S2000 final drive

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Anyone any experience with changing this?

Factory seems to be 4.1 - changing to 4.57 or 4.77 seems to give decent acceleration lift with obvious cons of lower top end ( which I don’t care about ) and more shifting.

Mfactory do a 4.57 for around 500.

Anyone know who could install this locally and any idea of price ? I’m dromore Co Down

Thanks
Chris

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Are you doing it with the intention of Track work? or what are you gearing it for?

Murray Motorsport in Newry would likely install it, they have experience with S2k stuff.

Last edited:

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
No immediate track work but maybe down the line. I have coilovers and upgraded front discs and pads, so it’s handling fairly well. I’ll prob want a hardtop prior to any tracking.

Really just looking a bit more lift lower down. I do mainly B road driving at the weekend in it. And would be using 1-4 gears mostly, but obviously do use 5 and 6.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
I think it’s the 4.77 - Its meant to give the best lift but at a cost of more shifting. I thought the 4.57 might be the best compromise.

Kia sportage final drive is supposed to be the job

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Cool, yea I messaged him earlier for info. I didn’t know he had 4.77 in thought it was 4.44. Good to know someone local has it and a local firm can reliably do it.

Currently waiting for my aem v2 intake to land, looking forward to getting that on.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Got a reasonably good price for the mfactory 4.57 final drive now, just need to decide on 4.57 or 4.77 and where to fit.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
@lordchris I'd suggest giving AI Autosport in Carrickfergus a shout to fit it.

He fitted the Final Drive and LSD into the gearbag on my EP3, faultless.

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Kia 4,77 CWP pairs are available from Kia for around £250 new IIRC. I got a secondhand one for £180 delivered a couple of years back for my MX5 and it has been fine. It was installed using the original bearings and shims and when checked for engagement and lash was bang on. Done around 35 events with it since pretty much giving it a hard time with no bother yet.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Have sourced a 2nd hand 4.625 for reasonable money, so just need to decide whether to fit.

Starting to wonder if the final drive has already been fettled with. Hitting 38/39 in 1st and about 59/60 in 2nd. From reading online should be low to mid 40s and mid 60s.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Deffo worth checking before opening it up. Best place to check revs and speeds will be an owners workshop manual if one is available.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Yip 16s all round. Few more runs getting 62 in 2nd now but still 40 or under in 1st.

Maybe it’s higher and the digital speedo is running slow.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
I get the same speeds in 1st, 2nd on stock one. Was always tempted to get one myself

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Depending on the gearbox etc on s2000, but comparing, it to a Tuned AE86, the 4.77 on road is awsome for staging and track but not ideal in a daily or long trips.. Getting to Mondello I'm sitting at silly RPM lol 😂 amazing difference to a car though for acceleration. Read plenty on the Owner forums, maybe 4.5 is ideal, but take time and get it right as you only want to to it once.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Great to know - yea i had read about downside of useless 1st and high revving. I use the s2000 for evening and weekend blasting, anything that requires comfort i go in the a8.

About to pull the pin on a 4.62 kia gear set and have the local mechanic lined up to change.

Depending on the gearbox etc on s2000, but comparing, it to a Tuned AE86, the 4.77 on road is awsome for staging and track but not ideal in a daily or long trips.. Getting to Mondello I'm sitting at silly RPM lol 😂 amazing difference to a car though for acceleration. Read plenty on the Owner forums, maybe 4.5 is ideal, but take time and get it right as you only want to to it once.