Sensible Volvo

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
That's some piece of kit.

371mm 6 pots! Mental!

Wouldn't like to be you when it's time for new discs and pads.

Insignia brembo 355mm discs are ยฃ700 a pair ๐Ÿ‘บ

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
They are Volvo's own engine, 5 cylnder white block, only 5 cylinder Audi engine Volvo used was the TDi AEL engine found in early A6's

I thought the Audi 5-cyl was based on the Volvo engine, or something like that? Might just have been an old wives tale though!

That's some piece of kit.

371mm 6 pots! Mental!

Wouldn't like to be you when it's time for new discs and pads.

Insignia brembo 355mm discs are ยฃ700 a pair ๐Ÿ‘บ

I know, lol.

And yes, she's quite mental ๐Ÿ˜

Haven't asked Volvo yet about Polestar discs, but they've been surprisingly reasonable so far actually. Happilythere are options :innocent:

No rush though, plenty of life in what's there.

Get onto the uk polestar owners group on Facebook. Great bunch.

Thanks! Link?

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Unreal! I had looked at these in polestar blue before landing with the rs6, everything about them is awesome

Except the tax band ๐Ÿคฎ it was my deciding factor, have one of these or a 5.0 RS6 or 6.2 C63 ๐Ÿ˜‚ especially when the Germans 3 litres were coming in way more efficiently than this.

No doubt it handles brilliantly, ohlins all round with those trick brakes and decent rubber ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Unreal! I had looked at these in polestar blue before landing with the rs6, everything about them is awesome

Except the tax band ๐Ÿคฎ it was my deciding factor, have one of these or a 5.0 RS6 or 6.2 C63 ๐Ÿ˜‚ especially when the Germans 3 litres were coming in way more efficiently than this.

No doubt it handles brilliantly, ohlins all round with those trick brakes and decent rubber ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

That's a terrible choice to have, really rough :innocent: ๐Ÿ˜…

Yep, efficiency is the one Achilles heel, lol. Doesn't matter too much to me, the drama and driving and uniqueness were more important. Fuel economy so far has been similar to my S3 in normal driving, slightly less (cough ๐Ÿ˜‡) when in a hurry. Which isn't too bad considering but not as good as equivalent Germans for sure.

She more than makes up for it in smiles and entertainment though ๐Ÿ˜ Plus I have the Lotus if I need to save on fuel ๐Ÿ˜

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Turns out if one accidentally tips the gear lever lever left, and accidentally pulls the left paddle to engage first, and one then accidentally leaves a tight junction in a bit of a hurry, then she will happily step out the rear, lol. In one's Volvo. Estate ๐Ÿ˜…

This car is a hoot ๐Ÿ˜

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Can't even begin to express how much I enjoy driving this car! Coming up on 2000 miles and all good! Leave in D and she'll happily cruise along like the best GT. Tip the gear level into sport and all hell breaks lose, lol - it will keep the turbo on song, hold on to gears, and THAT NOISE ๐Ÿ˜…Engage the paddles in sport and it will only ever change when YOU want to. And it will change whenever you want to, no second guessing or delays. Gear changes are instantaneous without being savage. Makes you wonder what all the double clutch fuss is all about, lol. The ZF style box in this car is just brilliant.

Anyway, the main topic of this post is going to go all Quentin Wilson on everyone, lol - "driver assistance" systems. Of which this Volvo has an awful lot, as you would expect.

Adaptive cruise

This is a lifesaver in average speed zones and heavy traffic. Works best in flowing traffic. In "pulsing" traffic where speed varies a lot it's not so good - the car can't read ahead and see that traffic is slowing down, it only reacts once the car in front slams its brakes on. Better to do it yourself in those conditions.

I thought it had a tendency to follow the car in front a bit too closely, but discovered the distance can be altered with the steering wheel controls.

Distance warning

Turned off, lol. What's the point? If someone can't see themselves that they are too close then they shouldn't be driving...

BLIS (blind spot thingy)

Really the same thing, if one doesn't have a sense for the size of the car and what is happening around, well... It also has a tendency to be set off by oncoming traffic and road furniture on busy motorways. I confess I do keep it on though.

