Sad news on the roads

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
My sis come across this yesterday morning .very sad for all involved .rip.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Horrible to hear, RIP :worried:

We were up the coast on Sat morning, 5 bikes in total. One near got wiped out by a farmer on a quad, one by a car overtaking oncoming cyclists and the last one was another group of bikers coming into Carrick a rede hairpins too hot with 2 of them crossing over on to our side, not forgetting the endless amount of tour coaches swinging out over our side of the road to get round corners.

Cracking road when it's quiet, think I had my best ever run up it on my own one Wednesday morning. Lethal at weekends though unfortunately.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Horrible to hear, RIP :worried:

We were up the coast on Sat morning, 5 bikes in total. One near got wiped out by a farmer on a quad, one by a car overtaking oncoming cyclists and the last one was another group of bikers coming into Carrick a rede hairpins too hot with 2 of them crossing over on to our side, not forgetting the endless amount of tour coaches swinging out over our side of the road to get round corners.

Cracking road when it's quiet, think I had my best ever run up it on my own one Wednesday morning. Lethal at weekends though unfortunately.

I'd a very quiet run home from Portrush on Saturday evening down it. Left Portrush around 7pm.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Same here, its the other idiots on the road that I worry about as the majority of bikers are careful. The standard of driving just seems to be getting worse these days and that's viewing from a seat with a metal shell around me.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Same here, its the other idiots on the road that I worry about as the majority of bikers are careful. The standard of driving just seems to be getting worse these days and that's viewing from a seat with a metal shell around me.

^^This.......... I had a very good friend killed a cpl of years ago, outside Cushendall, a very experienced rider and ex racer, by a woman reversing out onto the main road from her house.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
^^This.......... I had a very good friend killed a cpl of years ago, outside Cushendall, a very experienced rider and ex racer, by a woman reversing out onto the main road from her house.

That is awful, the poor guy.

A friend was telling me of a similar accident along the coast road, where a very experienced rider friend of his was killed when he came around a corner to be met with Chinese tourists doing a U-turn in their hire car!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
****, reading some of these replies make me not want to go up the coast road again. It just makes you realise how easy it can happen.
I think we're all guilty of pushing on, even if it's just round corners and within the speed limit. Stories like these will stay with me and will make me think next time I'm up the coast road. Just always expect the unexpected.

Thats half the fun of doing a track day like I done yesterday, can just treat it like a wide open road knowing that there's no obstacles round corners, police, diesel etc

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think a track day is really the only safe way to do it, plenty of run off and nothing unexpected or other careless drivers to worry about.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
The standard of driving just seems to be getting worse these days and that's viewing from a seat with a metal shell around me.
I watched in horror this afternoon as a Landrover attempted to overtake a cyclist on a blind left that turns quickly into another blind right, a dip and 2 junctions. (Magheramourne towards Blue Circle club) for a net gain of absolutely nothing... It's also a corner(s) that folk love to cut so it forces your road position away from the view.

****, reading some of these replies make me not want to go up the coast road again. It just makes you realise how easy it can happen.
I think we're all guilty of pushing on, even if it's just round corners and within the speed limit. Stories like these will stay with me and will make me think next time I'm up the coast road. Just always expect the unexpected.

Thats half the fun of doing a track day like I done yesterday, can just treat it like a wide open road knowing that there's no obstacles round corners, police, diesel etc
Unfortunately I think you hit the nail on the head a few posts up. This time of year a run up the coast is a weekday job 8-(

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
That is awful, the poor guy.

A friend was telling me of a similar accident along the coast road, where a very experienced rider friend of his was killed when he came around a corner to be met with Chinese tourists doing a U-turn in their hire car!

I remember that one aswell.
Unfortunatley the punishment never fits the crime on a bike.
But when its good its untouchable.

big cyril

RMS Regular
This is what puts me off getting a bike....chances are the poor chap wasn't even at fault.

This is a good point, and it's why I no longer have a bike.

But - if we're honest (not talking about this case), there is something about being on a bike that draws you into going faster, taking a few risks maybe then someone does something stupid ahead in another vehicle, it would be an inconvenience if you were in your car but on a bike at three figure speeds....

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
:worried: RIP
Any of us who have ridden or ride currently know you could get wiped out walking down the street just as handy gs, would hate be be braking that news or having it broke to my own family, and because of the mindless thoughtless drivers I also hung up my gloves. But each to their own, just stay safe guys n girls.

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
Wouldn’t go for a spin up the coast road if ya paid me...done it a few times and it was waste of time getting the bike out and Petrol. Too busy and too many lads think they can ride on it.

If you’re not wise enough to ride at your own pace or get goaded into going faster than you’re comfortable with you shouldn’t have a bike license.

Saying that thoughts go out to this poor lad it’s always sad to see something like this happen.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.