Smart alloy repair??

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
21CAE711-FB37-42D1-8191-00E25D5D5989.jpeg

Anyone know if this can be fixed on its own or will require a full wheel refurb? Wife just curbed it after one day 😐 Thanks

KevM

RMS Regular
You could smart repair the bad look off it and it would be unnoticeable. Which reminds me, my Mrs did the same during the week.

To repair it properly, it needs diamond cut and re-lacquered.

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
OP
Mk4sup
Cheers, probably best for proper repair. One day she’s had it.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
if you touch up it will need lacquered ASAP and sealed as the moisture will get in and spread.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
View attachment 325948
Anyone know if this can be fixed on its own or will require a full wheel refurb? Wife just curbed it after one day 😐 Thanks
That looks very similar to a small hishap I had, only the lip damaged.
Alloy wheel repairs NI in Dundonald fixed it.
The alloy did not need diamond cut, but the whole wheel was given a satin coat.
Tyre wasn't even removed.
Done same day too

Gavlar

RMS Regular
That will come out easy DIY. Wet sand it down, Mothers polish, lacquer then carbon collective platinum wheel sealant. I had to do this to 4 alloys the other month, still look well and not a bit of corrosion. They were diamond cut aswell, you'd need to know and look for it to notice

I had 4 wheels to do or I probably would've went smart repair if it was just the one

Before and after below
IMG-20210303-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20210613_172040.jpg

Last edited:

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
OP
Mk4sup
That looks good. Didn’t think you could get that good looking DIY repair. Can I ask what grit sandpaper you used?
No disrespect btw I’ve been down this road lol
😂 none taken, I did consider this but last car she had for 5 yrs and never hit them. Just unlucky I suppose in day two!

Gavlar

RMS Regular
That looks good. Didn’t think you could get that good looking DIY repair. Can I ask what grit sandpaper you used?

😂 none taken, I did consider this but last car she had for 5 yrs and never hit them. Just unlucky I suppose in day two!
Didn't take long at all tbh. I used 80, 400, 600, 800, 1200 about 15/20mins each grade depending how you get on. Then used meguirs ultimate compound (forgot to mention this in post above, took out any light sand marks on the good areas of lacquer), metal polish, lacquer, then finally wheel sealant. Only reason I went with the Carbon Collective one is because they stated a minimum 2 year protection

Last edited:

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd just revive this one. Anyone know if it's possible to carry out a smart repair on this, and if so, any recommendations for someone to do it? Preferably someone who travels to me. New wheels on the car for about 2 weeks, car sitting in the driveway and I just noticed this. I'm the only one drives the car and I 100% haven't hit any kerbs. I'm guessing i've grazed a stone on the road or something.

1657188777905.png

1657188791712.png

J-VW

RMS Regular
Looking something similar done myself after a kerb stepped out....😭😭
IMG_20220703_144451.jpg

C.J

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk3TTQuattro
141F256A-6E03-4ADF-B7EA-EA8B8FDD6D75.jpeg

Is this something that could be smart repaired? If so any recommendations for someone to do it?

It started as a little stone mark that @big_pete pointed out a couple of weeks ago and I think I have damaged the lacquer with the pressure washer. There is a sharp edge where the lacquer has flicked off.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
IMO its part of the polished face so would need to go into the lathe/CNC machine to be done right

Where are you based? You have Polished Alloys in Dundonald and Bodyworx NI in Magheralin - I could help with both but IMO you are looking at a refurb which won't be overly expensive for one wheel

PS - saw your post of NIAOC, didn't realise that was you.

C.J

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk3TTQuattro
Yeah, Im just sickened because they have only done 2.5k miles since they left NuLuk last year.

Plus a refurb probably means losing the Audi Sport logo. But rather than than a big corroded mess I suppose

I’m not sure if I would be better off just getting all four painted in Titanium, Dark Satin Grey or Audi Dark Sparkle. Diamond cut is just another countdown.

7E2ACF39-4570-4C5F-8144-AD8FA75948F5.jpeg