Sale or return dealer options

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'd never dream of even speaking to a dealer who sold me a second hand car even after 6 months never mind 4 years. :eek: What do people expect? For it to never go wrong or cost them any money?
Jeez, I couldn't cope with that sort of sh1te from people. Would literally do my head in.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
The legal case can be anything it wants to be, quiet, loud or dismissed in an instance, but nothing is more important to a dealer than their reputation and if that's threatened by word of mouth slander, they will almost always cough up to protect that.
I've given a full refund on a car at least twice over the head of people threatening to "name and shame" or "take it to the internet", because the couple of grand or whatever wasn't worth the slabbering, and frankly not having to listen to those people again was worth the cost - despite the legalities being 100% leaning my way, having your name or reputation run down isn't worth it. You have to be very adamant as a dealer of any kind, or actually in any kind of trade these days, to dig your heels in on a situation and run the gauntlet of bad press. I've done that once or twice, not over cars but over other things, and you do question after listening to the moans and whinges of people for days, months, even years on end in some cases, whether it was worth it at all. Although sometimes the "long grass" throws up a few interesting changes.
In short, what they said. Don't do it.

Very true. I have refunded a few cars too, in some cases it was absolutely fair and I will admit that to them, but in others I very plainly told the customer - I do not agree with you, I think you are wrong, I think if it went to small claims it would be in my favour, however I do not wish to have to deal with this in my life and that is the reason I am doing this - just in case they chalked it up as me admitting fault. The biggest annoyance is when someone thinks they need to come on the phone like a mad man all guns blazing just to get anything off you, usually a much more reasonable approach would work better, however the better a reputation you make for yourself online the less they seem to feel the need to get on like that in the event of an issue.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
How does anyone even begin to prove a fault was in a car two years back, wasn’t noticed and is now only coming to light? I’d telling them to do one.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Very true. I have refunded a few cars too, in some cases it was absolutely fair and I will admit that to them, but in others I very plainly told the customer - I do not agree with you, I think you are wrong, I think if it went to small claims it would be in my favour, however I do not wish to have to deal with this in my life and that is the reason I am doing this - just in case they chalked it up as me admitting fault. The biggest annoyance is when someone thinks they need to come on the phone like a mad man all guns blazing just to get anything off you, usually a much more reasonable approach would work better, however the better a reputation you make for yourself online the less they seem to feel the need to get on like that in the event of an issue.
I've a signed admission here in the office for one of the cars I refunded, which states, "I agree that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the car and that I've received this refund in full purely because I'm a colossal whinge" or something to that effect 🤪

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Arses come back 7 months later over squeeky wiper blades ffs, retailing used vehicles is just ***** nowadays, Joe public wants trade prices on 8 year old cars that have to be like new from the showroom. If you are into dealing, trade to trade is the only way to go. Let some other ejit worry about the public.

Jason

RMS Regular
I regularly get guys coming back for light bulbs, oil top ups, air in tyres, screen wash etc 4-5 months into ownership.

guy had to get a £750 repair done FOC outside of warranty and complained I used £10 of diesel to drive it to Main dealer, test drive and back.

Public have no shame!

davyk31

RMS Regular
Why is it more bother if the car is SOR? Most of what is being talked about here could refer to any car sale and a trader certainly could have the same public issues with a car they have bought from trade in, auction or whatever their normal source is.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I regularly get guys coming back for light bulbs, oil top ups, air in tyres, screen wash etc 4-5 months into ownership.

guy had to get a £750 repair done FOC outside of warranty and complained I used £10 of diesel to drive it to Main dealer, test drive and back.

Public have no shame!

Slightly different as it was a truck but I had the same situation, gave the guy our demonstrator FOC as he’s an owner/driver. Afterwards he came back asking who he sent the bill to as he was advertising our company whilst using our demonstrator.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
SOR means less profit. Less profit means the dealer has less margin to fix any issues or waste time on a tosser customer.

Plus what you do with the car isn’t your own decision in terms of prep and pricing, and you can’t over allow on a trade in as your having to buy it in, and they will ring you once a week to see why it isn’t sold, won’t accept certain money etc. The last one I did was for a family member, cleaned, stored and advertised it for about 4 months until got it away, had to deal with his questions and many phone calls, and all the calls, viewings etc and he queried the £300 fee at the end of it all...

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I think DSC cars in Downpatrick do SOR
There can be a bit of ropey shinanigans on all sides to be fair, I've seen cars for sale that at the very last minute become cars being sold on behalf of friends/family etc. I've no issue with the ones that are upfront from the start about it and price accordingly though.

I do think some general public expectations are too high, and they expect a 100% perfect car, even when buying used that's a fair few years old & well priced.

But then you'll also get some dealers with fancy adverts describing things as immaculate or must be seen to be believed, putting things in the adverts to attract buyers but then shrugging their shoulders when those things aren't really as described or in some cases misleading. It's easy enough not to buy and walk away but the real test comes when you buy something in good faith, return with an issue and see how it's resolved - shows you who's worth returning to or recommending in future.

Totally agree with what was said above. Wife was after an X5 and saw one for sale looked well priced and in good order for sale on the Auto Trader by a trader in Magherafelt. Rang the dealer said yeah its in good condition come up.

Drove an hour and a half to see the car. Open the door. It needed a new steering wheel, reeked of cigarette smoke, seats were all scored and the trims were battered stupid all in all needed a full interior swap.