Skoda Octavia vRS TDI 240bhp

61_Vert

RMS Regular
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
I was on the hunt for a large diesel family estate, with my Golf Plus on its last legs and 180K of not trouble free motoring, [MOTs were getting more and more expensive] it was time to change up. Skoda hadn't even entered my mind but with the TDI being such a close stable mate to the golf GTD sharing the same MQB platform and engine i thought id take a look.

i wanted a large boot, the octavia combi with the largest boot space in its class by some margin, box ticked. Hitting middle age i also wanted to relive some of my youth spent as a boy racer, so something with a bit of go.

I immediately spotted a really clean vRS DSG estate in Rallye Green with all the extras, black pack, winter pack, , it happened to have LKZ plate but was for sale near oldham, contacted the seller and agreed a price and was on the plane the next morning with cash. i had agreed when i got there the seller would pick me up. called when i landed and got immediately hung up! call on my other number and when he heard my name did the same. I had previously refused a deposit as i was going to be there in person the next day with cash. Im sitting at manchester airport 2 hours past and finally managed to track down one of his mates via a number i had previously called. He answered quite sheepishly then hung up. Alarms bells ringing i checked out the sellers facebook page which took about two minutes to find and it was littered with pictures of sports cars and one of him standing with two Kalashnakov rifles, ammo belts, and a huge Pakistan Flag in the back ground flanked by two mullahs turbans beards the lot! I literally dodged a bullet as he was scamming for deposit.

About a month or two later through a skoda site one of the members recognised him and posted this...

Nelson canal towpath drug dealers jailed

the gang leader was the same guy posting on gumtree...

Anyway i had to get a hire car and having not pre-booked i had to take what was available... A pink fiat 500... the guys in work ripped the p1ss out of me for that. I was going to have to drive it for 3 days around north wales. Anyway i found a similar vRS lower miles but not the same spec, manual and in Meteor Grey, this time from a dealer so decided to drive to Stansted dump the hire car there at the cost of £40 and drive back up that evening with the car.

Took one look and was impressed. 4 hour drive down turned into an 8 hour drive back. The commute from london back to Manchester was awful. 30mph or at a standstill for hours. Caught the ferry home from holyhead to dublin and enjoyed every minute of the drive. Ive made a few upgrades including a DTUK CRDT3+ three channel tuning system and pedal kit which makes for a much livelier drive now around 240BHP and 500nm torque compared to the standard 184bhp and 380nm.

Ive added H&R spacers and springs -40mm since this pictures. Some other bells and whistles from superskoda incuding full led lights all round and inside. Activated quite a few things including traffic sign recognition, High Beam Assist, cornering fogs, a personal plate, skirts and some other goodies. Canton sound system.

large.avatar_big.jpg.7eb7efe237c7a7059441ca5d1444e272.jpg

large_vRS4.jpg.e9cc5bcf22f2a4f74ee7facb5215445a.jpg

real carbon mirror covers, rear guards, handle covers and sprayed the lettering anthracite.
large_vRS3.jpg.de5892c388a2a6e91bd469f4547eba8c.jpg

-40mm springs
large.20171211_202007.jpg.d352ceabb56293193393b7650f6846a8.jpg

fitted a full alloy and fitting kit instead of the stupid tin of foam...
20171009_171640.jpg.b1f580c4fdaffbbd05a03b926ec0a8bc.jpg

carbonbadge.jpg.e1dd573a6c7fe3e6260c47ee268ada67.jpg

things to do are fit the rear maxton splitter, second muffler from milltek and carbon tips.
687-3-kopiowanie_u.jpg

and fit the 19" extremes and keep these gemini's as winters.

Last edited:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Love that, very nice. Bonnet and boot badges would be the only thing I’m not keen on.

What’s the craic with the front and rear plates being different?!
Didn’t even notice the 5 and 6 were different.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
That looks great. What do you think of the DTUK box as I am tempted to buy one?

61_Vert

RMS Regular
OP
61_Vert
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
That looks great. What do you think of the DTUK box as I am tempted to buy one?

wouldnt hesitate to get another, i didnt want to map it as ive had some bad experiences and this can be sold on or re-flashed for a different car if needed. the DTUK boxes are excellent as they are 3 channel so the power and torque is really smooth and you can choose three maps and dial them in to suit the car as well. Bonus is they box can be removed easily for whatever reason. i have a code for £80 off as well if needed

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Lucky escape with the 1st one. Love the colour was very tempted by one before I got my sportline.

61_Vert

RMS Regular
OP
61_Vert
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
following on the DTUK box considering ordering one

if you ever want a plod in mine your welcome. Its the same engine i believe, but you would probably notice the difference more in the golf as this estate is big. Ive done some VCDS mods to stop the ABS killing torque on launch but wheel spin is an issue especially in the wet. If i was buying another it would definitely be a 4x4

61_Vert

RMS Regular
OP
61_Vert
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
Lucky escape with the 1st one. Love the colour was very tempted by one before I got my sportline.
yep, if id been picked up you would probably be reading about me found floating in manchester canal....

I keep getting asked when im going to paint it! but i love the colour too

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
wouldnt hesitate to get another, i didnt want to map it as ive had some bad experiences and this can be sold on or re-flashed for a different car if needed. the DTUK boxes are excellent as they are 3 channel so the power and torque is really smooth and you can choose three maps and dial them in to suit the car as well. Bonus is they box can be removed easily for whatever reason. i have a code for £80 off as well if needed

That’s what I was afraid with the Golf and getting it mapped. Cheers for the voucher offer might take you up on it.

Vw Nut001

RMS Regular
Drives
biTDI C7 A6
if you ever want a plod in mine your welcome. Its the same engine i believe, but you would probably notice the difference more in the golf as this estate is big. Ive done some VCDS mods to stop the ABS killing torque on launch but wheel spin is an issue especially in the wet. If i was buying another it would definitely be a 4x4
I believe it is the same engine, I might take the leap and buy one and see how it fairs tbf is the torque change noticeable ?

61_Vert

RMS Regular
OP
61_Vert
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
I believe it is the same engine, I might take the leap and buy one and see how it fairs tbf is the torque change noticeable ?

compared to the original? its night and day... it pulls and keeps on pulling and doesn't tail off until after 5.5K.

I've had a run in the FL 245 TSI DSG and it was over 305bhp, the dsg 'fart' is the strangest thing but theres little or no break in power and torque.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Thats really nice, i would love a 5 series later on in the year. But these are always in the back of my mind.