Shock Horror!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Adam

RMS Regular
Today was the first time I have ever drove a diesel car and been impressed!
Ive got a new Mondeo TDCI for a couple of days from work as I was working in Bristol. I have always hated diesels due to the tiny rev range and the way the power just comes and goes in quick bursts.

Although the engine in this new Mondeo is still obviously a diesel in the way it delivers the power it actually revs out a little better than most others Ive been in and the power kick is actually quite nice when it comes in.
It was perfect for the long motorway journey and If I did nothing but long drives all the time It would be the ideal car.
When I got off the motorway I decided to go for a blast around the back roads near where I live to see how it would perform.
The 155BHP engine and 6 speed box did the trick and although its a big heavy car it actually handles quite well and I was surging along in big waves of torque!

If I ever had to buy a second car for daily driving around if my main car was too unpractical then I think this would be the one!

I know this post may seem a little weird but today really has been a turning point for me. Although I still hate pretty much every diesel car this one has just proven to me that they are getting alot better!

Adam

RMS Regular
OP
Adam
Trust me its nowhere near as much fun to drive as the 325 Sport and I would NEVER own a diesel as a main car as the way they rev is still crap compared to how a petrol engine revs but as a second car or something for just munching miles its pretty good.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
I take it it was a ST tdci? quite the engine in it, mine does the job rightly with the 130bhp 2.0, but im told the 2.2 is quite the beast! 400nm torque thanks to the overboost!

and i bet you enjoyed ur backroad stint, auld mondeo is one of the better cars to fling round a backroad compared to its vectra/406/a4 equivilents, really good handling, shame about the brakes!!

Adam

RMS Regular
OP
Adam
Indeed the brakes are rubbish! I was wondering if I would get stopped a couple of times.

big cyril

RMS Regular
r16vka said:
I take it it was a ST tdci? quite the engine in it, mine does the job rightly with the 130bhp 2.0, but im told the 2.2 is quite the beast! 400nm torque thanks to the overboost!

and i bet you enjoyed ur backroad stint, auld mondeo is one of the better cars to fling round a backroad compared to its vectra/406/a4 equivilents, really good handling, shame about the brakes!!

What is overboost?

PhilG

RMS Regular
Had a go in the 2.0td before too. I absolutely loved it, was flying along full throttle (so to speak) in 5th, then the girl in the passenger seat said it was a 6 speed. :grinning: Big Smile on my face.

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Ford brakes are always crap. Tiny discs on the front and a passion for drums on the back. My wee Astra has 288mm ventilated discs on the front and 256mm solids on the back. She stops quite smartly from 120.

cyril: Overboost is what it sounds like. The turbo boosts higher in 5th and 6th for ease of motorway overtaking (and other rapid speed changes).

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Sounds Good! I had a drive in the old TDCi and i found it to be one of the nicer diesels to drive!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.