Sale or return dealer options

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
A mate is after Any ideas on a few dealers that do sale or return, tried hollybrook and performance cars NI but only hollybrook got back to my mate, he is curious to get another few options. All I’m doing is passing on details to him.
Cheers

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Folk don't realise the responsibility doesn't end after 6 months warranty. I've customers trying to claim off me for issues from 2-3 years ago!

You'd soon see who your "mate" is when you have to ask for the money back after 2-3 years on an unwound deal!!

Ain't worth it. I am so careful what I stock now its highly restrictive, but worth being so.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Drop me a message - I'd have a look at SOR.
Folk don't realise the responsibility doesn't end after 6 months warranty. I've customers trying to claim off me for issues from 2-3 years ago!

You'd soon see who your "mate" is when you have to ask for the money back after 2-3 years on an unwound deal!!

I've a customer trying to claim 6 years after sale which is also 2 years after her finance agreement ended! It's a nightmare. But the public don't see it.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Drop me a message - I'd have a look at SOR.

I've a customer trying to claim 6 years after sale which is also 2 years after her finance agreement ended! It's a nightmare. But the public don't see it.

How do claims after that long even get going anywhere?

Then people wonder why dealers prices and trade in amounts are what they are.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
We live in a world now that people know if they complain loud enough they will usually get what they want.

My mate works for Audi and he says the amount of work they do on older out of warranty cars is unreal and usually 80% of the cost coughed up by a good will gesture

Shout loud enough and you'll never open your wallet, annoys my ***** when others are trying to live an honest life

Jason

RMS Regular
We live in a world now that people know if they complain loud enough they will usually get what they want.

My mate works for Audi and he says the amount of work they do on older out of warranty cars is unreal and usually 80% of the cost coughed up by a good will gesture
The general public have NO shame or decency and will do ANYTHING to get out of paying for everything.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Can't see any big issue with getting rid of a claim someone tried to make after several years. If your paperwork is clear about the warranty etc and they have had the car say 3 years there ain't any legal case that will go anywhere if even half handled correctly. Possibly more an issue of not making as much money on SOR.

I have sold on that basis many times with a local dealer and it's always worked great. Cars have always been immaculate and perfect which of course helps for everyone.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If dealers are coughing up to 80% on old cars, then it's no wonder some people are chancing their arm.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
There can be a bit of ropey shinanigans on all sides to be fair, I've seen cars for sale that at the very last minute become cars being sold on behalf of friends/family etc. I've no issue with the ones that are upfront from the start about it and price accordingly though.

I do think some general public expectations are too high, and they expect a 100% perfect car, even when buying used that's a fair few years old & well priced.

But then you'll also get some dealers with fancy adverts describing things as immaculate or must be seen to be believed, putting things in the adverts to attract buyers but then shrugging their shoulders when those things aren't really as described or in some cases misleading. It's easy enough not to buy and walk away but the real test comes when you buy something in good faith, return with an issue and see how it's resolved - shows you who's worth returning to or recommending in future.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Recently came across advert for Howard Abraham and they actually had on the advert an honest description of a used car. They had put that there were marks on the alloys and a very small mark on a panel. I thought that was refreshing for once to see.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Recently came across advert for Howard Abraham and they actually had on the advert an honest description of a used car. They had put that there were marks on the alloys and a very small mark on a panel. I thought that was refreshing for once to see.

There's a guy I've bought half a dozen cars from over the years and he's absolutely brilliant like that. Think he's retired now unfortunately.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Can't see any big issue with getting rid of a claim someone tried to make after several years. If your paperwork is clear about the warranty etc and they have had the car say 3 years there ain't any legal case that will go anywhere if even half handled correctly. Possibly more an issue of not making as much money on SOR.

The legal case can be anything it wants to be, quiet, loud or dismissed in an instance, but nothing is more important to a dealer than their reputation and if that's threatened by word of mouth slander, they will almost always cough up to protect that.
I've given a full refund on a car at least twice over the head of people threatening to "name and shame" or "take it to the internet", because the couple of grand or whatever wasn't worth the slabbering, and frankly not having to listen to those people again was worth the cost - despite the legalities being 100% leaning my way, having your name or reputation run down isn't worth it. You have to be very adamant as a dealer of any kind, or actually in any kind of trade these days, to dig your heels in on a situation and run the gauntlet of bad press. I've done that once or twice, not over cars but over other things, and you do question after listening to the moans and whinges of people for days, months, even years on end in some cases, whether it was worth it at all. Although sometimes the "long grass" throws up a few interesting changes.
In short, what they said. Don't do it.

Jason

RMS Regular
The legal case can be anything it wants to be, quiet, loud or dismissed in an instance, but nothing is more important to a dealer than their reputation and if that's threatened by word of mouth slander, they will almost always cough up to protect that.
I've given a full refund on a car at least twice over the head of people threatening to "name and shame" or "take it to the internet", because the couple of grand or whatever wasn't worth the slabbering, and frankly not having to listen to those people again was worth the cost - despite the legalities being 100% leaning my way, having your name or reputation run down isn't worth it. You have to be very adamant as a dealer of any kind, or actually in any kind of trade these days, to dig your heels in on a situation and run the gauntlet of bad press. I've done that once or twice, not over cars but over other things, and you do question after listening to the moans and whinges of people for days, months, even years on end in some cases, whether it was worth it at all. Although sometimes the "long grass" throws up a few interesting changes.
In short, what they said. Don't do it.
Sure a quick grand on a car you sold for your mates worth it lol