Wanted: SDS Cordless and Combi drill set.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
And good kits about ? Tradesman quality with a budget of around £350.

My Makita brushless combi drill has decided to get stuck on hammer only , and as brilliant as it is , I've decided i want an SDS. But I'll need a new combi drill to match.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Any tools I have for wood work are Bosch pro as I've always like them and found them to be the most ergonomic, however we always ran Bosch pro on work until we stumbled upon a Milwaukee impact gun that was the same size and price but a good bit more torque. 4/5 years down the line the only Bosch tool we have in work is the 36v sds drill, it's big and heavy but the battery is good and it genuinely is better that the Bosch 110v drill we used to have. Everything else is Milwaukee, it's all 18v fuel and gets serious abuse but won't lie down. The bearings in the grinder are starting to rattle a bit but it's done a serious amount of work and will be replaced like for like plus we've about 10 x 5amh batteries so we're now just buying naked tools to save more as we've enough batteries and a 6 bay charger for them

MarkM

RMS Regular
There's a Milwaukee kit on ebay but u almost get too much in the kit for the money which makes me wonder about quality.
Milwaukee 18v drill set SDS Drill Combi Drill Work Torch 2×5ah Battery | eBay

Then there's this Dewalt kit but his feeback is ropey.
DeWalt Cordless Combi Hammer SDS+ Drill 18V XR 4.0Ah Li Ion Twin Pack Heavy Duty 7426924833396 | eBay

Having been a Makita fan for years, last year bought a couple of Milwaukee items, looking Makita again, just not the same quality to me, sds drill is nowhere near as capable

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Having been a Makita fan for years, last year bought a couple of Milwaukee items, looking Makita again, just not the same quality to me, sds drill is nowhere near as capable
I've been Makita for years. Last cordless set was good but the chuck broke (it did well mind u) so i bought a brushless combi drill body in Dec17 as i had the batteries and charger. It is (was) a brilliant drill. It has a high impact per minute and on hammer its the best I've owned. Went to use it yesterday and its permanently on hammer.
Have messaged the ebay seller to ask about warranty but doubt I'll hear back.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
If it's Milwaukee, you have to make sure it's the brushless version which is what you want if you decide to go down that road. It really does make a difference

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
If it's Milwaukee, you have to make sure it's the brushless version which is what you want if you decide to go down that road. It really does make a difference

In what way out of interest? I’m after a new hammer drill myself.

MarkM

RMS Regular
I've been Makita for years. Last cordless set was good but the chuck broke (it did well mind u) so i bought a brushless combi drill body in Dec17 as i had the batteries and charger. It is (was) a brilliant drill. It has a high impact per minute and on hammer its the best I've owned. Went to use it yesterday and its permanently on hammer.
Have messaged the ebay seller to ask about warranty but doubt I'll hear back.

Ace fixings in ballymena repair them, really not hard to pay, they’ll check the warranty status. I emailed Makita and they sent me there the 1st time

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think Lightning said whilst Milwaukee are very good...they are a nightmare to deal with if anything goes wrong or parts are needed ?

I've a few Metabo items from @lightning, and really cant fault them. Although I wouldnt be a heavy user.

Can your existing Makita not be fixed ? Even buy another unit that takes the same batteries so you have more kit ?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Ace fixings in ballymena repair them, really not hard to pay, they’ll check the warranty status. I emailed Makita and they sent me there the 1st time
Perfect. Will help me decide on wether to stick with Makita (though i could maybe do with new battries) or even get it fixed to sell.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
No experience of Milwaukee sds as we already had Bosch 36v drills. It would feel like taking a step backwards changing them for 18v ones.

Our fleet of Milwaukee currently stands at 2 300nm impact wrenches, grinder, reciprocating saw, right angle impact driver, multi tool, 1490nm impact wrench and a light, all of which are 18v and then a 12v rivit gun. I personally have a 300nm impact gun and a 12v cordless ratchet for working on cars
We no longer use any 110v power tools other than cheap challenge circular saws which get replaced maybe once every 2 months as we are very hard on them and the blades for cutting metal are easier got and cheaper than anything Milwaukee currently do

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I think Lightning said whilst Milwaukee are very good...they are a nightmare to deal with if anything goes wrong or parts are needed ?

I've a few Metabo items from @lightning, and really cant fault them. Although I wouldnt be a heavy user.

Can your existing Makita not be fixed ? Even buy another unit that takes the same batteries so you have more kit ?
Although my battries are still going strong , I've had them a while. I also want an SDS. Depending on sets , if i was to stick with Makita , i would really benifit from at least one new battery plus an SDS body and a combi drill body.
Most times its cheaper buying a new complete set. I had a faulty charger once , it was cheaper to buy a whole new kit than a charger on its own !

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Fella i work with cant buy anything without spending 2 fecking weeks reading reviews on them, the general consensus seemed to be the brushless was newer technology which made it stronger (torque), more compact and more durable.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I'll sell u my Makita set.:joy:
Joking aside , its a brilliant drill on hammer setting , but i need it for screws ,drilling wood and metal too so I'm buggered with it stuck on hammer.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'll sell u my Makita set.:joy:
Joking aside , its a brilliant drill on hammer setting , but i need it for screws ,drilling wood and metal too so I'm buggered with it stuck on hammer.

Lol. I only drill about 10 holes a year. I have a cordless Hitachi so would rather stick with Hitachi so I can use the same batteries.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Fella i work with cant buy anything without spending 2 fecking weeks reading reviews on them, the general consensus seemed to be the brushless was newer technology which made it stronger (torque), more compact and more durable.
Well this fella is sick of looking at them already. I just hate so many options/combinations/prices/opinions/ brands.
Would love to walk into a shop tomorrow morning and buy what I need at a reasonable price. I may hope someone is working with me till i get sorted as I'm drill-less at the min.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.