Seat/VAG Heater Blower not working

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Hi all,

2007 1P Leon - interior blower fan not working, took it out last week but seemed quite stiff so tried to free it up a bit by cleaning and adding some WD40, no joy.

Ordered a replacement however it's also not working, it isn't freely spinning however and seems to catch - I'm presuming this isn't correct either! There's 12v getting to the resistor - I haven't checked 12v directly to the fan motor yet as I don't have another power source however I do notice that the fan starts for a brief second or two when initially starting up before stopping completely.

Doesn't work on any fan speed from the climate control panel and this is still alive as well. Have checked a bucket load of fuses too and can't see anything blown.

Anyone have any suggestions or seen something like this before? I've contacted the seller about the replacement item btw.

Thanks

neil-c

RMS Regular
16160013642165116506966899563172.jpg

16160014043282445600978157934030.jpg

So another heater blower question.... How do I tell if my fan is broken or my resistor? Both are separate parts from VW and I don't want to get the wrong one. The fan doesn't work on any setting but I'm not sure if this resistor works in the same way earlier 4 speed dial change blowers work - for the older type resistor if it's broken the blower may only work on 1 setting for example. But my blower is operated electronically through the push buttons, making this resistor more complicated, and the blower doesnt work on any setting?

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Easy peasy. When your fan controls are on maximum speed, are you getting any voltage reading on the red wire going into the motor? If yes, your fan is bucked. If no, go back to the plug that goes into the resistor. Are you getting 12v going into the resistor plug? If yes your resistor is bucked. I can almost guarantee it’s your resistor pack, we fit a fair amount of them in work (VW). If the fan feels stiff or notchy when you turn it by hand, replace it too. It doesn’t take much to be wrong with a blower motor to fry a resistor pack.
Edit: with these digital climate systems you will get a variable voltage going into the resistor from the heater controls on the signal wire. For example at speed one you may only see a 3v reading, speed 2 6v and so on.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
@neil-c i’ve one from a breaker sitting here in Ards Peninsula from a mk6 golf that I bought from a breakers to replace the one on my Sharan. Freed up my existing fan with 3in1 application.
You’d be welcome to try mine if that suited?

Edit - I can check numbers against what’s here.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Easy peasy. When your fan controls are on maximum speed, are you getting any voltage reading on the red wire going into the motor? If yes, your fan is bucked. If no, go back to the plug that goes into the resistor. Are you getting 12v going into the resistor plug? If yes your resistor is bucked. I can almost guarantee it’s your resistor pack, we fit a fair amount of them in work (VW). If the fan feels stiff or notchy when you turn it by hand, replace it too. It doesn’t take much to be wrong with a blower motor to fry a resistor pack.
Edit: with these digital climate systems you will get a variable voltage going into the resistor from the heater controls on the signal wire. For example at speed one you may only see a 3v reading, speed 2 6v and so on.
Cheers @mikey - just getting around to checking this in my lunch break today. You're spot on - no voltage at the motor and I'm picking up the variable voltage going into the resistor.
@neil-c i’ve one from a breaker sitting here in Ards Peninsula from a mk6 golf that I bought from a breakers to replace the one on my Sharan. Freed up my existing fan with 3in1 application.
You’d be welcome to try mine if that suited?

Edit - I can check numbers against what’s here.
These are the part numbers for the resistor and the fan @rupertfinch If you have something that will work for me I'd happily buy it off you.

Attachments

• 16164217703048598268801609203722.jpg
    16164217703048598268801609203722.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 16164218126735778285236472102635.jpg
    16164218126735778285236472102635.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 78

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
@neil-c part numbers appear to match the eBay listing pics I bought mine off.
I’ll check in the shed but would be happy for you to try it and see first. I work in Bangor during the week and live in Greyabbey.

Mine is both parts.

neil-c

RMS Regular
@neil-c part numbers appear to match the eBay listing pics I bought mine off.
I’ll check in the shed but would be happy for you to try it and see first. I work in Bangor during the week and live in Greyabbey.

Mine is both parts.

If you get a chance to double check the parts in hour shed that would be great. What do you need for it? Happy to take both as the fan motor itself felt a bit stiff.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I’ll have a look this afternoon, but fairly sure that’s the puppy.
I paid £47.95 posted for it from the magic of eBay. So somewhere in and around that would keep me in the black.

neil-c

RMS Regular
@rupertfinch sounds good - happy enough with that. Would you be about this evening? I'll PM you my mobile number.

Edit - your inbox is full so cant PM you.

Gavlfc96

RMS Regular
Drives
Ek4/fr ibiza
I have a resistor here brand new thats no good to me bought for my girls altea but hers doesn't have the usual resistor as hers has climate control