City Safety

This is a low-speed emergency braking system. It can't be turned off, but hasn't ever cut in so far. Maybe I'm just a driving God, lol, but it seems pretty unobtrusive.

Driver Alert

This is supposed to sound a warning if the driver starts "driving inconsistently". In theory it works off any difference between the angle of the steering wheel and the direction of lane markings. It's pretty random - off!

Lane departure warning/Lane keeping aid

What it says - tries to detect if the car wanders over lane markings, and tries to counter-steer if it thinks the car does. It's like having the worst back seat driver in the world not just in your ear but actually randomly yanking the wheel, lol :innocent: Especially annoying on narrow roads, in heavy traffic, on tight roundabouts, etc. Off!

Collision warning system

Another "city" system intended to pick up anything from cyclists to crossing traffic at lower speeds. It's completely random, lol. Just keep your eyes on the road and be aware of what is happening around the car ffs ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜‰ Off!

Park assist

I'm old school, lol - just learn where the corners of the car are and use your eyes. It's what they are for, lol.

Parking sensor - confess I do keep them on. Most of the time they just do their thing. Volume of beeps, etc., can all be adjusted. Gets confused by greenery but that's it.

Parking camera - comes on automatically when reverse is selected, no choice. I just ignore it and turn my head, personally I find that much easier. Fair enough if a car has poor visibility, but that's not the case in this car.

Park assist pilot - this supposedly parks the car for you. Haven't got around to trying it, only discovered it's there just now, lol. Not hard to park this car anyway!

ESC

This can be turned off, but only for a journey and you need to dig deep into the menus.

It seems pretty unobtrusive so I just leave it on.

Pretty sure it's virtually turned off in sport mode, or at least dialled back a lot.

Not really needed at all with 4wd...

Road sign information

This tries to read road signs and display them in the instrument cluster. Seriously? Just use your eyes ๐Ÿ™ƒ Off! Less clutter too.

Adjustable steering force

Only adjusts the weight, doesn't affect/improve feel. I just leave it in "normal".

NAV

I'm in the "real men know where they are going" camp and never use nav anyway. So can't really comment on if this one is any good or not.

Turns out it's still there and doing all sorts of things anyway, lol. For example, I was getting completely random "bongs" with no other indication or message or anything. Couldn't for the life of me work out what that was! Then randomly stumbled on a nav setting where it can alert about various random things as you go by. Got all that turned off now. Kept the camera warning on though, but it doesn't appear to be terribly useful either and just gets annoying on camera infested motorways so will probably turn that off too.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Confirmed ESC is fettled by Polestar as well, certainly doesn't feel like it's there in "Sport", lol :innocent: ๐Ÿ˜‰

Last edited:

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Just spotting this thread now, very nice! Lovely to see something a bit different to the normal BMW / VAG stuff! Enjoy!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Can't even begin to express how much I enjoy driving this car! Coming up on 2000 miles and all good! Leave in D and she'll happily cruise along like the best GT. Tip the gear level into sport and all hell breaks lose, lol - it will keep the turbo on song, hold on to gears, and THAT NOISE ๐Ÿ˜…Engage the paddles in sport and it will only ever change when YOU want to. And it will change whenever you want to, no second guessing or delays. Gear changes are instantaneous without being savage. Makes you wonder what all the double clutch fuss is all about, lol. The ZF style box in this car is just brilliant.

Anyway, the main topic of this post is going to go all Quentin Wilson on everyone, lol - "driver assistance" systems. Of which this Volvo has an awful lot, as you would expect.

Adaptive cruise

This is a lifesaver in average speed zones and heavy traffic. Works best in flowing traffic. In "pulsing" traffic where speed varies a lot it's not so good - the car can't read ahead and see that traffic is slowing down, it only reacts once the car in front slams its brakes on. Better to do it yourself in those conditions.

I thought it had a tendency to follow the car in front a bit too closely, but discovered the distance can be altered with the steering wheel controls.

