San Marino Blue M4 Competition Pack

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Currently experiencing what probably happens to a lot of people during a 2+ years of car ownership - a set of issues all coming together at the same time to put your love of a car to the test...

First one was cracking the underside of the front carbon splitter on lowered kerb that wasn't seated properly and sprung up when one wheel passed over it like a seesaw. £2200 for a replacement if sorted by Agnews, around £1400 for my local body shop to do.

Next is brake judder - tried a few methods to remove pad deposits, that kind of thing, but no luck. Off to Bavarian, who say they think it's a flat spot on a front alloy. So need to sort that, before being able to go black and get the brakes looked at again.

Another issue popped up at Bavarian, which is not been fully resolved - positively or negatively. Some associated people have been very helpful, so there is a chance it'll all be sorted in the end, but we shall see....

On a more positive note, been working with a BMW parts distributor, MLperformance, who has purchased 70 of my charge cooler covers from me, and they seem to be doing well. Hopefully get another order for 70 soon! 😄

IMG_20210215_125900_000.jpg

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Great to see that your charge coolers are in demand @Nigelo wish you all the best with them!

I can understand where you are coming from the 2 year mark as I went through the exact same thing.

My M4 got sold at the 2 years and 1 week mark with a few little niggles with one taking Bavarian three attempts to rectify.

Final straw was another issue with one of the wheels then was left to Bavarian to sort. They messed me about and then refused to rectify it so dampened my experience with the car.

Sold it the week after that.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Great to see that your charge coolers are in demand @Nigelo wish you all the best with them!

I can understand where you are coming from the 2 year mark as I went through the exact same thing.

My M4 got sold at the 2 years and 1 week mark with a few little niggles with one taking Bavarian three attempts to rectify.

Final straw was another issue with one of the wheels then was left to Bavarian to sort. They messed me about and then refused to rectify it so dampened my experience with the car.

Sold it the week after that.

I think the common denominator is Bavarian, wouldn’t let them even wash mine, greedy horrible, useless Agnew turds, I love them , Nigels other issue by them is despicable (sorry)

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Great to see them flying out, what’s next though? :joy:
Mine’s due it’s 1st mot next month, time flies!

Haha, working on these for anyone who thinks the new M3/M4 grill is 👍

artistic-wedding-invitations.jpeg

I'll not burn any bridges with Bavarian just yet 😄Hopefully it can all be resolved, between now and the summer I'll get it tied up one way or the other and tell my full story - Richard, one of the salesmen has been really helpful and gives me hope that we can work it out.

Still love the car though, not really sure for the money what I'd change to, so currently planning on keeping it past the 4 years.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
@Nigelo @MarkM what is the steering wheel you can get for these that has different things built in like rev counter ect around the top of the wheel.Is tht an upgrade wheel and do yous know what all is fitted to the wheel .it’s on an M3 I’m looking at .?
@Nigelo @MarkM what is the steering wheel you can get for these that has different things built in like rev counter ect around the top of the wheel.Is tht an upgrade wheel and do yous know what all is fitted to the wheel .it’s on an M3 I’m looking at .

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
@zafturbo its a m performance extra

Examples of display options include:
- water temp
- oil temp
- left/right and accel/decel g forces
- lap timer
- stop/start trip timer
- 1/4 mile timer
- redline shift lights (green and red LEDs)
- optimal shift time lights for economy (two time green LED pulse)
- economy fuel consumption (last ten minutes or since last reset)
- relative economy performance vs optimal performance as a percentage

MarkM

RMS Regular
@Nigelo @MarkM what is the steering wheel you can get for these that has different things built in like rev counter ect around the top of the wheel.Is tht an upgrade wheel and do yous know what all is fitted to the wheel .it’s on an M3 I’m looking at .?
@Nigelo @MarkM what is the steering wheel you can get for these that has different things built in like rev counter ect around the top of the wheel.Is tht an upgrade wheel and do yous know what all is fitted to the wheel .it’s on an M3 I’m looking at .
You looking at the one local to you?
As Enda said, it’s the M performance V3 wheel, they are about a grand new, bit Instagram though imo as they’re always flickering in your face and quite a few have had problems with them, have you driven with it, some people love it, there are buttons each side of the grips, make sure it cycles through the functions and has actual values shown, they can’t be repaired! The wheel itself has a nice feel though :grinning:
If it’s all working and you’re not fussed, remove it and the small loom that goes down into the passenger footwell for an easy £700 and fit a V1 or V2 for £500

