Should road racing on closed public roads continue?

Should racing on closed public roads continue

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
So on the back of the tragic news this weekend I’m asking the question to gauge opinion on this, there was some discussion in a couple of other threads but I feel the issue deserves a thread of its own.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Like most things in life, it's a choice! No one is forcing any of the competitors to participate.

The only issue is that when it goes wrong there's not alot of chance for a come back.

I did watch the TT this year and did sit there thinking this is absolutely nuts that it's allowed to happen but I'm glad that it is as I'm sure the fans and riders are also.

It's in their blood.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
The guys know every time they throw their leg over the bike that it could be the last time. I've done a bit of rallying and racing on a circuit does not compare to a closed road! It's like a drug....

On a bike? I couldn't even begin to compare that buzz they must be getting.

They are grown men and should be allowed to make their own decisions. Don't like it, don't do it! Simple

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Is it a selfish sport? Absolutely. Is that a reason to stop it? Not at all.

I can't understand how someone has the courage or selfishness to compete in something so dangerous but that doesn't mean those that do shouldn't.

It would be a different matter if it were spectators constantly being killed.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Without knowing the details of William’s fatal crash; is it possible to make the roads safer to race on? All motorsport is dangerous but road racing seems to be even more so.

If anyone does know the details of William’s crash - would he have survived the same if it had happened on a track?

richie_mck

RMS Regular
No. They know the risks they are taking and the consequences that can happen.

More people die from drinking, smoking, taking drugs, eating too much, etc

I don’t understand how a dad and partner could put themselves in that danger but I’m not them. It was their passion, and a passion they decided they were happy to chance loosing it all over.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Is there any sport with such a high level of fatalities ? And with so few real options to actually make it any safer ?

Other than some sort of expanding bubble around the rider should they leave the bike....which would be rather impractical.

The riders are crazy, of course they love their sport. But **** me what must their mother etc be feeling having lost so many family members. Yes you love your sport....but more than your family ? Your children ?

At some point your priorities should change, and that's without authorities getting involved to shut things down which is never good either.

But the same crashes simply cannot happen on a track, because the scenery is different. Trees etc are very unforgiving to cars let alone those on motorbikes.

It would be a shame to see it stopped or banned, but by **** it is dangerous.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
is it possible to make the roads safer to race on? All motorsport is dangerous but road racing seems to be even more so.
Yes and no. There's only so much "furniture" that can be removed/moved or have a barrier placed over. It's not a racing change, it's changed needed in general through everyday motoring - down to fairly basic things like verge and grass cutting and placement of posts. **Example:

If anyone does know the details of William’s crash - would he have survived the same if it had happened on a track?
Every crash is different.... A rider can get up with barely scuffed leathers but the bikes in 6 pieces and vice versa, yet it can also be rider error. It's fairly well known that Robert Dunlops crash was caused by his own error when his engine seized and he pushed his thumb brake on (front) instead of pulling the clutch..

OTOH - I broke my hand last year in a crash, basically because the gloves I had on were too stiff

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I think it should continue.
BUT, if I owned that new track at Coalisland, I'd build it with crown camber and put polystyrene hedges and gateposts all the way around.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I’m not a motorcycle fan in general but I understand those who like it. I like rallying and there are people who aren’t fans of it either. In rallying they use a poster with the basic message of Motorsport is dangerous.

If the message of this poll is to stop racing on closed roads then surely shouldn’t it also apply to circuit racing too? After all it’s just as dangerous there!

Even the safest of circuits still have fatalities at some point sadly.

No, closed road racing shouldn’t stop, nor should any motorsport whatever it’s guise. The participants know the dangers all to well when they take part, no more so than the Dunlop’s who have tragically lost so many to it, but crucially it’s their choice to take part.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Personally think its a bit early for a pole such as this. F1 went through the same debate in the 60s until a few brave drivers stuck their head above the parapet and enforced safety and designs to make their sport better for the drivers. Only way to make it happen on bikes is to take it to tracks and that will not happen anytime soon.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If the message of this poll is to stop racing on closed roads then surely shouldn’t it also apply to circuit racing too? After all it’s just as dangerous there!

Not even remotely close...and the stats tell that. The risks on a circuit are far far less than any road race, much of which is no doubt the appeal to the road racers.

Circuits are wide open, bland, less of a thrill, less of a challenge compared to any road race. And there's very little to hit at a circuit compared to the roads.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
More appropriate for this thread.

How many more road racers must die for their sport though, because even though they know the risks, die doing what they love, it doesn’t offer much consolation to a family. In my opinion the only people who could influence stopping road racing is the families. The riders themselves are addicted and by definition can’t always stop feeding the addiction even if they wanted to.

I’m not into road racing although I do enjoy watching it if it is on so my opinion isnt as valid as most but if I was passionate about it, I would possibly have to ask myself if there was a ban, would I miss it for my own reason. Flame suit on..

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I think the carnage has gone on long enough tbh. The old arguments about its a choice and they die doing something they love don't really stand up any more.

This argument suggests that anything is ok if someone is not forced to do it.

There has to be a limit to the amount of deaths and serious injuries suffered by competitors that can be tolerated by a sensible, civilised society. It's not possible to simply carry on with a disproportionate number of deaths 'because they love it' or because people love watching bikes (or making money off them)

RoniN

RMS Regular
I think the carnage has gone on long enough tbh. The old arguments about its a choice and they die doing something they love don't really stand up any more.

This argument suggests that anything is ok if someone is not forced to do it.

There has to be a limit to the amount of deaths and serious injuries suffered by competitors that can be tolerated by a sensible, civilised society. It's not possible to simply carry on with a disproportionate number of deaths 'because they love it' or because people love watching bikes (or making money off them)

Mark I'm not getting at you in anyway but reading your post made me think, off topic but I'll continue anyway.

Civilised society allow millions to die because of poverty and starvation but because no-one can make money off them it's accepted, tolerated and ignored !!
Doesn't say alot for civilised society !!

Back on topic, yes I believe road racing should continue the same debate surrounds boxing too.

Cheers

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Where's the outrage to deaths on open roads every single day? Not a single word about the rider killed on the Coast Rd a few weeks back.. Why is that?

The scene of that very crash is still very much in my mind

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Where's the outrage to deaths on open roads every single day? Not a single word about the rider killed on the Coast Rd a few weeks back.. Why is that?

The scene of that very crash is still very much in my mind

A rather different context. So you're suggesting they should consider banning all bikes as they're too dangerous ? I guess you could clump them all in together like that.

Bikes are just dangerous....or at least having an accident involving a bike is always dangerous, even worse if you're on it.

And there is outrage, except instead of doing anything about it, they just stick bloody speed cameras everywhere ! Surprised they dont suggest it for bike racing too.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
A rather different context. So you're suggesting they should consider banning all bikes as they're too dangerous ? I guess you could clump them all in together like that.

Bikes are just dangerous....or at least having an accident involving a bike is always dangerous, even worse if you're on it.

And there is outrage, except instead of doing anything about it, they just stick bloody speed cameras everywhere ! Surprised they dont suggest it for bike racing too.
No I'm not, please refrain from putting words in my mouth. Motorcycle racing does have speed cameras!

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Even though races like the TT and the NW200 are legendary events, If the chance arose, I would vote on banning racing on public roads.

It’s simply too dangerous, normal public roads with their twists and turns and buildings close to the road are not designed to carry speed like that.

On a purpose built track it is much wider with big run off areas, tyre walls and gravel pits to slow them down in the event of an accident. I really do think there would be less fatalities on a race track.

How many more young men have to be killed before people realise this?

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.