Wanted: SDS Cordless and Combi drill set.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Well this fella is sick of looking at them already. I just hate so many options/combinations/prices/opinions/ brands.
Would love to walk into a shop tomorrow morning and buy what I need at a reasonable price. I may hope someone is working with me till i get sorted as I'm drill-less at the min.

You could try Ray Grahams then. Good stock of various brands but their website is cheaper so get them to price match it in store

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Lol. I only drill about 10 holes a year. I have a cordless Hitachi so would rather stick with Hitachi so I can use the same batteries.
Apparently Hitachi are no more. They've been bought over and rebranded, can't remember their new name

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
You could try Ray Grahams then. Good stock of various brands but their website is cheaper so get them to price match it in store
Might have to. I see they do the Dewalt kit in my first post. Though they have a brushless version for £580 ish

Last edited:

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Apparently Hitachi are no more. They've been bought over and rebranded, can't remember their new name
True. I believe it’s now called Hikoki.

Our install team run a lot of cordless Milwaukee gear. Though we do have an issue with a few of the battery cases cracking (not dropped) can’t seem to get in touch with a Milwaukee rep here locally so we buy from CEF. With screwfix taking Milwaukee. Took
An age to replace one battery under warranty.

My cordless kit is AEG, sds. Grinder. Combi, impact. Torch etc. I bought it online before Homebase started to stock it.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
I’d need to check in the morning but I’d be fairly confident I can put put you into the latest makita brushless combi and an sds for under your budget. We’re also Makita’s biggest independent retailer in the north so have good sway when it comes to warranty if you want to bring your old machine up. Don’t get me wrong if it’s out or wrecked then there’s not much I can do but if it’s a grey area then they’re handy to deal with.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I’d need to check in the morning but I’d be fairly confident I can put put you into the latest makita brushless combi and an sds for under your budget. We’re also Makita’s biggest independent retailer in the north so have good sway when it comes to warranty if you want to bring your old machine up. Don’t get me wrong if it’s out or wrecked then there’s not much I can do but if it’s a grey area then they’re handy to deal with.
Nice one. I'll remind u in the morning. I'll need to work out how i can get it from u ASAP also ! Have u a number and name to ask for ?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Nice one. I'll remind u in the morning. I'll need to work out how i can get it from u ASAP also ! Have u a number and name to ask for ?
I’m sure I would be passing by his place and I could drop it off to you or you could collect from my house in the evening time if your down adam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Simon tells me my batteries are too old. Now I need (want) a new 2 piece kit too, thanks Adam :worried:.

For heavy masonry or concrete drilling, are the current cordless drills really as capabable as a corded one?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Simon tells me my batteries are too old. Now I need (want) a new 2 piece kit too, thanks Adam :worried:.

For heavy masonry or concrete drilling, are the current cordless drills really as capabable as a corded one?
Yes. My combi drill (which is now working again after a wee squirt of wd-40) is great in masonry. It's all to do with the "IPM" or "BPM" number, basically the higher the number the better. I'll look mine up and see what number is on mine so you at least know where to start.

Screenshot_20190128-222400_eBay.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

I guess it depends on how heavy ?

I wouldnt expect a cordless to be great for say core cutting etc.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Sorry i didn't see concrete. Breeze block, red brick etc is fine. Concrete would be sore enough on a Combi drill, cordless SDS would be fine though.

Gavlfc96

RMS Regular
Drives
Ek4/fr ibiza
Panasonic is good gear that's what I have bit dearer than makita but alot better quality

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I had a 24v Panasonic years ago and it was great. Very compact unit too. But eventually the trigger started to give problems, and batteries started to struggle.

That's a long time ago though, I'm sure there are plenty of much better stuff out there now. I just have an 18v Metabo SDS although it really only sees light use. Was never bought for heavy stuff ( ie not for inch holes through 18-24" concrete etc )

As always, comes down to buying tool for your specific job, which will vary for everyone.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Out of interest in what scenario would you use the SDS that the combi wouldn’t do?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Out of interest in what scenario would you use the SDS that the combi wouldn’t do?
I clip long runs of cable (combi would do it but would be hard on it) , and if i need to drill poured concrete (but only for plugs and screws)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ok cheers. I’ve been agonising over this today but reckon a good combi would do me.

So yours is sorted without the need for replacment?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Ok cheers. I’ve been agonising over this today but reckon a good combi would do me.

So yours is sorted without the need for replacment?
I really want an SDS after the last few jobs I've been on I've been using the other guys to great advantage. Once my combi acted up i thought it was time to take the plunge. After much debate (and alot of tooing and frooing with Lightning and C-rad) I've decided to get a full kit (dewalt)

Once i have it , the ebay seller says as a good will gesture he'll repair my Makita if i send it back. But I'm not so sure on that. Might just gumtree it but don't want to pass on a faulty drill. It's been fine since a the WD-40, was using away with it today no bother.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Can you use an sds to do screw driving and such light stuff too?

I was looking at Makita but there’s a combi brushless Dewalt that actually comes out on top in a few reviews online.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Can you use an sds to do screw driving and such light stuff too?

I was looking at Makita but there’s a combi brushless Dewalt that actually comes out on top in a few reviews online.
Yes you can get a key chuck that fits into SDS chuck , and the drill usually has a setting to turn off hammer action. Not sure about torque settings for screws but definitely drilling wood ect it possible.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I have the same dewalt kit you’ve shown @CharlySkunkWeed - used it over the last 2 or 3 years and has been faultless for all work it’s ever been needed for.

Concrete, brick, steel, tiles, and even chiselling concrete away in my back garden when we were Re-doing it 2 years ago.

Came from Panasonic’s and think the dewalt is twice the gear

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.