S3 - golf r tuning .

zafturbo

RMS Regular
i know @Boydie has his s3 tuned to stage 2 I believe but I was wondering if anyone has went a step further with say the golf r to stage 3+ or more .Who is the go to tuner for the golf over here or would it be recommended going across the water to mrc ect .i wish I had done that straight of with the s4 as they get very well spoken off on the forums .lthere figures are well up on other tuners but as anyone who knows it’s not all about big “pub” numbers so is there really that much of a difference on a true reading rr .

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
You will get the usual responses based on everyone’s own personal opinion IMO.

Did you buy a Golf R or have you still got the S4?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
Just buy an RS3
I have been looking at rs3 for ages but there still £30+ k .can buy a good r or s3 for much less .i know there totally different before anyone says that lol.an rs3 wouldn’t see which way a well tuned r or s3 went .

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
You will get the usual responses based on everyone’s own personal opinion IMO.

Did you buy a Golf R or have you still got the S4?
Only interested in replies from owners if there is any on here .not doing the Autotune - t tronics debate again lol.nah still haven’t bought anything tbh .

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Torquetronix have a 500+hp Golf R as a demo car. He's an ignoramus but might be a starting point for you or as least worth making a call to

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Reason I didn’t go for a RS3 and I did consider it was because to get one I wanted, I’d have to spend £10-12k to get the right one or a quarter of that to go Stage 3.

I had the bug from the drag racing so I pulled the trigger in September.

Car is now in the region of 450-500bhp fuel depending. Does 0-60 in around 3.5s and I run it daily with no issues. Wouldn’t even know it had that power under the bonnet.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
And mine is Revo tunes with their IS38ETR turbo

Forge FMIC
Forge throttle pipe
Racing line R600 intake
Revo turbo inlet
Forge turbo muffler
IS38ETR turbo
Milltek cast downpipe
Milltek car back resonated valveless exhaust
NGK racing plugs (RS7)
Revo Stage 3 ECU
Revo Stage 3 DSG

Think that’s it. Had a few gins.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
And mine is Revo tunes with their IS38ETR turbo

Forge FMIC
Forge throttle pipe
Racing line R600 intake
Revo turbo inlet
Forge turbo muffler
IS38ETR turbo
Milltek cast downpipe
Milltek car back resonated valveless exhaust
NGK racing plugs (RS7)
Revo Stage 3 ECU
Revo Stage 3 DSG

Think that’s it. Had a few gins.

Aye but what’s your 1/4 mile punk ?!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I have been looking at rs3 for ages but there still £30+ k .can buy a good r or s3 for much less .i know there totally different before anyone says that lol.an rs3 wouldn’t see which way a well tuned r or s3 went .

That’s why I drive an S3 and not an RS3. Couldn’t afford an RS3 without adding finance, my cash could only stretch to an S3 and I’m not up for finance for a bit of pub **** swinging. I’d love an RS3 but I’m happy enough with my stock S3.
Anyway, what’s wrong with your S4?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
That’s why I drive an S3 and not an RS3. Couldn’t afford an RS3 without adding finance, my cash could only stretch to an S3 and I’m not up for finance for a bit of pub **** swinging. I’d love an RS3 but I’m happy enough with my stock S3.
Anyway, what’s wrong with your S4?
That’s exactly my position .not into finance on a car and my current position is tricky let’s say .the s4 is as far as I’m prepared to go with it tbh ,next step requires cooling at a considerable expense and it will only gain approx 20-30hp with associated mods .when you get higher up the power it wouldn’t even be noticeable .It is also far to big a car for what I now need .its been 100% reliable and never once in nearly 4 years needed a single thing repaired ,been a brilliant car tbh .its now coming 7 yrs old and just want to keep up the years with a fresher car .

genman

G
S3 and Golf R could be classed tgese days as sleeper cars.. both fast and tuneable.
Almost traded my VXR in for a R but as quick and nimble as the R is .. it just didnt feel special inside. no nav. no leather.... no heated seats. no active suspension and barely a single internal sporty item .. ok its got 4 tailpipes but thats about it and would have retained the same potential Haldex issue the VXR carries.... so it was going to cost £7k to change to a car 10mths newer.

you will enjoy the R or S3 for fun drives but i think you'll miss lots of the S4 virtues.....id accept the S4 for a while longer and see what arises. maybe a newer S4, 5 or 6

Cro

RMS Regular
S3 and Golf R could be classed tgese days as sleeper cars.. both fast and tuneable.
Almost traded my VXR in for a R but as quick and nimble as the R is .. it just didnt feel special inside. no nav. no leather.... no heated seats. no active suspension and barely a single internal sporty item .. ok its got 4 tailpipes but thats about it and would have retained the same potential Haldex issue the VXR carries.... so it was going to cost £7k to change to a car 10mths newer.

you will enjoy the R or S3 for fun drives but i think you'll miss lots of the S4 virtues.....id accept the S4 for a while longer and see what arises. maybe a newer S4, 5 or 6

I think you can be too much of a sleeper now. If you see a golf r, 3 times out of 10 it might be an enthusiast and maybe have some nice mods.
Most of the time it’s Sandra on her way to the abbeycentre who’s wondering why you’re staring across at her.
People will still turn their head to look at a nice s3, and they’ll push their granny out of the way to see an rs3. Depends what you want from a car I guess.

Unless you’ve got mad cash from winning the 1/4 mile races like Boydie, the s3 leaves scope for mods and tuning. Spunk it on an rs3 and it’s likely to remain closer to standard because either the price of similar mods have rs3 tax on them or the entire budget has been depeleted.
The snort of the rs3 though....

Last edited:

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
I think you can be too much of a sleeper now. If you see a golf r, 3 times out of 10 it might be an enthusiast and maybe have some nice mods.
Most of the time it’s Sandra on her way to the abbeycentre who’s wondering why you’re staring across at her.
People will still turn their head to look at a nice s3, and they’ll push their granny out of the way to see an rs3. Depends what you want from a car I guess.

Unless you’ve got mad cash from winning the 1/4 mile races like Boydie, the s3 leaves scope for mods and tuning. Spunk it on an rs3 and it’s likely to remain closer to standard because either the price of similar mods have rs3 tax on them or the entire budget has been depeleted.
The snort of the rs3 though....
I would only be going for the s3 cro ,I know there is like a hundred golf r owners on here and I didn’t want to offend them when they said “why not buy a golf “ ,joking guys .i think the s3 is better finished ,just my opinion and having had almost 4 totally trouble free years driving I am happy to stay with the brand if the rite car came up .
In saying that there is at least 2-3 other cars I would really consider if I had my own car sold and was in a position to buy .im worried that if I went for the s3 I would still pine for the rs3 sort of the same as when I have always looked at my s4 it looks crap compared to the rs4 .£15k cheaper though to be fair ,same as the s3 - rs3 scenario .

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
What is the bet that first comment comes back and bites me rite up the hole and I buy a golf r .equally good car and I’m not in any way running them down .:monkey:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Can’t really pine for a Rs3 when there is literally a £10k difference in price.