Last edited:

zafturbo

RMS Regular
@zafturbo most importantly it just looks class
It’s awesome lol
You looking at the one local to you?
As Enda said, it’s the M performance V3 wheel, they are about a grand new, bit Instagram though imo as they’re always flickering in your face and quite a few have had problems with them, have you driven with it, some people love it, there are buttons each side of the grips, make sure it cycles through the functions and has actual values shown, they can’t be repaired! The wheel itself has a nice feel though :grinning:
If it’s all working and you’re not fussed, remove it and the small loom that goes down into the passenger footwell for an easy £700 and fit a V1 or V2 for £500
Thanks mark ,yeah that’s the one .need the rs3 back though before I can do anything .

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Looking for a bit of advice from RMS....

Long story short... tried to get a set of genuine 763m alloys 'on the cheap' by grabbing single wheels. 3 came in good condition but one has been repaired - a welded plate and still has a crack in the rim, despite it being described as good condition and the seller pics showing no damage. So, what of my 3 options would you recommend....

The wheel in question...
20211028_132200.jpg

1. Send the wonky alloy to Pete at Brookfab, and get him to do a full, HQ repair.Pros - cheaper / Cons - I don't know how the alloy is affected overal
2. Try to sell the alloys that are in good conditon, and wait until someone sells a setPros - full set / Cons - hassle of selling, 2nd hand set might need refurbed, more £££ needed
3. Buy a new single alloy. Pros - I could get away with only refurbing a single alloy / Cons - very pricy to the tune of £1k

Additional info - It's currently cost me £1350 for the 4 alloys I have, and I had budgeted £500 for a proper refinish, which wouldve been a nice saving over the £2200+ they go for, and I would have also had them in the finish I wanted rather than satin black.

Is there a 4th option I'm missing?

MarkM

RMS Regular
I wouldn’t have that near me Nigel, repaired ‘properly’ or not.
I’d be selling the set as is :worried:
Is it too late for return or a case against the seller?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
I wouldn’t have that near me Nigel, repaired ‘properly’ or not.
I’d be selling the set as is :worried:
Is it too late for return or a case against the seller?

Yeah, its something that would give me constant fears I think. The rear set was so cheap that even one alloy being in decent condition means its not worth returning. Too late now methinks anyway. Been holding out for a rear alloy to appear on ebay, but like hen's teeth....
I'd be using that as a garden hose reel

Haha, already got a couple lined up for that. Coffee table? :laughing:

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Wouldn't have that near the car, would always have the niggling in your head what if it fails when pushing on

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Could you not open an ebay case, return it to the seller and hunt for another?

Unfortunately the crap wheel came as a pair, and the other wheel (apart from needing properly painted) is in good condition. I paid less for these 2 than one single front alloy, so thinking I might just need to suck it up, cough up and replace.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I'd be speaking to a couple refurb experts first. It might not look pretty but might be structurally sound. Welded cracked alloys are normally grand?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Unfortunately the crap wheel came as a pair, and the other wheel (apart from needing properly painted) is in good condition. I paid less for these 2 than one single front alloy, so thinking I might just need to suck it up, cough up and replace.

Bargain aside, if they were described as good condition you still have grounds for a case. Did you ask the question if they had any repairs etc?

How long ago did you get them?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
If you got a decent one out of the deal, I would cut your losses on the repaired one and let the hunt continue until you get another decent one

Chris0

RMS Regular
Could you not sell them on for a bit of profit as a full set then use that dough to go on the hunt for a clean set yourself?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Could you not sell them on for a bit of profit as a full set then use that dough to go on the hunt for a clean set yourself?

Possibly, however I was kind of looking for one's requiring a bit of a light refurb anyways as the plan was to get them done in a nicer colour than they are usually available in (OEM are satin black or frozen gold, near impossible to get a orbit grey set from a CS model).