Sale of my car through Coys of kensington (information purposes)

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Surely as a creditor your first point of contact should be the appointed administrators.

Names and Address of Administrators: Anthony John Wright (IP No. 10870) and Alastair Rex Massey (IP No. 16890) both of FRP Advisory Trading Limited, 2nd Floor, 110 Cannon Street, London, EC4N 6EU

Further details contact: The Joint Administrators, Tel: 020 3005 4000

nosnikrap

RMS Member
Drives
MGB
Nothing new here with Coys. I sold a race car at the Autosport show some years ago. Before the sale started they wanted me to reduce the reserve. They also said if it didnt meet reserve they would sell and top it up themselves. Luckily it made a decent price. But it took them nearly 3 months to pay me at a time when I was desperate for funds, the only reason I sold the car!

I did OK compared with a guy I met some time later. He had I think 5 cars in the same auction. Coys contacted him, and asked him to remove the one car that hadn't sold. He had been at the auction so knew which car hadn't sold. When he turned up they had the paperwork for 4 cars that hadn't sold! Apart from the logistical problems of then arranging for 4 cars to be removed Coys had obviously knocked the cars down (to the back wall!) so it looked as if they had had a successful sale. At least he got his cars back!

Auctioneers? Dont you just love them?

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
i watched the car years last night 911 v mustang year being 1964 and 1 of the judges was from Coys i think his name was Rutledge

Adamski007

RMS Member
Drives
Bentley
I bought a Bentley Continental R from the Coys sale on 22 February on the hammer at £21k. I'm extremely happy with the car. However, yesterday the police pulled me over (four squad cars and more coppers than I could count) and said it had been reported stolen on 1 June.

The previous owner has not received his payment from Coys and therefore registered it as stolen. He also told me, when we spoke together for the first time today, they sold it lower than the reserve they'd agreed. He believes Coys stole his car, and that's how he's approaching his pending legal action.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, while I feel ENORMOUS sympathy for this guy and I really hope he gets the money he's owed by Coys either through the administrator or by suing Coys for fraud, I, having bought the car in good faith and fulfilled all my contractual obligations, believe the car is rightfully mine and don't want to get involved in a dispute between the previous owner and Coys.

As it stands, the previous owner refuses to remove the car from the police's stolen register and until he does, or his dispute with Coys is settled, I am not allowed to drive my car. Clearly Coys are the bad guys here, but I seem to have been caught in the middle.

I'm really stressed about it. I found all this out only yesterday! Please, I hate to ask for free advice, but how worried should I be? I just want to be able to drive my lovely car (and not get nicked in the process)!!

I'd love to get your thoughts. Thanks ever so much for your help.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
I bought a Bentley Continental R from the Coys sale on 22 February on the hammer at £21k. I'm extremely happy with the car. However, yesterday the police pulled me over (four squad cars and more coppers than I could count) and said it had been reported stolen on 1 June.

The previous owner has not received his payment from Coys and therefore registered it as stolen. He also told me, when we spoke together for the first time today, they sold it lower than the reserve they'd agreed. He believes Coys stole his car, and that's how he's approaching his pending legal action.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, while I feel ENORMOUS sympathy for this guy and I really hope he gets the money he's owed by Coys either through the administrator or by suing Coys for fraud, I, having bought the car in good faith and fulfilled all my contractual obligations, believe the car is rightfully mine and don't want to get involved in a dispute between the previous owner and Coys.

As it stands, the previous owner refuses to remove the car from the police's stolen register and until he does, or his dispute with Coys is settled, I am not allowed to drive my car. Clearly Coys are the bad guys here, but I seem to have been caught in the middle.

I'm really stressed about it. I found all this out only yesterday! Please, I hate to ask for free advice, but how worried should I be? I just want to be able to drive my lovely car (and not get nicked in the process)!!

I'd love to get your thoughts. Thanks ever so much for your help.

If you haven’t already speak to a solicitor and there is one on this site as a sponsor who have experience with this COYS group

@NeilMcG

Adamski007

RMS Member
Drives
Bentley
If you haven’t already speak to a solicitor and there is one on this site as a sponsor who have experience with this COYS group

@NeilMcG

UPDATE FROM THE COPS: "We've investigated and we are satisfied you are the rightful owner of the vehicle and are closing the case. Thanks for all the information you provided, it was invaluable."

Phew. Time for a road trip, I think.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
UPDATE FROM THE COPS: "We've investigated and we are satisfied you are the rightful owner of the vehicle and are closing the case. Thanks for all the information you provided, it was invaluable."

nosnikrap

RMS Member
Drives
MGB

I think you are very lucky. But think about the poor sod who has lost his car and not got paid! And has probably got no chance of receiving anything.

Coys have been really bad boys. Again!!!

Adamski007

RMS Member
Drives
Bentley
I think you are very lucky. But think about the poor sod who has lost his car and not got paid! And has probably got no chance of receiving anything.

Coys have been really bad boys. Again!!!

They certainly have. I'm amazed no one went to jail the first time.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
i watched the car years last night 911 v mustang year being 1964 and 1 of the judges was from Coys i think his name was Rutledge
42245FC0-E397-4298-A500-80228E4CB4BD.jpeg

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Well it's still going on, isn't it? There's nothing stopping a group of you (e.g. you and some of the recent members who joined because of this thread) approaching the beeb about this.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii

Coys under new but old management. The story about the Bugatti con is crazy.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular

Coys under new but old management. The story about the Bugatti con is crazy.

You have got to ask what is that 'brand' actually worth now and why bother keeping the Coys name if starting from new as they claim.

Sounds like those who were running it should be locked up for a good long time.