Small first time driver car....

Guz

RMS Regular
Drives
TT
Apologies for another wanted car thread. I'm looking something small for my 22 year old daughter, it'll be her first car on the road and first time with insurance in her own name.

It must be safe, reliable, economical, presentable and have service history and preferably low miles. I appreciate what I may be looking for a tough find but thought I'd ask here anyway (y)

I've set a budget of £1900 (could go a bit more for something super duper, not looking to rip you off or get ripped off) as I suspect it'll pick up a few parking and reversing dings, which will annoy the life out of me as I like detailing etc and will have to pay for the repairs.

At the minute we really like, Citroen DS3, Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift, Hyundai I20, Fiat 500, Vauxhall Adam...... don't like Corsa or Clio..

There may be other models that I have missed so happy to consider all options.

Thanks in advance.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Fiat 500 is a surprisingly good drive. Also hard to beat a Polo. Or a Mini is kinda the default choice.

Reactions: Guz

Guz

RMS Regular
OP
Guz
Drives
TT
Fiat 500 is a surprisingly good drive. Also hard to beat a Polo. Or a Mini is kinda the default choice.

Thanks Davy, yes she loves the Fiat 500, although they do seem to hold their money..

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
Citroen c1 very affordable for insurance. Got our seventeen year old on her own policy for 700

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Focus to big?? £1700 for a 2009 with 78k
IMG_20200503_160535892.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Based on my experience with my own kids, get something big with a good crash rating that is worth frig all. I had to bin 2 of their first cars out of 3 kids.. One is missing a kneecap now because he smashed it off the dash bar in a fiat seicento that had 1.5ncap stars.

Guz

RMS Regular
OP
Guz
Drives
TT
Based on my experience with my own kids, get something big with a good crash rating that is worth frig all. I had to bin 2 of their first cars out of 3 kids.. One is missing a kneecap now because he smashed it off the dash bar in a fiat seicento that had 1.5ncap stars.

Ah mate, parents worst nightmare, sorry to hear of your woes. Yes safety and reliability are my main criteria. Think the Yaris has a 4 star ncap rating.. my wife is up to ‘high dough’ thinking about our daughter out on the road by herself.

My first car back in 1990 was a 1.3 Mini Metro (ye ha), the drivers seat backrest was broke and I flew about everywhere in it. Looking back it wasn’t fit for the fields !

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Another vote for the Mini.

Can be got cheap with plenty of them so lots to chose from
Good safety rating
Reliable wee car and if it ever does need anything parts are readilly available
Yet to meet a woman who doesn’t like them

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Ah mate, parents worst nightmare, sorry to hear of your woes. Yes safety and reliability are my main criteria. Think the Yaris has a 4 star ncap rating.. my wife is up to ‘high dough’ thinking about our daughter out on the road by herself.

My first car back in 1990 was a 1.3 Mini Metro (ye ha), the drivers seat backrest was broke and I flew about everywhere in it. Looking back it wasn’t fit for the fields !

Yeah, sh1te one tbh but at least he's got a cool scar to show off. It was a small accident at low speed but the wee thing literally folded up. I went out and bought two cars for the daughters immediately after it happened that had 4 star ratings. :pensive: Biggest regret.
The Yaris should be fine with 4 stars. (y)

Chris0

RMS Regular
Misses has a Seat Ibiza 2009, 1.2 petrol, 3 door, metallic green colour, 88k miles, 2 owners.

Only reason it's for sale is we needed a 5 door

£1850