Saab 9-5, what to look for?

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So my neighbour is thinking of getting a 2005 Saab 9-5 2.0t (150bhp) and wants me to come along to look over it. Other than rust and basic mechanical things I’m not too sure what to look for on these and I’m heart feared of recommending something that could turn out to be a lemon.

So I was hoping that there might be some Saab experts on here who can offer some advice.

The car in question:

9A06CB35-1A23-43F3-AA7D-0DC936DD2594.png

purplea4T

RMS Regular
The older turbos sludged the sump, it did undergo a revision and they suffer less after it, can't remember what year the change was at though.
If it has xenons, the ballast unit lies under the washer bottle which can lead to faults with overfilling.
Stereos are crap as standard
They are really comfy though, bit thirsty especially the autos.
I really liked my 9-5 Vector Sport TID but it had its wee niggles.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Check the bonnet closes lol

Hard to see in photo, but headlights look cloudy too ?

Given Saab no longer do cars, are they well supported for oddball parts in the aftermarket ? Majority same as Vauxhall ?

Presumably it's a diesel ? The same Vaux engine had issues with the plastic inlet manifold breaking I think and leaking coolant, sometimes internally, sometimes externally.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The older turbos sludged the sump, it did undergo a revision and they suffer less after it, can't remember what year the change was at though.
If it has xenons, the ballast unit lies under the washer bottle which can lead to faults with overfilling.
Stereos are crap as standard
They are really comfy though, bit thirsty especially the autos.
I really liked my 9-5 Vector Sport TID but it had its wee niggles.
Yea from my googling there was a revised PCV system fitted from 2004 onwards, so in theory this one should be free from sludge. Provided it’s been serviced regularly. It does indeed have xenons, so I’ll be sure to check that. This one is the auto so maybe it mightn’t be ideal then. It does also have the flappy paddle gear change option, though I’m unsure if that would help or hinder the mpg.
Check the bonnet closes lol

Hard to see in photo, but headlights look cloudy too ?

Given Saab no longer do cars, are they well supported for oddball parts in the aftermarket ? Majority same as Vauxhall ?

Presumably it's a diesel ? The same Vaux engine had issues with the plastic inlet manifold breaking I think and leaking coolant, sometimes internally, sometimes externally.
Dude said the bonnet wasn’t closed properly in the pics but it does close ok. I’ll be sure to check it though.

As for the engine, I mentioned in the original post that it’s the 2.0t. As far as I’m aware the diesels in these were a 1.9 same as the Vauxhall variant.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Yea from my googling there was a revised PCV system fitted from 2004 onwards, so in theory this one should be free from sludge. Provided it’s been serviced regularly. It does indeed have xenons, so I’ll be sure to check that. This one is the auto so maybe it mightn’t be ideal then. It does also have the flappy paddle gear change option, though I’m unsure if that would help or hinder the mpg.

Dude said the bonnet wasn’t closed properly in the pics but it does close ok. I’ll be sure to check it though.

As for the engine, I mentioned in the original post that it’s the 2.0t. As far as I’m aware the diesels in these were a 1.9 same as the Vauxhall variant.
Auto box kills the mpg and performance stone dead on these, maybe worth a drive anyway. Its certainly no modern dsg box.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

As in a 2.0t petrol ? with only 150hp ? Doesn't sound very inspiring unless it makes a ton of torque everywhere like a diesel.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
As in a 2.0t petrol ? with only 150hp ? Doesn't sound very inspiring unless it makes a ton of torque everywhere like a diesel.
I had a test drive in one years ago and it’s a very low pressure turbo very slow and linear feeling. Also only a 4 speed auto comfy and very luxurious. The one I drove had heated and cooled seats but wasn’t for me.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Back when I was a car dealer every single time I bought a Saab it blew up before selling 😂 had 3 petrol and two diesel, everyone of them scrap lol

I know loads of people that have owned them without issue and most people that own them really rate them but I wouldn’t have one about me lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Back when I was a car dealer every single time I bought a Saab it blew up before selling 😂 had 3 petrol and two diesel, everyone of them scrap lol

I know loads of people that have owned them without issue and most people that own them really rate them but I wouldn’t have one about me lol

I'd have a proper old Saab though.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Apparently it’s a detuned engine, badged sometimes as a 1.8t. From what I’ve read online the only difference is a map. With a remap it can get anywhere up to 225bhp, according to Noobtune anyhow.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Slight hiccup, the guy doesn’t have the v5, not even the new keeper slip. It’s something I’d steer clear off myself and I’ll be saying that to my neighbour as well.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Apparently it’s a detuned engine, badged sometimes as a 1.8t. From what I’ve read online the only difference is a map. With a remap it can get anywhere up to 225bhp, according to Noobtune anyhow.

The 1.8t in the 9-3 was a detuned version of the 2.0t, same cc but badged 1.8, but to memory it's a different engine in the 9-5. Low pressure turbo, not overly nippy and pretty thirsty.