Say hello to the newest member of my garage. YZF-R1

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Think having both a tourer and a sports bike is the ultimate way to go these days.

I agree.................

20150729_154616_zpslgdhbsxm.jpg

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
@mike150 it was actually a tiger I was looking at changing it for. Took one for a test drive at hursts and absolutely loved it, but it's just so different than the R1 I don't think I could have either or.

Think when the time comes to buy a tourer I'll go for something a bit cheaper like a DL650

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
@mike150 it was actually a tiger I was looking at changing it for. Took one for a test drive at hursts and absolutely loved it, but it's just so different than the R1 I don't think I could have either or.

Think when the time comes to buy a tourer I'll go for something a bit cheaper like a DL650

I have had the GSXR for 4 years now and I have been touring on it 4 times now. Over the years it has had the suspension all softened, Heli bars fitted, heated grips, lowered pegs and a double bubble screen fitted all gradually and all in the aid of comfort but this year I threw in the towel!

My mate has a Fireblade and a Tiger 1050 as well, he now does not use the Fireblade. I get a bit sore after 2 hours on the GSXR so after our trip in July I bought the tiger, 09 30,000 miles and immaculate, so next year I'll be happy doing 1000 miles in a weekend. The only thing I added to the Tiger was a gear indicator as the GSXR has one and it bugged me not having one.

Ideally I would have bought a BMW S1000r or Xr but to buy one is £10k + and big insurance, to have these 2 bikes is only £127 insurance and very little depreciation so buy my maths is was cheaper to have 2 bikes:cool:

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
So today with the help of Mr @Ceebl we got the new brake lines and pads in. Good few hours work but very pleased with the results. Both front and rear levers much less spongy, but as to be expected really as the bike was still running on the original 9 year old lines.

Reasoning behind this, other than that I thought it would look cool with red lines, is that the front brakes on this bike have never quite been as sharp as I would expect for a super bike. I have driven a good amount of other bikes and they have all had sharper brakes than this R1. So a set of new braided lines and good new brake pads seemed like the right move. Sadly I don't know if our efforts have worked as I'm not willing to take it out in storm "Frank" to check!

New lines before they went in

DSC_0008.jpg

New pads before they went in

DSC_0009.jpg

Old lines

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

New lines and pads fitted

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

Apologies for how dirty the bike looks, the flash brings up a lot of the dust and dirt on it way worse than it looks in real life, but it will get a damn good clean before it leaves the garage again :laughing:

banksy6118

RMS Regular
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Nice lines those buddy! I couldn't really tell a difference after fitting mine. in the end i went with a new master cylinder. the difference with that was night and day!! if you have a spare 150 lying about id well recommend getting one!

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
Nice lines those buddy! I couldn't really tell a difference after fitting mine. in the end i went with a new master cylinder. the difference with that was night and day!! if you have a spare 150 lying about id well recommend getting one!

The bike has a brembo master cylinder on it, I'd like to think this would be up to the job lol time will tell though I hope to get out on it soon to see if the brakes are any better!

banksy6118

RMS Regular
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
The bike has a brembo master cylinder on it, I'd like to think this would be up to the job lol time will tell though I hope to get out on it soon to see if the brakes are any better!
The oem brembos that come on bikes are a far cry from the actual brembo racing stuff mate! I was shocked at the difference the master made. although i don't have a brembo i got an accossato instead.

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
Had the bike out briefly this weekend. Brakes are like night and day, properly powerful again now. Must have been something up with my old front pads as it's like 1 finger stoppie sort of powerful now! Thrilled!

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
I love this shape of R1, still looks so fresh! Under seat tail pipes FTW. Must have been some sound with those two machines carving down the coast road!

Last edited:

Adam

RMS Regular
That looks lovely. Is it the cross plane model? Im going for one of those in the next year or so to replace my GSXR.

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
That looks lovely. Is it the cross plane model? Im going for one of those in the next year or so to replace my GSXR.

The bikes 2006 so its just the standard config 4 pot. Changed to cross plane in 2009, I can see me owning one of those in the future too!

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
The bikes 2006 so its just the standard config 4 pot. Changed to cross plane in 2009, I can see me owning one of those in the future too!
@warren have you ridden an 03 model? I was looking to get another sports bike and have read that the 06 is a noticeable improvement

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
I haven't I'm afraid! But I'm sure it's a totally different bike, they updated to my shape in 04

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
Had a rather lovely morning out on the bike today to Reagh Island. Another part of the country I'd never ventured near before but glad I did!

20160516_112555.jpg

20160516_111350.jpg

DJI_0066.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.