scooter losing power under acceleration!

daly2834

Drives
S15
Hi,
I have a question regarding a 2005 peugeot vivacity 50cc scooter!

Was running perfect until 2 weeks ago, usually when I start it I could take off immediately. However now when I try to accelerate away the power bogs and engine will cut out. But if I allow it warm up for a bit (60sec) it reacts better but not perfect, it will accelerate a bit more than before but will also die on power towards full acceleration.

Essentially the scooter is still running, just once warm it is hit and miss if I can open throttle fully or not with repect to it cutting out. Some days yes. Some days no!

I have removed spark plug and cleaned it, it looked fine!
Any ideas on what else I can check?.
Thanks for your help!

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Hi,
I have a question regarding a 2005 peugeot vivacity 50cc scooter!

Was running perfect until 2 weeks ago, usually when I start it I could take off immediately. However now when I try to accelerate away the power bogs and engine will cut out. But if I allow it warm up for a bit (60sec) it reacts better but not perfect, it will accelerate a bit more than before but will also die on power towards full acceleration.

Essentially the scooter is still running, just once warm it is hit and miss if I can open throttle fully or not with repect to it cutting out. Some days yes. Some days no!

I have removed spark plug and cleaned it, it looked fine!
Any ideas on what else I can check?.
Thanks for your help!
have you had the carb off? has been it been sitting for a while?

daly2834

OP
daly2834
Drives
S15
have you had the carb off? has been it been sitting for a while?

I bought it about a month ago man, was running perfect the first few weeks, but its just recently been doing this the past week or two.
I have been using it every day since owning it, but may have been lying up before i bought it, not sure!

Never had the carburetor off it yet either, what should i be looking for when i do?. Never really worked with these before, so excuse me if im been a spastic :p

warren

RMS Photographer
Id be replacing the spark plug first, for the sake of a few £. I have seen similar issues on a mini moto!

Stuart

RMS Regular
Drives
Saxo, 3 series
Clean carb? Dirty air filter, old fuel, 2 stroke pump pumping too much, bad spark, could be a range of things!

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
I reckon carb is dirty probably sucked a bit of dirt in which is now partially blocking jet and making it run lean giving you the symptoms you describe.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
What he said^^^. New plug first, even it looks okay. A cracked plug idles ok but doesnt cope when you try to accelerate.
Might as well do it. Cheap and easy.

daly2834

OP
daly2834
Drives
S15
Just an update here, still have the problem!! :worried:

So I removed the carb and noticed jets were slightly blocked, took them out and cleared them with airline, cleaned the bowl as there was a small amount of grit in it, fitted all back together and fired it up.

Scooter started normal, but still would not take acceleration without bogging.

I tried adjusting the idle valve screw and mixture, i turned them both in fully and then opened them 2 turns as i seen this was the normal setting. With the back wheel raised I tried to apply some throttle. It would sometimes take it, sometimes not. The next morning i tried to start scooter again and it wouldnt start at all!!

I took the carb out for a second time and noticed the jets had become slightly clogged again, so i removed the carb completely and soaked it in carb cleaner over night and cleaned it inside and out the next morning. Fitted it back again and fired up again also with a new spark plug this time.
Started again but same as last time, started and took throttle occasionaly and then again the next morning would not start at all :/

Im going to take the carb out again this evening to see if it clogged again, but anyone any ideas whats going on or what i should be looking at?.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
Dirty fuel possibly or dirt in fuel line. Have you an inline fuel filter? If not put one in it would surprise you the amount of crap they collect.

daly2834

OP
daly2834
Drives
S15
Yes it currently has an inline fuel filter! How often do they need replacing?.
I plan to open the carb again today after work and see if it is blocked again, if so I guess the next logical step is to clean out petrol tank and lines!!
And if it needs tuning afterwards am I right in saying the following;
- Start with adjusting the idle screw and fuel/air mix out two turns.
- Start scooter and adjust idle screw to the point where it is at highest RPM without rear wheel rotating.
- Adjust fuel/air mix screw until scooter accelerates without bogging??

daly2834

OP
daly2834
Drives
S15
Bingo! Now you're starting to the hang of this. We'll make a motoGP mechanic out of you yet.

Haha i hope am not coming across as a complete mechanical spastic :p
But just never worked on these before and wanted to make sure i not missing something simple!
Next step after i try this will be a lit match in the petrol tank, that got to do it :p
Cheers for the help :grinning:

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
I'd change filters before doing much more. If its not getting enough air or fuel its gonna cause them symptoms

areofall

RMS Regular
Buy one of these, you'll need smaller petrol pipe for the small bikes. The hose supplied is too big. I think it's a cold start sticking on? Some times jets have a coating on them, I soak or a few days in carb cleaner but on a modern bike I'd order some genuine jets as Chinese copies are rubbish sometimes. If you replaced fuel lines and clips I buy gen honda stuff it's really good but a clean out will help with a new filter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MS029-SEA...741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cd1c23235

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
I got a metal fuel bottle from poundland, drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom and screwed in a barb fitting to make my own one of those for a quid lol and its metal

daly2834

OP
daly2834
Drives
S15
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:
Still not fixed!
Ok just to be clear all i have done so far

- Removed Carb and cleaned jets
- New spark plug
- New air filter
- Cleaned out petrol tank
- New in-line petrol filter

Done this evening and when i started scooter (alot of kicks, suppose petrol had to fill all lines again) but when i started scooter it was idleing fine (maybe bit high as back wheel was turning) but it was constant. I left it like this for 5mins to heat up, i then said a decade of the rosary and tried to give some trottle but the bitch wouldnt take it at all, just bogs down until you release trottle!!

What i did notice was the exhaust gasket was leaking, obviously going to replace it but have to wait until tomorrow to get new one! But could this cause the bogging, iv searched a few threads and it has never been mentioned as the cause..just wondering if anyone thinks this is the problem or should i still be looking at something else :worried:

daly2834

OP
daly2834
Drives
S15
Thanks mate, seen that thread also so tried starting my scooter with the exhaust off and its still the same, idles ok but wont take trottle, will take some trottle if i very slowly twist the trottle but in total maybe only goes to 1/4 open trottle!!