Rusty hubs

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
So you literally don’t even wire brush the rust back? Seems rash?!

The rust wasn't that bad.

New discs fitted but had the oil film on them. Cleaned them off with brake cleaner and let them 'season' for a month or so until there was a good even layer of rust. Then brush painted with POR-15. They're still perfect 1 year on.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
POR is hands down THE best product for the job that you can get. It doesn't peel off like dinitrol or rub off like waxoyl, it goes rock hard. Try painting a bit of it on the screw top of a bottle, screw it on and leaving to to dry and then try and open the bottle

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
So you literally don’t even wire brush the rust back? Seems rash?!

Don't think of por15 as paint, it's designing to react with rust to make a new compound that forms almost like a hard shell over the metal.

I've been using it for the first time restoring my mx5, and it's amazing how tough the finish is on the suspension arms I've done.

I just give them I light hand wire brush to remove flakey bits. It's honestly amazing stuff imo

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
Don't think of por15 as paint, it's designing to react with rust to make a new compound that forms almost like a hard shell over the metal.

I've been using it for the first time restoring my mx5, and it's amazing how tough the finish is on the suspension arms I've done.

I just give them I light hand wire brush to remove flakey bits. It's honestly amazing stuff imo

Did you get it locally Warren?

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Anyone found the smaller size tins of POR 15 in silver anywhere. The larger tins are £30 odds and I really only need to do the rear hubs as my fronts have aluminium bells. I do have some silver etch primer which gives a nice OEM look but I think I prefer the idea of the robustness of POR

Neil_M

RMS Regular

I use Hammerite on mine, no problems at all even under track use. Arguably Rustoleum seems to be a little easier to use.

An etch primer will help on new and old discs.

As mentioned before, half the advantage of the Brembo discs is the coating they use on the disc / hubs.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
So it's actually the disc that's being discussed here ?

I guess doing a DIY nickel type plating might fend off rust ? Or even copper plating ?

Might be a cheap and easy one to try ? Doubt it'd be of any concern on the actual disc face as it'd wear off anyway

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T

I use Hammerite on mine, no problems at all even under track use. Arguably Rustoleum seems to be a little easier to use.

An etch primer will help on new and old discs.

As mentioned before, half the advantage of the Brembo discs is the coating they use on the disc / hubs.

mine were done on Friday, just need to se how long it last.