Santorini Black RR Sport HSE Dynamic

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
So .... let’s start a bit of a story!

I had one of these last year, a September 2016 Model with 12k Miles, same spec etc.

After about 3 hours of ownership, I got an Amber “Suspension Fault” warning, which quickly followed on to a Red “Suspension Fault, Max Speed 30mph”

I rang LR Assist as it was under warranty and they came the next day, lifted the jeep, and had it fixed the following day. They said they tried a software update and when that didn’t work they replaced the complete compressor setup.

After that, all was fine with it and I did roughly 9k miles in 6 months of ownership and then sold it.

I had this current one around 3 weeks when I received the same messages, first of all Amber “Suspension Fault” and then the Red “30mph Max Speed” warning.

D4B79499-9BA1-4473-914A-7058F6024893.jpeg

AC2288CF-35C4-46EA-8341-F415B5E90EE3.jpeg

I sat back and had a think. The only common occurrence was that just before receiving the faults on both jeeps, I had locked it into Access Mode to drive around a built-up Avenue.

This annoyed me a little and I wanted to try and fix it myself, before giving up the jeep and having a complete new compressor assembly fitted.

Same as with the white one last year, the warnings wouldn’t always come up on the dash immediately, and before the warnings did come up, the jeep lowered and raised fine! As soon as the warnings appeared, the suspension locked itself at “Normal Height” and would neither go up nor down. Sometimes the fault was shown immediately upon starting though, so it was a real head-scratcher!

First port of call was a fault scan, so I got that done and the fault was “ C1A13 - Pressure Does Not Decrease When Venting Gallery”

So I went about the Internet for days on end and found a few possible fixes, one being replacing the Air Suspension Solenoid Valve, as apparently these can stick over time, so a genuine replacement one was ordered.

EF20F2B2-D143-4D82-88CB-B1D780E73F4C.jpeg

Another possible cause was a blockage in the Air Dryer in the Compressor, which has a couple of small filters and some filter desiccant. So I ordered a repair kit for this (£21.95) which consisted of new O-Rings, filters and desiccant.

FB7FBB97-0E38-403C-8284-11F9105653F0.jpeg

The other night then I had the Compressor assembly removed, had the Air Suspension Solenoid Valve replaced with the new one, and had the Air Dryer stripped, replaced the old Desiccant with the fresh stuff, and replaced the old grubby filters with the new ones and reassembled everything. Then had the faults cleared and started the jeep .... to be greeted immediately with an Amber “Suspension Fault” warning ...

Back to the Internet we go, and after some more searching, I found a possible cause - The Compressor Silencer, a small unassuming Gold piece on the end of the Compressor.

F9817E2D-F971-49F5-A14B-D69BD0CFBE01.jpeg

8A3A3926-35BA-4BAD-95D2-98366D05E729.jpeg

It had a little corrosion and had some white powdery substance inside, and as I hadn’t one ordered yet, I just kept the old one off, jumped in, started the jeep and alas - no fault! Took it for a 30 minute drive with many starts and stops and ups and downs and not once did the fault greet me! The only difference was that the compressor seemed to work a little slower when lifting/raising the suspension!

So I took the old silencer to my shop, gave it a good cleaning out with compressed air, and then soaked it in Isopropanol Alcohol and a good cleaning with a toothbrush, got it dried out and refitted it, and it’s besn perfect since!!

After some more searching, I see there has been a “revised” Silencer produced, basically the exact same thing but with a hole drilled into the side of it lol, so I’ve ordered one and will fit it just to be on the safe side!

8F883CEC-6332-4448-83DA-1EF1432F527F.jpeg

Scary how basically anyone I talked to, told me that the whole compressor unit needed replacing, and there would be no other fix blah blah blah. I know now that the Solenoid Valve Replacement and the Air Dryer refurbishment wasn’t required but it’s good to know that both are now done also and I should have no more problems!

The cheapest I could find a new replacement genuine compressor unit was £550, which isn’t the end of the world, but still, I’m over the moon to have fixed it myself :laughing:

Bit of a long story but I hope this can possibly help someone else down the line too as this annoyed the life out of me - knowing the compressor itself was fine but being told that the only repair for the C1A13 error code / Suspension Fault warning was a complete compressor assembly replacement!

Attachments

• F082EBE8-42EA-4470-BE6A-AB177E9001CA.png
    F082EBE8-42EA-4470-BE6A-AB177E9001CA.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited: