Silver Grey 2006 E46 M3

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Posted a few threads on here in recent times changing begeeen cars but 1st love was my old E46 M3 which I had to sell due to personal circumstances in 2013.
Then tried an E92 M3 which was good but didn’t 100% gel with it - 15mpg around my short trips didn’t help either lol
But needing 5 seats (the odd time) was the main reason for getting rid of it as didn’t want to run a 2nd car.

I never thought I’d find another E46 M3 in as good condition as my last one and was giving up hope of over getting one as loads looked so rough and prices for half decent ones crazy...

Then a massive bit of good fortune give me the chance of buying this one before it was even advertised...
there’s a sad story behind it ..but basically it’s a 1 owner car, cherished and garaged never seeing rain etc, but now being sold by a widow /family member and lucky for me she wanted me to have it - I paid what I could afford but nowhere near what it’s worth.
Anyway, the basic details are ...

2006 M3
1 owner
52k miles
Black Nappa leather,
Has every available option;
sunroof, H.K.,folding mirrors,
Rear blind, heated fully adjustable seats,
Nav, TV etc

Full size 19” OEM spare wheel boxed
4 new matching ContactSport6 tyres with a matching brand new spare.

The magic details for me are; (I’m sorry If I’m hyperboling!)

The car has literally never seen rain, she only ever moved it out once a week for a drive and only if totally dry, I have had the underneath inspected and it’s totally original and clean as a whistle.
The arches have zero dirt never mind zero rust,
The plastics, jams etc are perfect.
The sunroof has never been used- still had the original grease all along the inside rails.
The interior is mint- only her late husband and her have ever been in the car,
the steering wheel looks brand new as does the rest of interior.
Engine is clean and whisper quiet on idle , all the controls feel so sturdy and like new,

Few pics for now...

4BB093AC-7764-4BE7-B3AE-DBECF7C3A47D.jpeg
863002E6-6C35-4489-A9B7-2104D7C9E823.jpeg
3CAF84A7-5A9C-403E-A2CC-0F52C2CD8688.jpeg
E1C2AF58-4497-44E5-A01C-4083176F3291.jpeg
DD7D7F2D-5DA0-4C9C-9256-81BFD795CF80.jpeg
A3786E98-DD72-47D3-B81D-830F900826BF.jpeg
D06E18EB-AE52-40E2-9090-5B2BD6979A82.jpeg
EE9EA445-A222-4FA0-A5D2-9429285FBDA0.jpeg

FE42F582-8501-482B-AD6C-5E2CEC94AAAF.jpeg
B9B731C2-977A-4207-8FDB-B3C11EC6EF4D.jpeg
BE88277C-BBEC-41B1-963A-0DE1B672BC50.jpeg
E8D4630A-0C6E-4514-A0EC-F9FBB6C90BA3.jpeg
45D6DB52-67C6-40D1-BFB9-61BBD2861BAB.jpeg

I’ve missed loads of things but wanted to get this started,

I have the OEM 19’s off as they need a refurb and not sure what finish to do them in yet - polished or diamond cut etc,
So I bought a new set of CSL reps for now swapping the new tyres over - plan will be to swap these tyres back onto the OEMs and put all-weathers on the CSLs to be used for winter months- I’ve never done that but seems a good idea :grinning:

Have no real plans with it (not like my last one with KW’s, Supersprint etc) other then:
I have an Inspection 2 booked in with Colm Hyland and make sure it’s totally sorted mechanically,
I’ll maybe get him to for Eibach Pro kit just to lower it a smidge and it will stop a potentially break of the standards which were prone to it.

Other than that I plan to enjoy it and daily it (5k /annum) for 3/4 years and then turn it into a garage queen around 70k- seal the underneath etc and hope it can still be an investment :grinning:

I’d love to hear any thoughts or ideas for it tho..

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
What a find. 😍

It’s an unbelievable find especially at the budget I was working with...

The lady used a Bavarian employee to take the car to MOTs and to get it ready for them etc
She NEVER used the engine to anywhere near its limit- she would have used Auto as said she was scared of the power etc- but did decent journeys in it to get it well Warmed up whenever it was taken out.

It’s amazing to think this engine has 50k miles and has never been properly tested- that’s unheard of for an M3 over here in NI!
And has no launch controls on it either obviously!

Edit- ordered BMW centre caps/badges for the CSL wheels

Last edited:

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Tremendous 👍🏻
Eibachs are a nice height with little or no compromise in ride quality. I’d the pro kit on mine if you want some pics to help you decide.

Cheers- Yea stick a pic up if you have one, but think I’ve already made my mind up to get them - will be fitted in 2 weeks with the Inspection service.
I thought the pro kit was perfect on my E92 M3 too

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
That’s a rare M3 for over here lol. Looks and sounds like an absolute minter and one to be kept for sunny days and weekends.

personally I would buy a half decent runaround for dailying and keep that in the style it has been accustomed too also keep the miles down as it’s a sure fire investment as it sits.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Paintwork is immaculate , counted 2 light stone chips near the front grill and one small scratch near the bottom corner that’s already had a neat touch up,
She paid a fortune to random local detailer companies - looks like there’s a decent coating of something on it - probabky just a good wax.
I don’t see any swirls / well not noticeable ones even when I was washing/ drying it in the sun, but no doubt I’ll want to give it a good DA and see how good I can get it up or else give it in to Pete for the works (I’ve never had that on any car)
That’s a rare M3 for over here lol. Looks and sounds like an absolute minter and one to be kept for sunny days and weekends.

personally I would buy a half decent runaround for dailying and keep that in the style it has been accustomed too also keep the miles down as it’s a sure fire investment as it sits.

