Sensible Volvo

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Wee Vera enjoying the scenery today 😎 🀩 And with no tourists and all the locals flocking to Carnlough we had Torr Head all to ourselves :innocent: Amazing!

P1090431.JPG

P1090440.JPG

P1090470.JPG

P1090498.JPG

P1090504.JPG

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
What’s this beast like running day to day? Been looking at a 3.0 one myself in blue. I need back into a Volvo soon. It’s a stunning car.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Love it :cool: Leave her in auto for general mooching about and it's like floating in the living room; tip it into manual and all hell breaks loose 😁

She's not easy on fuel, lol, but worth every penny.

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Love it :cool: Leave her in auto for general mooching about and it's like floating in the living room; tip it into manual and all hell breaks loose 😁

She's not easy on fuel, lol, but worth every penny.

mom coming from a 2018 cupra so fuel hopefully won’t be an issue. I just love the look and the exclusivity of them. I miss my v70 bad so this is going to be hopefully the best of both worlds.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Nothing much to report. Wee Vera the sensible Volvo has done the big summer miles without missing a beat, just the odd wash and away we go. Easily the most relaxing car I've ever been in down long busy congested English motorways, yet so many smiles once a wee bit of bendy B-road rally stage appears 😎

Compulsory cleaning pictures:

P1100244.JPG

P1100275.JPG

P1100703.JPG

P1100705.JPG

Oh, and one other thing... Been debating whether to fess up to this, lol, but here goes :innocent:

Much craziness happened in lockdown, but bar the "pubavan" of @Maranellohouse I think new arrival Emma may just take the prize πŸ™ƒ She's taken all summer to get here but finally turned up last night. A bit of TLC, a few bits and bobs, and a bit of polish and she's a good'un 😎

So that's two hearses in the family, I'll go in style!

Oh, @Big Pimp I'll need a vat of that magic plastic trim restorer πŸ˜…πŸ˜πŸ™ˆ

P1110011.JPG

P1110015.JPG

scub

Banned
Nothing much to report. Wee Vera the sensible Volvo has done the big summer miles without missing a beat, just the odd wash and away we go. Easily the most relaxing car I've ever been in down long busy congested English motorways, yet so many smiles once a wee bit of bendy B-road rally stage appears 😎

View attachment 297624

View attachment 297625

View attachment 297626

View attachment 297627

Oh, and one other thing... Been debating whether to fess up to this, lol, but here goes :innocent:

Much craziness happened in lockdown, but bar the "pubavan" of @Maranellohouse I think new arrival Emma may just take the prize πŸ™ƒ She's taken all summer to get here but finally turned up last night. A bit of TLC, a few bits and bobs, and a bit of polish and she's a good'un 😎

View attachment 297629

View attachment 297630
t5 or r?

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

View attachment 297624

View attachment 297625

View attachment 297626

View attachment 297627

View attachment 297629

View attachment 297630

You absolute legend! That's a duo of pita to keep clean though lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep. Really shouldn't confess to this, lol, but bought blind at the height of lockdown depression, at auction, in Japan, at night, while I was asleep :joy: Then been on a boat half way round the world, one with room for 8000 cars on it no less 😳🧐, and just "small" enough to get through Suez with a couple of metres to spare. An absolute brute of a beast. Then finally stuck in York for a while for registration and MoT and all that, and waiting for transport. It's been a ride but it's an experience too, lol. Certainly the most exciting way to buy a car πŸ˜…

Barring a few unobtainable ones tucked away in secret sheds, UK and Euro ones are all either rotten to the core or raced to death or been to the moon and back, usually all of the above.

This one is the proper T-5R from 1995, and the unobtainable but all important manual one to boot. Not a speck of rust anywhere, clean as a whistle, that was the important thing. The only box I couldn't tick sadly was yellow, but on the other hand I now have a matching pair 😁

She certainly needs a bit of work but you'd expect that at 25 years old. She'll be nice once we are done, perfect wee project 😎

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Seriously cool car :cool: I had a run in the very first T5R to come in here in January 96, red estate, impressive car!!
I remember a yellow saloon for sale near me for around Β£2k (I think a bit less) about 15years ago, it tempted me at the time but insurance and fuel bill scared me..............should have just bought it! That seemed to be the sort of money they were getting then.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Brilliant. Love 850 t5r and r's. Is it an auto being from Japan?

It's a genuine manual from factory.

A manual is pretty much impossible to find in the UK and Japan, nearly all were bought as autos. Same in America. Some have diy conversions, stay well clear of those.

Manual ones are more common on the continent but they all have mega miles through twenty five years of salt encrusted winters. And mega price tags too...

They had never seen a manual one for sale in Japan and there was nothing in their databases going back over a year. All autos. Then this manual popped up the very next day. Just meant to be :cool:

A yellow would have been the icing on the cake but can't be too picky.

No rust at all, like brand new underneath and throughout. Wings original with Volvo factory stamps, like new.

No dodgy weldings, no gallons of fillers, no rust fused bolts or crusty brackets.

Plenty of things to sort out mind, lol, but that's "just" replacing bits πŸ˜…

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
It's a genuine manual from factory.

A manual is pretty much impossible to find in the UK and Japan, nearly all were bought as autos. Same in America. Some have diy conversions, stay well clear of those.

Manual ones are more common on the continent but they all have mega miles through twenty five years of salt encrusted winters. And mega price tags too...

They had never seen a manual one for sale in Japan and there was nothing in their databases going back over a year. All autos. Then this manual popped up the very next day. Just meant to be :cool:

A yellow would have been the icing on the cake but can't be too picky.

No rust at all, like brand new underneath and throughout. Wings original with Volvo factory stamps, like new.

No dodgy weldings, no gallons of fillers, no rust fused bolts or crusty brackets.

Plenty of things to sort out mind, lol, but that's "just" replacing bits πŸ˜…
Wow that is a real find!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
A red would be an 850R (96-98). The red 850R seems to have come almost exclusively with the light birch veneer and cream interior. The 850R is easier to find, but a genuine RHD manual is still a needle in a haystack. Prices all over the place right now as well. If you find one then the 850R is a great car.

The T-5R was a limited edition to celebrate the BTCC campaign, a couple thousand world wide, in 1995 only. It came in yellow, green, or black, all with dark walnut and black interior.

There was also apparently one white and one purple T-5R, one a development car and the other a special order for a director or something like that. They're allegedly accounted for.

That's the anorak sermon for today, lol 8-|😁

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
A red would be an 850R (96-98). The red 850R seems to have come almost exclusively with the light birch veneer and cream interior. The 850R is easier to find, but a genuine RHD manual is still a needle in a haystack. Prices all over the place right now as well. If you find one then the 850R is a great car.

The T-5R was a limited edition to celebrate the BTCC campaign, a couple thousand world wide, in 1995 only. It came in yellow, green, or black, all with dark walnut and black interior.

There was also apparently one white and one purple T-5R, one a development car and the other a special order for a director or something like that. They're allegedly accounted for.

Keep being an anorak I love hearing stuff like this.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb

Didnt know that and the colours, they have different power outputs?