Distance warning

Turned off, lol. What's the point? If someone can't see themselves that they are too close then they shouldn't be driving...

BLIS (blind spot thingy)

Really the same thing, if one doesn't have a sense for the size of the car and what is happening around, well... It also has a tendency to be set off by oncoming traffic and road furniture on busy motorways. I confess I do keep it on though.

City Safety

This is a low-speed emergency braking system. It can't be turned off, but hasn't ever cut in so far. Maybe I'm just a driving God, lol, but it seems pretty unobtrusive.

Driver Alert

This is supposed to sound a warning if the driver starts "driving inconsistently". In theory it works off any difference between the angle of the steering wheel and the direction of lane markings. It's pretty random - off!

Lane departure warning/Lane keeping aid

What it says - tries to detect if the car wanders over lane markings, and tries to counter-steer if it thinks the car does. It's like having the worst back seat driver in the world not just in your ear but actually randomly yanking the wheel, lol :innocent: Especially annoying on narrow roads, in heavy traffic, on tight roundabouts, etc. Off!

Collision warning system

Another "city" system intended to pick up anything from cyclists to crossing traffic at lower speeds. It's completely random, lol. Just keep your eyes on the road and be aware of what is happening around the car ffs ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜‰ Off!

Park assist

I'm old school, lol - just learn where the corners of the car are and use your eyes. It's what they are for, lol.

Parking sensor - confess I do keep them on. Most of the time they just do their thing. Volume of beeps, etc., can all be adjusted. Gets confused by greenery but that's it.

Parking camera - comes on automatically when reverse is selected, no choice. I just ignore it and turn my head, personally I find that much easier. Fair enough if a car has poor visibility, but that's not the case in this car.

Park assist pilot - this supposedly parks the car for you. Haven't got around to trying it, only discovered it's there just now, lol. Not hard to park this car anyway!

ESC

This can be turned off, but only for a journey and you need to dig deep into the menus.

It seems pretty unobtrusive so I just leave it on.

Pretty sure it's virtually turned off in sport mode, or at least dialled back a lot.

Not really needed at all with 4wd...

Road sign information

This tries to read road signs and display them in the instrument cluster. Seriously? Just use your eyes ๐Ÿ™ƒ Off! Less clutter too.

Adjustable steering force

Only adjusts the weight, doesn't affect/improve feel. I just leave it in "normal".

NAV

I'm in the "real men know where they are going" camp and never use nav anyway. So can't really comment on if this one is any good or not.

Turns out it's still there and doing all sorts of things anyway, lol. For example, I was getting completely random "bongs" with no other indication or message or anything. Couldn't for the life of me work out what that was! Then randomly stumbled on a nav setting where it can alert about various random things as you go by. Got all that turned off now. Kept the camera warning on though, but it doesn't appear to be terribly useful either and just gets annoying on camera infested motorways so will probably turn that off too.

Driver alert might only kick in after you've been driving for several hours in I've day, in our Merc trucks after a few hours of driving if you away left to right a bit too much an annoying buzzer type thing goes off, likely to waken you up if you're dozing off.

Good to know you're enjoying it ๐Ÿ˜ it's so stealthy and looks brilliant to boot

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Thank you!

There's so much random stuff randomly boinging away, lol, I just turned it all off ๐Ÿ˜…

It's just a modern car thing, it's like we are unable to drive any more without a load of mostly pintless random software ****. I just think it makes things worse as we rely on this **** instead of just using common sense (take a break!), or using our own eyes and just paying attention, lol :joy:

I'm so getting old :joy::joy::joy:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Had our first lovers' spat yesterday, but we've kissed and made up again, lol :innocent: ๐Ÿ˜…

One of the tyre pressure sensors had a fit in the cold. All tyre pressures exactly the same all round but she still insisted one was low. Tried recalibrating and everything but no joy, still insisted one was out.

Turns out these sensors work off both ambient temperature and tyre pressure in some truly random algorithm. If a sensor gets out of whack it won't reset until it "sees" a "correct" change.

