Rusty hubs

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Hi all,

My car only has 6k on it but the hubs are rusting already, I'm going to get them painted.

Any recommendations for the best stuff to paint them with? I don't want to be doing it every 6 months, so I would really like to ensure I use something with decent longevity.

Cheers.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
By hub do you mean the bell of the brake disc?

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
PMG painted mine, twice, but I think its the nature of the discs that are the problem!

VW are going to paint mine for free as I complained about them not being replaced, I was just curious if I could have provided them with the paint it if better than what they would use.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Just a point if using fallout removers/reacting wheel cleaners to clean you wheels regularly it can accelerate rust in those type of areas.

KevM

RMS Regular
VW are going to paint mine for free as I complained about them not being replaced, I was just curious if I could have provided them with the paint it if better than what they would use.

Hold up, hold up....
You asked the dealer to replace your brake discs under warranty because you had surface corrosion on the bells?

Is this actual real-life??! 😂

SPIKE_

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI | JCW
It is a nightmare and glad VW are sorting for you. I assume it is only the rears as you have the CSS front discs on the TCR?

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
Hold up, hold up....
You asked the dealer to replace your brake discs under warranty because you had surface corrosion on the bells?

Is this actual real-life??! 😂

I know they go eventually having owned an S3 for 3 year, however I didn’t expect them to be as bad as they are with only 6k on the car, they actually started showing signs from as little as 4K. The S3 was well into 18 months of ownership and around 16k before they were really noticeable.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Paint over the rust with POR-15 and never have to worry about it again. Wouldn't paint my wheel barrow with hammerite to be honest. It never seems to last.

Used some galvanising spray paint on the A4 because it was lying there and I'd used all my POR-15. Not sure how it'll last but will report back.

KevM

RMS Regular
DCD06C27-68B4-4FD9-9B7E-9B79AED557B8.jpeg
EBFDB22F-61C5-4C64-B783-27A3C120CBF3.jpeg
4CA65BB1-6571-4CFE-BBCF-54C024EAE087.jpeg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I can't believe OEM put cars out without protected discs

I have Zimmermann discs on the front and Brembos on the rear of my car, and both came entirely painted/coated. No oil on them like uncoated discs.

replacing the fronts after 36,000 hard miles, and there was zero rust on the bells or the cooling vanes.

I was equally surprised on getting the cheapest discs possible for my mates Vectra from Colin Adams, that they were also painted from the factory!

Martyn

RMS Regular
I must say the disks on my Cayman don't seem to rust at all.

When you leave the car in for a service they paint the visible metal that connects the disc to the wheel to tidy it up and make it look like new.

I would have had problems with rust when I owned VW's - the discs must be poor quality metal.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
I must say the disks on my Cayman don't seem to rust at all.

When you leave the car in for a service they paint the visible metal that connects the disc to the wheel to tidy it up and make it look like new.

I would have had problems with rust when I owned VW's - the discs must be poor quality metal.

It seems to be a particular problem with VAG cars, I had the same problem on my S3 but never had the problem on any of my BMWs

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I was equally surprised on getting the cheapest discs possible for my mates Vectra from Colin Adams, that they were also painted from the factory!

Most discs come like that now, and without the old rustproofing oily stuff they used to have.

But discs are made fro ferrous metal, they rust. If you use them more often, they will rust less as there will always be a little heat in them.

If a car sits about a lot outside, irregular use...they will rust faster.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

@Coog, I had a google of this stuff and there appears to be 3 products. Did you use the cleaner and primer or just horse the paint straight on after a bit of a sand down? That’s what I always do with Hammerite, not sure I could be assed with primer etc as the job is already hateful enough as it is!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
@Coog, I had a google of this stuff and there appears to be 3 products. Did you use the cleaner and primer or just horse the paint straight on after a bit of a sand down? That’s what I always do with Hammerite, not sure I could be assed with primer etc as the job is already hateful enough as it is!
Por15

The por means paint over rust. It bonds directly best to a rusty surface. The primer is actually to help it bond to none rusty surfaces.

You are best just removing any lose rust and paint on to that.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

For the hubs I waited until there was some rust, then painted.

The primer is only needed for clean, rust free metal and what it actually appeared to do was accelerate corrosion to give the POR-15 something to hold on to lol.

It is some gear.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So you literally don’t even wire brush the rust back? Seems rash?!