Unfortunately I’m not in a position to do that until we move house after Xmas - it’s going to have 5k at least out on it dailying it for a year id say...
The sooner I get moved and get a good garage the better!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Honestly don’t drive it in winter if you can afford not to, even at 5k a year the salt will ruin underneath over time, M3s like that are starting to become very rare and hard to find.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Honestly don’t drive it in winter if you can afford not to, even at 5k a year the salt will ruin underneath over time, M3s like that are starting to become very rare and hard to find.

I know what you’re saying...
I wasn’t planning or looking for a garage queen tho and got this in my budget and obv couldn’t turn it down.
She turned down an offer over the phone of 21k from a some trader who got wind of it - happily for some reason she wanted me to have it.

I don’t even have a garage at the minute.
Is getting the underside sealed or cleaned properly somewhere after this winter an option before I then can store it properly?
I can’t get another second car until we get house sorted / i can’t even mention cars for a while lol

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Nice that she wanted you to have it and not some dealer who will wipe its arse and look to sell it on at a hefty profit, she obviously trusts that you will look after it.

Regards sealer I would put a few coats of clear stuff on it, I have bilt hamber UC on the impreza it’s quite light stuff but it’s a summer car only and it doesn’t even look like it has anything on it. At least the factory sealer is in great shape so this just adds a little more protection. Give it a good steam clean and degrease before hand too and let it dry for a week

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Mega find that and one to enjoy. If the SMG ever packs in I'd do the manual conversion

Yea, would always be an option - think it’s about £2.5k for parts and labour.
This is my 2nd SMG and I’m one of the Few that always loved it- I love that you have to think about changing gears rather than the likes of DSG/DCT
Nice that she wanted you to have it and not some dealer who will wipe its arse and look to sell it on at a hefty profit, she obviously trusts that you will look after it.

Regards sealer I would put a few coats of clear stuff on it, I have bilt hamber UC on the impreza it’s quite light stuff but it’s a summer car only and it doesn’t even look like it has anything on it. At least the factory sealer is in great shape so this just adds a little more protection. Give it a good steam clean and degrease before hand too and let it dry for a week

I think I’d just have to leave it into somewhere if such a place exists to do that...
would be a great idea tho to have it cleaned and done after I have to drive it until next March or so.
I’ll try and use the Missus’s car wherever I can on the bad days

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Yea, would always be an option - think it’s about £2.5k for parts and labour.
This is my 2nd SMG and I’m one of the Few that always loved it- I love that you have to think about changing gears rather than the likes of DSG/DCT

I think I’d just have to leave it into somewhere if such a place exists to do that...
would be a great idea tho to have it cleaned and done after I have to drive it until next March or so.
I’ll try and use the Missus’s car wherever I can on the bad days
I've never driven an E46 but just always thought the manual was a good fit for them. I have read about others that did like the SMG and you had to drive them a certain way to get the most out of them.

Whatever you do just drive the thing and enjoy it and look after it as best you can at the time. Nothing would suck the fun out of a car like trying to keep the miles off it and treating it like an investment.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
I've never driven an E46 but just always thought the manual was a good fit for them. I have read about others that did like the SMG and you had to drive them a certain way to get the most out of them.

Whatever you do just drive the thing and enjoy it and look after it as best you can at the time. Nothing would suck the fun out of a car like trying to keep the miles off it and treating it like an investment.

Yea was looking for an E46 M3 to daily (well I had given up hope of getting a decent one and was looking at other options again),
I’d want to drive this daily (when I can) until around 70k miles and then turn it into a proper weekend car.

Re the SMG, it was Melvyn talking about loving his back around 2011 that made me want to get one back then and I love it- as the only difference is really no clutch pedal -just have to imagine pushing a clutch pedal in when flicking paddles or stick and let off gas a touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALN

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I haven’t driven an smg but the manual although a tough unit was a bit agricultural, especially in traffic.

Don’t get me wrong about driving it, of course that’s what it was made for and I’m not saying tuck it away forever but for me I get more enjoyment out of something that’s older when I’m not driving it everyday... a 21 year old impreza RA is a fair bit more raw than an E46 M3 with SMG to be fair though 😂

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
I haven’t driven an smg but the manual although a tough unit was a bit agricultural, especially in traffic.

Don’t get me wrong about driving it, of course that’s what it was made for and I’m not saying tuck it away forever but for me I get more enjoyment out of something that’s older when I’m not driving it everyday... a 21 year old impreza RA is a fair bit more raw than an E46 M3 with SMG to be fair though 😂

Lol I do get what you’re saying and I agree...
If I can get it sealed and keep it as clean - starting to weekend it on minimum miles after car hits about 70k miles it should still be valuable I’d say hopefully :grinning:

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Awesome. That is a once in a lifetime find. More pics required of that beauty

Thanks appreciate all the nice comments!

I’m quite speechless about it really, was quite emotional last night too!
It’s all been a bit mad....
The lady is only letting it go to try and finally get over her husband and was a very emotional experience and for her too.
I’m just grateful she wanted it to go to me and actually came down even more than she had to-as she wanted me to be able to have room to enjoy it without being maxed out

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It just goes to show that money isn’t that important in that kind of situation. I’m sure she will get much more happiness seeing you own it and pampering it the way her husband did, I totally see why it would be emotional. HTD and I look forward to the updates.

PAULW

RMS Regular
Beautiful car, what a find. Health to enjoy! Don't daily it though, seems like a crime to do that to a car in such condition, never mind use it in winter. Mine hasn't seen a winter in 7 -8 years and it has double those miles and I hate for it to ever see to rain, never mind salt.

Gambit

RMS Regular
That's proper job that. I wouldnt be dailying it for time as you say, youd cost yourself a fortune come that 5yrs or so to make it back to the standard it is now. I'd buy a daily then run the m3 exactly as the previous owner did and then you have your enjoyment and still your investment imo