Saab 9-3 rough idle

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

daz9k

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
So the new car is running a little lumpy at idle and sometimes throwing a p0300 ( multiple cylinder missfire) code but only through the torque app . No cel on in the car.

Doing some mooching trying to teach myself how to actually use the torque app well and I found this...but what does it mean ?

uploadfromtaptalk1432422036370.jpeg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
minor faults dont always throw a CEL.

Although a repeat misfire should really...is there definitely a bulb in place ?

If it's running lumpy and some form of diagnostics is also saying there is a misfire...then both of them are telling you there is a problem.

daz9k

RMS Regular
OP
daz9k
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
The cel works because it threw up a p0244 ( boost control solenoid out of range) that went out and hasn't come back since I swapped the two around.

daz9k

RMS Regular
OP
daz9k
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
Not sure about fuel filter . Was planning on giving the maf a clean today

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I'd be doing the fuel filter as well, as your don't know what "diesel" has been through it.

daz9k

RMS Regular
OP
daz9k
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
Changed the plugs because it had the wrong ones in. Can you test the coils? If more than one is on its way out would that throw the multi missfire code (p0300) and not a cylinder specific code?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'd be doing the fuel filter as well, as your don't know what "diesel" has been through it.

Did he fill it with diesel ?

As always some history would help. Has it ever run correctly ? and if so what tampering if any has there been prior to it not running correctly ?

daz9k

RMS Regular
OP
daz9k
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
Just had it a week . Its only a bit shuddery on idle. Changed plugs with no effect. Only torque finds the pending code for the misfire. Cleaned maf with no change and ive added some injector cleaner today and filled it up. Boost has also been all over the place . No sure what these are supposed to boost but im getting a steady 4.7psi which seems low. Im guessing is should get about .5 bar. Checked for vac leaks with no joy.

daz9k

RMS Regular
OP
daz9k
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
This thought just in. The timing chain , guides and tensioner have just been replaced. Do you think the timing could be out? Who would you guys recommend to look at it? I dont mind traveling . Theres no way im using a local garage again.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Just had it a week . Its only a bit shuddery on idle. Changed plugs with no effect. Only torque finds the pending code for the misfire. Cleaned maf with no change and ive added some injector cleaner today and filled it up. Boost has also been all over the place . No sure what these are supposed to boost but im getting a steady 4.7psi which seems low. Im guessing is should get about .5 bar. Checked for vac leaks with no joy.

So this isnt the same car you were mucking about with fuel pumps too ?

And if the car ran fine before the timing chain, and any work really...and doesnt run fine now....surely that has to point at the work either not done correctly, or something else has been interfered with during the work ?

daz9k

RMS Regular
OP
daz9k
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
No this is not the 9000.
The chain was replaced just before I brought it last week. I didnt know the car before the chain etc was replaced. Ran fine when I test drove it and Idled fine. This misfiring is only noticeable at idle. Ive noticed the boost control solenoid and charge air solenoid have the same part number on them and look identical but have read in a few places that the charge air has a different part number.

daz9k

RMS Regular
OP
daz9k
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
Well all I can do is try these coils when they get here. If no luck there is off to someone who knows what their at. Think timing chain stuff may be beyond me. Plus I think a proper diagnostic is in order.

daz9k

RMS Regular
OP
daz9k
Drives
Saab 9000 aero
Well no luck with the coils but I have some leads now. Will post a vid of the idle as soon as my phone has more juice. Anyways idle sits about 700rpm unless you move the steering wheel left to right abit then it picks up to 900 and feels smoother. Replaced some vacuum lines and found it was all abit oily . Turns out what I think is the vacuum pump is leaking oil. The pump runs off the cam and I gather the seal has gone letting oil through and causing an air leak.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.