Screw in tow hook used as a bicycle rack support??? any engineers - is this possible.

Martyn

RMS Regular
Ok... looking to pick some of your brains.

Behind the license plate on the GT4 in the middle of the bumper and centre of the car is the threaded insert for the screw in towing eye.

This has got me thinking - I cant buy roofbars for the car to put a bike on and of course a towbar is just a stupid idea.

So...... If the towhook is removable and is in the centre rear of the car could something be made up to attach a bicycle to it?

Does this make sense?

Thoughts?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Seems to be a thing if you google it, but the two examples I found show cars with two towing eyes.
p1030516s_b30a4ca5b8c7b290f062bbb9e80789afec00fdf7-jpg.2041

attachment.php

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Some cars have fitting for bike racks built in to the bumper which is what could be seen above. Are the tie hooks not normally reverse thread.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Ok... looking to pick some of your brains.

Behind the license plate on the GT4 in the middle of the bumper and centre of the car is the threaded insert for the screw in towing eye.

This has got me thinking - I cant buy roofbars for the car to put a bike on and of course a towbar is just a stupid idea.

So...... If the towhook is removable and is in the centre rear of the car could something be made up to attach a bicycle to it?

Does this make sense?

Thoughts?
Have hou looked at the suction cup ones for the roof? Seen a few people use them and seem a gd job

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I’m really not that keen on anything touching the paintwork
I doubt it tbh, but depending on the size of the bike and the rear window it would maybe fit on there? Feel like ive seen chris harris use similar on his touring gt3.
I’m really not that keen on anything touching the paintwork
Seasucker is the brand i was thinking of

RoniN

RMS Regular
Yes it could be done.
But I think the GT4 toweye is below the rear numberplate and to the right.

Have you a photo of the threaded insert ?

Cheers

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
you would need at least 2 mounting points else it will just rotate no?

Yeah this. I’ve seen these made before but they had a second mount that went under the rear of the car to steady it and stop it rotating.

You could always put a clear 3M vinyl patch on the bodywork where the sea sucker would mount. Not ideal but would at least protect the bodywork. I did this with my mini years ago and it did the job

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Yeah this. I’ve seen these made before but they had a second mount that went under the rear of the car to steady it and stop it rotating.

You could always put a clear 3M vinyl patch on the bodywork where the sea sucker would mount. Not ideal but would at least protect the bodywork. I did this with my mini years ago and it did the job
or there is an mg zs 180 for sale..... :p

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
Yes it could be done.

Cheers

Will stick a photo up later

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
Yes it could be done.

Cheers

Pic of the tow hook location on the previous GT4 version
AE833C40-47CA-4071-A26F-E69725C6D000.jpeg

A pic of the new GT4 rear

1CE91229-10E5-4197-8A57-6EFAD2227BE7.jpeg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

gingfto

RMS Regular
Drives
CLS500 (5.5)
Would heat from the exhausts not possibly be an issue for the bikes? Using the towing eye (great idea!) makes me think it would be quite a close mounted rack and the exhausts not being central anymore doesn’t help that.
Thinking because the heat from my own is crazy so can only assume what the gt4 is like 😂
Any time I’ve seen a bike on a Porsche the sports had sea suckers or the rear mounted (panamera etc) are more like an RV one where it’s almost a separate unit from the car.

Maybe over thinking but carbon and rubber won’t like a spirited run next to one of those exhausts 😬

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
Is this a one off for yourself or are you looking at putting it into production ?

Cheers

Depending on what the prototype turned out like - it may be a option.
Any use?

That wont fit with the rear diffuser.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
sea sucker are great.... you have the PPF so not much chance of any damage anyway ? when i uesed mine i just always made sure the suckers were clean - not even any dust in the cups etc..