So you first have to drop the pressures. Then drive around a bit (the ruddy things only operate at all over 30mph). Then top back up again. And then it will finally reset again.

All that even though there was never a problem in the first place ๐Ÿ˜…

Maybe should just cave in and get an OBD reader to clear stupid codes, lol. Have to change the battery soon and apparently there's a stupid battery monitoring sensor that can get a hissy fit, lol. And to replace the rear pads one is needed to release the electric parking brake.

All this modern rubbish being stupid and annoying ๐Ÿ˜…

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
This on the other hand will never get boring. Ever ๐Ÿ˜

A Volvo ๐Ÿ˜… According to the owner's manual this totally excellent and completely antisocial behaviour at 6am, lol, is perfectly normal and done entirely for environmental reasons as part of the cat preheat process. No joke, that's what it says!

So there you have it, it's cool to be green :cool:๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜…

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Enough with Quentin Wilson, this update is going to go all James May, lol. Much better ๐Ÿ˜Ž

There is no mention of the Polestar specific bits in the standard V60 manuals on the Volvo support pages, and Volvo claim no Polestar manual exists.

Except it does! Found a PDF version on the Polestar owners' group, a very friendly bunch of people driving bat crazy Volvo estates, lol.

Continuous vehicle development following the original C30 and S60 Polestar Concepts has led to
thousands of development miles spent on twisty canyon roads, the German Autobahn, and various
test tracks from Southern Europe to the frozen north of Sweden. The result is a vehicle developed
especially for drivers who share our passion: People who believe that driving really matters, and that
a true driverโ€™s car should offer year-round enjoyment, on all roads, and in any weather.

So please take the long route home to find your favorite road, come rain or shine, winter or summer.

That last sentence is exactly what you do! And here is why.

Gear box:

D: Standard drive mode
S: Tip the gear lever left and it will keep the revs up and the turbo spinning at all times; hold on to gears through corners; snappy gear changes; etc. The throttle map is much sharper, the exhausts valve open up for glorious song.
M: Use the paddles in 'S' and it will never change gears unless you ask to. It will hold gears right up to the red line and stay there.

The gearbox is a ZF-style six-speed (eight on the newer four-pot cars). It's the Japanese Aisin TF80-SC version designed to fit in the same space as a manual box (!). A mind bending thing with a load of interconnected planetary gear sets with two brakes and three clutches, lol. It can lock gears, instantly change gears, etc.

It has been reprogrammed by Polestar for crisper and faster gear changes, as well as for holding onto gears, compared to a "standard" V60R.

I love it. 'D' for mooching about, use 'M' and all hell breaks lose, lol. Gear changes are as instant as any mortal could ever need on normal roads, and I bet they will be just perfect on a track as well.

Overtaking in 'D' is swift and undramatic, but tip it into 'S' anyway just for the sound effect ๐Ÿ˜

ESC:

Recalibrated by Polestar compared to a V60R. In 'D' it essentially operates as in a "normal" Volvo, which already allows some slip. In "S" and "M" it is much loser. In fact, I have never seen the ESC light on at all yet.

It can be turned off, but sadly only from the menus. If you do then the transmission also changes to nearly entirely rear wheel drive. I haven't found the space to try this out yet but it sounds like fun, lol.

Engine and exhaust:

The engine is the T6 3.0 straight six. Turbo, rods, cams, injectors and air intake have all been upgraded. In 'S' or 'M' the air intake sound is very pronounced, in a very nice way.

Then obviously recalibrated ECU, throttle maps, gearbox maps, etc.

The exhaust is a Polestar special active exhaust with two valves. The way they operate is a bit complicated but basically in 'D' everything is nice and civilised, and in 'S' or 'M' all hell breaks lose! It's sounds AMAZING, lol ๐Ÿ˜

Transmission:

Transmission is a permanent 4wd Haldex system, fettled by Polestar to send more power rearwards in the sportier modes. With ESP off it is almost all power to the back wheels. The overall feel is similar to the modified and fettled Haldex on my S3, but also much livelier.

