Wanted: SDS Cordless and Combi drill set.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mpowered

RMS Regular
Drives
RB320
I have the same dewalt kit you’ve shown @CharlySkunkWeed - used it over the last 2 or 3 years and has been faultless for all work it’s ever been needed for.

Concrete, brick, steel, tiles, and even chiselling concrete away in my back garden when we were Re-doing it 2 years ago.

Came from Panasonic’s and think the dewalt is twice the gear

You should try Hilti gear, you'll cream your panties!
Makes dewalt look like toys

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Can you use an sds to do screw driving and such light stuff too?

I was looking at Makita but there’s a combi brushless Dewalt that actually comes out on top in a few reviews online.

I swapped out my makita combi drill that I got in b and q for a dewalt dcd996n. Night and day difference. Always hated that makita drill, it was an entry level drill and just never felt good to use.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I swapped out my makita combi drill that I got in b and q for a dewalt dcd996n. Night and day difference. Always hated that makita drill, it was an entry level drill and just never felt good to use.
It's a 996 combi in the kit I'm getting, should be 2 good drills hopefully

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Can you use an sds to do screw driving and such light stuff too?

I was looking at Makita but there’s a combi brushless Dewalt that actually comes out on top in a few reviews online.

You can get either an SDS to normal chuck adapter or they do SDS holders for screwdriver bits and turn hammer off.

But as SDS drills are bigger and heavier...the practicality of using them as a screwdriver is a bit limited. But yes you could use it for that too.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
It's a 996 combi in the kit I'm getting, should be 2 good drills hopefully

I don't think you will be disappointed. (y)

You have me thinking about a cordless sds now lol
I was using my cheapy corded lidl sds for drilling into my gate pillars 300x10mm bit and we had a power cut on the street which meant my day was done !
Didn't fancy stressing the dewalt, though I'm sure it would have coped with it ok.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Probably looking at either the Makita DDF458Z or DeWalt DCD795 I think.

What else is in the kit with the DCD996?

Trying to work out if I need a driver too, there’s a lot of kits with them. I’d probably only use it for removing wheel nuts.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d

Trying to work out if I need a driver too, there’s a lot of kits with them. I’d probably only use it for removing wheel nuts.

Not sure what's in the other dewalt but the one I got has an extra handle plus built in led light with a few settings, belt hook as well. Looks to have a better looking chuck which is what I liked about it. Brushless also. Not sure if the one you were looking at had it?

I prefer having a seperate driver. Much lighter and designed for the job. I still have my makita driver as it still works well buy il eventually switch it to dewalt. Small impact driver won't loosen wheel bolts but will spin them off once loosened.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I don't think you will be disappointed. (y)

You have me thinking about a cordless sds now lol
I was using my cheapy corded lidl sds for drilling into my gate pillars 300x10mm bit and we had a power cut on the street which meant my day was done !
Didn't fancy stressing the dewalt, though I'm sure it would have coped with it ok.
Alot of my jobs involve ladders, scaffold or lack of power. A cordless SDS will be bliss rather than trailing extension leads around. I'd rather the boss supplied us with them but sadly not.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I'm only a diyer so it's a minor inconvenience for me but I can imagine it's a god send on site.

vtr_sean

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic 1.7derv
Slight s8de note Hitachi 110v sds is brilliant had one for 15years still going strong bought another last year not used it yet as original just won't give up

Ghost

RMS Regular

Link to makita?

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I have a Ryobi SDS and a large variety of Ryobi tools, impact drivers, drills, impact wrenches to lights an radio's
Can't fault it but don't think it would be up there with the big guys, but does well for home an garage use, not to dear either

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
And its a good job? (Until it broke :p) I still cant get my head round their numbering, I would've thought the higher the number the better, but some high numbered ones seem to have a poor spec and vice versa.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
I have a Ryobi SDS and a large variety of Ryobi tools, impact drivers, drills, impact wrenches to lights an radio's
Can't fault it but don't think it would be up there with the big guys, but does well for home an garage use, not to dear either

Good to hear, I'm going Ryobi cordless...some good discount and no quibble 3 year warranty swung it for me!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
And its a good job? (Until it broke :p) I still cant get my head round their numbering, I would've thought the higher the number the better, but some high numbered ones seem to have a poor spec and vice versa.

I honestly dont know about the numbers. I'm the same with the DeWalt stuff. Was looking at a mates today and the one I'm getting is a higher number than his. So rightly or wrongly i assume mine will be better ?

I can't decide on wether to Gumtree my Makita or send it back to ebay seller to fix first.

Ghost

RMS Regular
I honestly dont know about the numbers. I'm the same with the DeWalt stuff. Was looking at a mates today and the one I'm getting is a higher number than his. So rightly or wrongly i assume mine will be better ?

I can't decide on wether to Gumtree my Makita or send it back to ebay seller to fix first.
Send it back. What's the worst can happen. Insure it first during post.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

@Antoin what model of makita was it? If it was an entry level 1 then it might be a fair comparison pitching it against the 996?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.