Seat Conversion in Commercial Vehicle

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Does anyone know the steps involved to get a seat conversion in a commercial vehicle officially registered so it’s properly covered for insurance etc?

The car in question is a 2 seater Discovery 4.

Does the V5 need amended? Who physically can do the conversion or sign it off? Does it need inspected at PSV?

Anything else to consider?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
To best of my knowledge you notify DVA / DVLA of the change, they inspect to confirm and then the V5 is amended. As far as insurance goes, will probably require an engineers report.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I know there are companies in England who do those conversions so may be worth reaching out to them

With something like a Disco 4 I would have to ask what advantage there would be over buying a normal one?

When new people do it for VAT and tax breaks buying through companies but I can’t see an advantage used unless you want something VAT qualified?

Also I’m not sure on Disco 4 but on new Defender the windows need sorted as well I think in terms of software and maybe even hardware t get them working as well

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Also check type approval on V5, if N1 it is a commercial vehicle which could cause insurance issues if seats fitted.
M1 is the type approval for a passenger car.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Just to clarify, it’s for a friend who would be using it as his business vehicle, hence the commercial. But he wants to be able to collect his kids if required.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Just to clarify, it’s for a friend who would be using it as his business vehicle, hence the commercial. But he wants to be able to collect his kids if required.
So are they tax advantages to him then? Would be the only reason as said above as all seats fold flat in the D4 so the load space is the same.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Kanes 4x4 granard, longford were the go to place for passenger to commercial so they may ĥave the info.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
There are crowds doing "crewcab" conversions.

Here in dublin:

Calco

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia
Total van solutions in mallusk would probably be worth a shout

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
So are they tax advantages to him then? Would be the only reason as said above as all seats fold flat in the D4 so the load space is the same.

Yes, that is the reason for going for a commercial one over a passenger vehicle.

And it’s only for the odd emergency, won’t be used as the family car.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Yes, that is the reason for going for a commercial one over a passenger vehicle.

And it’s only for the odd emergency, won’t be used as the family car.
The savings would need to be substantial to justify the cost of doing it properly for the sake of the odd emergency. Disco4.com will have examples of it.