Brakes:

Front brakes are 371mm lightly grooved belled discs, with Brembo six-pot calipers. Rear discs are also lightly grooved. They do work rather well. Very impressive, lol, especially considering they are hauling 1800kg to a stop, lol. Not quite as much bite and feel as with the more race tuned brakes on the Audi and Lotus obviously, but that can be sorted :innocent:

Wheels:

Monster 20x8 wheels, wrapped in painted on Michelin PSS 35-profile rubber. Love the tyres, suit the car and real world roads perfectly!

Suspension:

This is the real party piece! The way this big old estate drives and rides is uncanny.

The aforementioned Ohlins dampers.
Uprated springs (up 80% on V60R!).
Uprated roll bars, and rear tie blades.

Ride height is similar to a V60R, only a few mm lower.

The Ohlins are manually adjustable. Have them set about half way at the moment - 10 down rear and 12 down front - and that seems to be a great compromise between comfort and performance.

The stiffer springs can be a bit crashy over broken city roads, but no worse than the S3 on Bilsteins. (And certainly no worse than some Skoda taxis...)

The return comes on sweeping bends and down country lanes where it is all just sublime.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Did 2000 miles through England and still in love :heart_eyes: A lovely place to be on long motorway runs, and then quite deranged when required, lol. No boring over-engineered German technofest, true spiritual descendant of the T5-R - just a bunch of engineers with the right attitude having had some craic in the basement doing exactly the right things to put a huge smile on your face ๐Ÿ˜

She was basically brown with matte gunmetal wheels after that but came back up great after a wash, G-Techniq coating doing its job. That black metallic really pops and sparkles in the sun!

P1080151.JPG

Finally got some decent pictures of the inside so time to go Llewelyn Bowen this time.

The base is a V60 R-spec, which is no bad place to start at all. Fully loaded - heated everything, even rear seats, lol (heated wheel :heart_eyes:); dual climate; Harman Kardon (fantastic! ๐Ÿ˜); memory seats (by key or memory button); the fancy keys; all the digi tech malarkey new cars have and I never use, lol; auto wipers/lights/etc. which I don't use either, lol; cameras and sensors and lasers and radar absolutely everywhere; digital instrument cluster, configurable in three different styles (I like the "sports" theme); adaptive cruise (excellent for the most part, a bit disconcerting on occasion, lol); bendy adaptive lights (fantastic!); etc. Materials maybe not quite up to a 1999 S3, lol, but then neither is a new Audi! I'd say much closer to an Audi than a BMW, all touch surfaces either soft touch or Alcantara.

And then some subtle Polestar styling tweaks. Polestar seats, which are fantastic; blue stitching; Polestar gear lever; "carbon" centre console; discreet Polestar logo in the seat backs; leather/alcantara wheel; Polestar specific mats.

Ergonomics are great for an old technophobe like me, lol. The last model with actual buttons, love it! The following year they got a mahoosive touchy-feely screen down the centre console instead, that would properly do my head in. Only slight disappointment is lack of an ESC off button, have to dive into menus for that. But in sport/manual the ESC is so light it doesn't really matter, at least not on public roads.

Ambient lighting at night is excellent, and the glow down the centre console is a really nice touch.

Boot is superb as you would expect from a Volvo. The seat base is fixed, to extend the load area you just drop the seat backs, swift and really handy. Except there is then nothing to stop loads sliding into the front seats. And if you load it up with, say, twelve 50l bags of compost and manure (as one does in one's Volvo :innocent: ), then the seat belt warning is forever on ๐Ÿ˜… If any other V60 owner has a way around that then let me know!

P1080158.JPG

P1080164.JPG

P1080167.JPG

P1080186.JPG

P1080197.JPG

P1080200.JPG

P1080205.JPG

P1080210.JPG

P1080212.JPG

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Can't believe I haven't noticed this before now. Love it, lovely looking car and amazing spec, health to drive

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Not much of an update, lol, poor thing has been parked up in house arrest.

But there was a virtual Volvo car show today for a bit of lockdown craic. The Portaloos were excellent and the bacon butties weren't too over priced ๐Ÿ˜…