Skoda Fabia VRS

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Been after a new Daily to replace the 207 for a while but couldnt decided what to get. After looking at a whole range of things, Focus ST, BMW 335D Coupe, Audi TT mk2 2.0TDI Quattro Sline Black editions to name a few, but decided in the end to focus on my TT and get it fixed back up and sitting how i want it for the new year, and with the current traveling and parking situation no point having a nice 15k+ car sitting at the side of the carrige way getting stonechips and what not, time the new place/carpark is built the car will be needing a respray. Just nosing threw gumtree i came across a few cars and decided to go up and see it, always fancied one, had looked at a few cars previously with worn seats and generally trashed though this was pretty clean, reasonable miles, recent timing belt and service and nearly a full years mot, and not for alot of money.

DSC_1031_zpsyezqruru.jpg

DSC_1034_zpsxg3utz8z.jpg

DSC_1039_zps5beftx3f.jpg

Wheels arent orginal VRS wheels though will be looking to replace these with the standard wheels, or possibly TT comps or something OEM looking.....as i am trying my hardest to keep this one "standard"

After a good wash and Decontamination (will be getting a full polish etc over the next few days)
DSC_1069_zpssnkekqiz.jpg

DSC_1076_zpsqrosv26i.jpg

Old daily Vs New Daily.
DSC_1078_zpsxubmdqsc.jpg

Current Job is Restoring the Headlights (left side done)
DSC_1085_zpso4kygddf.jpg

Have to say i love it so far, driving it home from buying it had a good drive at it and lowest i got the Average MPG was to 49.1mpg, and also shocked a few people at how well it can shift! from lights etc As far as i know its standard engine wise, though possibly mapped, going to check it over next week mechanically and hopefully have it on the road by next weekend.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I absolutely loved mine, it served me for 6years without any issues apart from things I broke. Although by no stretch a hot hatch or anything, they are fairly rapid with a map to improve torque. I had looked at another recent as a daily, but I decided the likelihood of it remaining standard was too low.

Shameless post of my old car
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
If it's mapped it should pull away from a Golf GTD, much to their annoyance!

I did have an A4 pull along side me at the lights when i was taking it home, he was edging forward at the red light lights went green and left him sitting, i got to the speed limit and he blew passed and kept going....think he was a little annoyed lol

I absolutely loved mine, it served me for 6years without any issues apart from things I broke. Although by no stretch a hot hatch or anything, they are fairly rapid with a map to improve torque. I had looked at another recent as a daily, but I decided the likelihood of it remaining standard was too low.

Yeah i had heard people say over the years who drove/owned one they were great cars, now actualy owning one i have to say i love it! I had no intentions of doing anything to it as realistically was only going to be a car for 6months - year and sell on once ive the TT sorted. But i definatly think ill keep a hold of it for a while! and sneek a few mods in. Really like the Octavia Spider wheels on them too! really cant decide on what wheels lol All i know is i dont like the ones on it atm.

warren

RMS Photographer
I have a real soft spot for these cars. Always something I wanted just after I passed my test but never had a hope in hell of insuring. Some of them do look fantastic. Must say I think the wheels are very questionable and the exhausts exceedingly small but you could have serious fun with that!

Really smart looking car you had there too @collyirwin11

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I always had a soft spot for the ronal aero r50's i think they where called. Similar style to ronal turbo's. Think they look great on them.

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
They are great cars. I can't part with mine.

Not the best handling thing but it can shift. Has embarrassed many a bmw/audi owner....

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So when i bought the car i had though the flywheel needed changed, though my dad thought it was the Slave/bearing (also used this to get the price down) Though he assued me that the Flywheel maybe worn but has a good bit of life in it yet and wont drop out of it anytime soon. But seeing as i still had/have the Peugeot i decided to strip it down and see what the fuss is now rather than drive it on and a week after selling the peugeot, this goes caput!, Was a good job i did as uppon stripping the box out, turns out the Flywheel was VERY bad! with over an inch or two of rotational movement in the plate, and also could pull it forward and back from the engine and also the Slave/bearing was away with it.

