Smart Parking Fine - Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance and Finance' started by markboyle, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Gaz VW RMS Regular

Gaz VW
    Drives:
    MX5 Turbo // CLK
    PEA/Smart fines etc aren't worth the paper they're written on. Bin immediately, usually. Same goes for the clamps. If you leave it for a couple of days they know they're not going to get paid so remove it to place on some other poor sod's car.

The fact this was a rental fine though changes things. Presumably the fine went to them, and they're hounding you for it? I can't imagine any rental company is going to want this hanging over them, whether they know the PEA are a load of criminals or not.

2. WSM RMS Regular

WSM
    Drives:
    GTR
    Got one of these myself from UKPC for parking over two spaces whilst at a shopping complex.

Laughed, took a snapchat, threw it in the bin. :party:

3. markboyle RMS Regular

markboyle
    Drives:
    VW MK6 GTI
    What happens if you get a letter from a debt collection agency? :relieved: The only fear I really have is any adverse effect not paying this could have on a credit rating. Would be so unfortunate be be disadvantaged by something as silly as sometime in the future. Hoping someone here knows if this is a possibility for sure rather than guessing.

4. WSM RMS Regular

WSM
    Drives:
    GTR
    Ignore it at all costs. It's not legal. It's not enforceable. You'll get a debt collector letter & most likely a 'ropey' solicitors letter. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.

Credit Rating is also generally bull****, ignore that as well.

5. ChrisR RMS Regular

ChrisR
    Drives:
    MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
    I questioned non payment of house management fees affecting my credit score and in NI it would have to go to court before non payment can affect credit score so i'd imagine this type of payment would be the same. (obviously direct debits etc are different)

6. Rocko RMS Regular

Rocko
    Companies do use it though.

7. WSM RMS Regular

WSM
    Drives:
    GTR
    Of course these do, but in this context these clowns are going to make no difference to his ratings.

8. Rocko RMS Regular

Rocko
    I would hope not, but as a general rule I wouldn't ignore your credit rating.

9. WSM RMS Regular

WSM
    Drives:
    GTR
    If it makes you happy to know your score then I'm glad. It's not something I've ever cared about and I don't believe I've ever been refused credit.

10. Rocko RMS Regular

Rocko
    TBH It's worse knowing it, I'm forever checking the bloody thing.

WSM likes this.
  11. markboyle RMS Regular

markboyle
    Drives:
    VW MK6 GTI
    I'd still like to find out from someone who really knows this area officially, but from some internet research, your credit rating will only be altered if you are taken to court, goes in the parking company's favour and at that point you still refuse to pay. So a lot has to happen before it gets to that... or so the internet says.