Skyline R33 Spec2

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Also have the gearbox of the skyline sent off to Harry Smyth to get a rebuild so itl be a nicer driving experience and have right, few noises developed from the box which I though was the clutch bearing but the bearing was fine.

I replaced new clutch fork, master & slave cylinder and fresh oil but sent it back next day to get the box removed and sent off to rebuild.

the car will be shaping up just nice 😊

hippyross

RMS Regular
So I finally got time to go down to Mckeevers breakers, all the skylines were spec 1’s except one which was in an awful state (well they all were) but I took what I could from it anyways to see what I could do with it.

I need abit of the spec 2 cloth to repair my bolster and door card if I were to keep it stock and in perfect condition so I lifted these… 🤣

I spent 10mins on them and they came up well to be fair, Gona strip them and give a proper clean and send off to cut up and use to repair my small section.

View attachment 327108
View attachment 327109
View attachment 327110
View attachment 327111
Was able to get a passenger seat lever handle also, RESULT! 🙌🏻

Some of the other poor cars that have been lying there for years, what a waste 😞View attachment 327112View attachment 327113View attachment 327114View attachment 327115
See any 33 gtst side skirts down there 👀

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Some cars chopped up in that yard, it’s the circle of life for old skylines. Think of it as ones in that yard keep ones on the road.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
See any 33 gtst side skirts down there 👀

I wasn’t looking for them so didn’t even notice lol

the cars are well picked and barely anything salvageable

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Sent some pics today this is just one of them, first time seeing the inside of a gearbox lol

Having all the bearings changed and 1st & 2nd sychro changed so make the box smoooooth.

find out tomorrow if I can get the parts, Nissan dealership were useless at getting parts, but friendly staff
5F9D22AB-4E53-48FC-B195-8206567A990A.jpeg

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Conceptua tuning sold rebuild bits.

for anything else, Brian is parts guy at Newtownabbey Nissan, he’s a Nissan geek and into silvias, skylines etc, if it can be got he will try his best.

use nissans own gear oil too, it’s the best stuff for them, it’s specifically GL4 rated.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Seamy McCooey over the border also was refurbing boxes. Could be worth a message.
thanks man!
Another vote for dying the head cloth black. Really looks well and isnt hard to get out.
Yea think I defo will go down that rough once car comes back with rebuild gearbox etc 😊

Find myself looking up upgrade engine parts most nights bored…. Considering order bit by bit over time so I’m not forking out thousands at once.

round 450-500bhp (without forging for now or at least a long enough time) 😅

Can someone give me or link me to the exact parts I need be looking into ordering? I don’t have a clue except 6boost manifold but do I need a certain type to suit a certain turbo etc. HELP 😆

plan to change my cheap benchmark coilpacks that came with car to spitfire coilpack when adding the go faster bits or is the R8 ones better?

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
My advice. Don’t bother
Stick a hybrid turbo on it, run 1.4 bar, decent map, even power FC and z32 afm is completely fine, some 550cc injectors, full exhaust decatted turbo back, intercooler, fuel pump and enjoy it

370 odd bhp but believe me that be going well on a road car.

it’s 100% not worth going any further, I’ve done it, got the T shirt and at a guess 10k missing from my bank to prove it. Lol.

if you really want to waste the money then 6 boost, gtx3071 or 3076 or precision turbo, v band setup is handy. Pistons. Rods and lots of other stuff. I’d recommend contacting Wayne Taylor, auto extreme. , he can sell you absolutely everything and will offer some discount if you go mental and max out a credit card.

Last edited:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
You think they’re in drivable at 450-500? As in just lose traction too easy? Already bad enough at stepping out but lacks low down power..decent when get going

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
You think they’re in drivable at 450-500? As in just lose traction too easy? Already bad enough at stepping out but lacks low down power..decent when get going

yours needs some boost and a map. The fuel map is all over the place on them when you add some mods on a standard ecu. You don’t need 500bhp to fix that

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
yours needs some boost and a map. The fuel map is all over the place on them when you add some mods on a standard ecu. You don’t need 500bhp to fix that

yea fair point.

I want to change the manifold etc at some point, top mounts look superb when done also. Il see how I get on once cars built up and interior tidied. Its endless 😂

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I changed the inlet manifold on a car before, made no real difference.
all these mods I’ve first hand experience of doing on my 4 r33’s and 2 r34’s by the way, so not just something I’ve read etc, or trying to sell you either.

it will genuinely be night and day different car at 1.3 bar or so on a hybrid turbo and a decent map. There will be no bog down feeling your experiencing and will be fun. And will be under a quarter of the cost of top mount 450bhp plus sort of thing.

direct replacement turbo zero fabrication needed. I fitted one in a afternoon and I struggle to put my hands together. Only thing is ignore the power claims, the most they will do on a proper dyno on 97ron is about 360-380 on a good day,

Last edited:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Waiting on garage D getting back to me to confirm, they may only have one outta two marks needed

rang conceptua, they’re 2 weeks back order and Gona ring me back with prices

anyone have the number for seamy mccooey @Eager?

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Never mind, Garage D had both and they’l be with me by Friday all being well 🥳🙌🏻

all bearings and 1st & 2nd synchro etc being replaced… it shall be the smoothest rb25 box in the land 🤣

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
They are very picky about oil. I remember my first skyline, smooth as butter between changes, genuinely fantastic. I thought sure I’ll change the oil, can’t do any harm
Wrong
I never ever got it back to how it changed, whatever was in it from Japan was fantastic. But that was before I knew to stick to ke91699932

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
So got the gearbox back last week, finally got it fitted the other day.

I put all the interior back in today (for now) to enjoy driving it for summer, thanks to @Eager for spying two spec2 seats on fb so I’m trying to organise that and seeing about getting it shipped to me, see what comes from that.

took the car for its first proper spin tonight since getting it back 😍 gearbox is just beaut, gear selection nice and smooth and everything feels a lot more solid and tighter 👍

Mark at MMA Mallusk & Harry/Paul Smyth sorted it along with garage D etc for parts. Was abit tricky but got there in the end.

took spin to Dundrod direction tonight and then bumped into Stu’s little mini which looks superb 😊
6FF73A55-76EA-4E4B-9F9B-C57C30F13C44.jpeg
D00112B3-241C-4B69-9B74-928FD3D5BAD2.jpeg

many many fly’s killed tonight 😅
4D6147CC-D072-46B4-87BB-386ACA6A4146.jpeg

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Didn’t know if Harry smyth was still doing gearboxes
I remember I had to take a box from my first car (a mighty 1.9 straight diesel polo) to him after giving the car got death on some ice one night. Ah to be on R plates lol

good job on chasing up the seats.

Last edited:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Harry himself isn’t but his son paul continued the business on the last load of years alone supposely