So ordered up a new Sachs Clutch Kit and Flywheel, was still life in the clutch etc, but decided while im there i might as well change the lot! means i shouldnt have to go back near the box any time soon.
clutch_zpsitx5uwie.jpg

Got the Car on the road yesterday and have to say completely different car to drive! always known diesels to be a bit heavier clutch than petrols but this is so light! Lovely to drive! Also picked up a replacement exhaust, will hopefully get that on soon, Also fitted my Pioneer Double Din/Nav headunit that i had in the Peugeot and TT for a bit just waiting on a facia panel, also ran the wires for a sub, though awaiting some 4awg power wire as i used the last of it in another car.

Today took it for its first big run to Glenarm were i was at an Audi Showcase event, as the TT was off the road. So snapped a photo from the Marina
DSC_1524_zpsughqkhtm.jpg

Eagle eye'd members may notice the Green tow strap on the bumper, was hanging on the wall in the unit after taking it off my Old focus, and thought id chuck it on this for a bit of a laugh. Wheels definatly need changed! though waiting till the winter is over, for obvious reasons, and the tyres are pretty fresh. and also looking to get a bit more work done on the TT first, before i go deep into another project!. ive my eye on a set of alloys but dont really want to spend £900 on alloys + tyres, when the TT is sitting waiting on parts/money/time lol Possibly have a set of coilovers very soon...and afew other bits and pieces in my watch list on ebay.......so much for keeping this one standard!:oops:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Cool wee motors and can shift with a map - as you said, try keep it OEM. Get the original wheels, blacken the grill, lower and enjoy :cool:

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
What coilovers are you going for?

AP seem to be the go to set on these, so thinking thats what I'm going to go with. Though a friend of a friend recently wrote his one off and is breaking it, actually the car i got the exhaust off (standard item as the tips have been changed on mine) so he's getting back to me about his coilovers. Sadly his standard wheels were already sold.

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
AP seem to be the go to set on these, so thinking thats what I'm going to go with. Though a friend of a friend recently wrote his one off and is breaking it, actually the car i got the exhaust off (standard item as the tips have been changed on mine) so he's getting back to me about his coilovers. Sadly his standard wheels were already sold.

Aye AP's seem to be the ones to go for.....I had Weitecs in my car but all four corners failed.

Would love to stick another set in it, they look so well lowered.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Looking good. How did you restore the lights?

Thanks, Wet sanding the headlight with 2000grit and 2500 and then machine polish back up then a good coat of sealeant/wax, or some people choose to lacquer them after, though with drying times etc, and i keep my cars well looked after and top them up regularly with wax etc it should be 100%

Aye AP's seem to be the ones to go for.....I had Weitecs in my car but all four corners failed.

Would love to stick another set in it, they look so well lowered.

Yeah APs get good reviews even on the TT forum people recommend them granted they dont tend to go as low as other sets (thats for the TT anyway not sure what they are like lowering wise on the fabia), but i really dont want to go too low just close the gap in the arch a bit, I was tempted with springs so i couldnt be tempted to drop it on the ground again, and be the TT all over again lol, but then it really is hit or miss how well it sits and how well it drives, and then buying shocks to match on top soon adds up to a set of coilovers or more. Though i do think the shocks are a bit worn anyway it does feel a bit softish, but then maybe im just used to lowered cars/air suspension and normal suspension feels weird lol

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Love these

There was one for sale on here a month or so ago that looked bonkers spec wise! Think it was more powerful than my 330d lol

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Had a bad knocking/clunk when i bought the car though assued it was connected to the flywheel/clutch noise i had heard or possibly a drop link. though test driving after the flywheel was no noise so assumed it was connected, but driving it a couple days now part of the noise is back (other part of the noise was obviously the flywheel movement) Checked it over and turns out its a snapped spring right at the top how it was missed when changing the clutch etc.....so heres my "excuse" to lower it lol Also noticed it has Powerflex Bushes fitted to the front wishbones so has had a few pound spend on it by previous owners.

Photo of the replacement OEM exhaust
02_zps85yzqjrt.jpg

As far as i know mine has had the tips replaced but is still a standard box, so wanted the standard tip for it. think the OEM one is far nicer looking

And one of the headunit I fitted still waiting on the proper facia panel to tidy up the edges, couldnt wait to fit it needed to have the bluetooth for the music lol
01_zpsra4mxhyk.jpg

Love these

There was one for sale on here a month or so ago that looked bonkers spec wise! Think it was more powerful than my 330d lol

Yeah you can get them up to some crazy power/torque figures, and still get good mpg lol, im liking the idea but still take alot to convert me to a derv head lol.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.