Sale of my car through Coys of kensington (information purposes)

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
It may be from 2004 but employee 4 seemed quite adamant that they were experts in the business for a long time, so much so that she considered it abusive to say otherwise.

johnm

RMS Regular
Sounds like a complete nightmare. I've no idea how you suppressed the need to fly over and stand in the office demanding it get sorted out.
I'd have been over the next day after the reserve wasn't met. At least its sorted now, you have the cash and can try and put it behind you.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Flip. I wanted a better ending for you. Number 4s change of tone is indicative of someone on the back foot going on the attack.
Were I to be in the position to sell ayclassic at auction, the information in this thread would cause me to avoid
Coys.
Are there any grounds for you to recover the below reserve monies?

Yes I was wondering about the £9k below reserve price as well. If it was in their T&Cs surely you’d have good grounds for a case and would be worth sending another solicitors letter to sound it out.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
Thanks all for your kind words. Yes it was a very difficult and stressful situation> I only held my nerve because it was always in the back of my mind that I may not have got the money and if it ended in going to court I had all the facts and they had nothing to come back at me with.

Neil was excellent. He completely understood the situation and I do believe if it hadn't have been for him I very possibly would not have got my money.

Oh and I have changed all the font and enlarged the text on the links so it's much easier to read now. Again thank you all for pointing that out.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Wow, I’m shocked at this. I don’t know how I would of coped had it been me. I was stressed just reading it.
At the start you mentioned you wanted to buy a car from a deceased friends wife. I’m guessing because of all this, you weren’t able to?
What’s view from the new owner? Are they angry at COYS as well or did COYS put all the blame on you?
Did you keep the reg in the end? And did you get the reserve price?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Hello,

my name is Frank Meyer and I work for Germany's classic car magazine AUTO BILD KLASSIK. I am writing about another former Lamborghini owner who says he is going through a similar experience with Coys. Could you please contact me – frank.meyer at autobild.de – so that we can go through the details? That would be very helpful.

Kind regards,

Frank B. Meyer

Chief Reporter

Redaktion AUTO BILD KLASSIK

Axel Springer Auto Verlag GmbH

Axel-Springer-Platz 1

20350 Hamburg

Germany

From that link above, dated a month ago

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
You should definitely email the Journalist. Maybe he’s writing a price on them.
You should try and warn as many potential victims as possible.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
Wow, I’m shocked at this. I don’t know how I would of coped had it been me. I was stressed just reading it.
At the start you mentioned you wanted to buy a car from a deceased friends wife. I’m guessing because of all this, you weren’t able to?
What’s view from the new owner? Are they angry at COYS as well or did COYS put all the blame on you?
Did you keep the reg in the end? And did you get the reserve price?

Yes I’m afraid I had to pass on my friends car.

The new owner had the expense of storing the car until it was all sorted and they refused to pay any of the cost even though they accepted it was down to issues their end.

I did get my Reg but only because the new owner was so understanding and helpful.

No I didn’t get the full reserve. Thanks to Neil I think I was lucky to get out with anything.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
Hello,

my name is Frank Meyer and I work for Germany's classic car magazine AUTO BILD KLASSIK. I am writing about another former Lamborghini owner who says he is going through a similar experience with Coys. Could you please contact me – frank.meyer at autobild.de – so that we can go through the details? That would be very helpful.

Kind regards,

Frank B. Meyer

Chief Reporter

Redaktion AUTO BILD KLASSIK

Axel Springer Auto Verlag GmbH

Axel-Springer-Platz 1

20350 Hamburg

Germany

From that link above, dated a month ago

Was this guy specifically looking to contact me?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Was this guy specifically looking to contact me?

No he replied to one of the posts on that Scamion website posted above but I’m sure he’d love a look at your website and the documented cluster**** you have on there. As above, may help him get the story to print and warn any potential future victims.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I would have imagined that Coys of Kensington would have been one of the more prestigious and well regarded auctioneers so it just goes to show, nightmare.

Edit- read through the lot: what about the discrepancy between the hammer price and the reserve? Have you let their contractual obligation to pay you the difference slide?

Btw, you are too nice for your own good (mean that in a good way)

Last edited:

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
I would have imagined that Coys of Kensington would have been one of the more prestigious and well regarded auctioneers so it just goes to show, nightmare.

Edit- read through the lot: what about the discrepancy between the hammer price and the reserve? Have you let their contractual obligation to pay you the difference slide?

Let it go because as said was only thankful I got out with money. But I am posting this everywhere I can so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Btw, you are too nice for your own good (mean that in a good way)

Lol thank you. I treat everyone the way I'd like to be treated right up until they crap on me, then the gloves come off along with my wheels.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Awful treatment for sure. Felt my blood boiling just reading it. Very pleased Neil was able to come up trumps, although unfortunate it had to come to that!

richie_mck

RMS Regular
There were some very shady tactic used in their conduct, when you read back at their first contact what they were offering was almost too good to be true but i suppose that's how they reel them in.

I would say £6.5k out of pocket is far from resolved and for anyone reading in the future i would add in a conclusion regarding the money you were left out of pocket by them selling under the reserve price and deciding not to fulfil their own terms of contract. What is the point in setting a reserve if they decide to sell anyway.

I hope it get resolved fully.