whatever so dress accordingly, especially in a tight spot like that :innocent:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If you want to make sure you never have to do it again then put an etch primer on first (y)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
If you want it to last put a layer or 2 of zinga cold galvanising system paint on the primer then top coat(water based) it’s used a lot on oil rigs and boats! You can get it from ridgeway for about £15 for a 1kg tin, it’s amazing stuff a different league to many “zinc rich” primers out there. Only thing is it works best with clean metal. You can apply kurust or similar and then this on top.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Or get rid of the rusty car and one one that isnt lol
I couldn’t replace it tbh, love it and it does everything I need. I don’t think anything I’ve seen would have been catastrophic for a good few years yet but I likely won’t have a time period like this again to look at it and do it