So You Want to See Formula One... in Monaco

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
On the RMS Blog: I’ve never attended an F1 event of any description, but when another RMS member floated the idea of  going to the Monaco Grand Prix back in May of this year, I jumped at the chance.

The reasoning was simple - go to the likes of the British GP at Silverstone, and the flights and travel culminate in a few hours of sitting around in a grandstand.  There is little chance of getting up close to the teams, drivers or more importantly cars and kit, unless you buy an extortionately priced VIP type ticket (or can wangle one for free).  Plus the weather could be horrendous.  Enter Monaco.

I can hear your protests already.  Surely this tiny principality that nestles inside France's borders on the Cote D'Azure, holiday destination of Europe's rich and famous, would mean a third mortgage on the house and beans on toast for the next five years.  And what's wrong with Silverstone?

I'll get to the travel part shortly, as getting there from Belfast is easy and cheap.  That isn't the main appeal though. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
@BBSBOY and I went in 2008 to blow off some steam after final year at uni! Fantastic experience and would love to do it again.

That was the year it pished down for the whole race.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Would love to do a proper f1 weekend and Monaco def b up there as at the top of the wish list

Always liked monza as a track too

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Monaco is def one to check off the bucket list, can't see me wanting the drop the cash for current F1 though. I've went to Silverstone and Hockenheim in the Michael Schumacher years and hands down Hockenheim was the better race. Partying in the forest camp site with Germans who had kegs of beer in their tents was a phenomenal experience.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I have been to Monaco 3 times in the 90s for the races. I wouldn't rush back spa is a far better circuit and not a procession. Sitting at eau rouge with 20 screaming v10 f1 cars going past is a noise and experience I will never forget.

ph11mcf

RMS Regular
Drives
SQ7/ftype v8
Ive been to silverstone ,pure rubbish and expensive.
The only good thing was the sound,thats when they did sound good
You end up watching big screen at the track
Ive been to monaco not for grand prix ,its not a very big place it must be mental grand prix time
Would be great if you could get an apartment overlooking track tho

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Roughly how much did your Monaco experience cost?
Flights for 2 were about £200 return. Hotel in Menton was £150/night and I think the likes of Thursday grandstand tickets are around €70 (that increases significantly the closer you get to the Sunday).

It's interesting that the F1 haters reply. I'm the first one to admit I'm not a huge F1 fan, but this trip is much more than a two hour circuit race. It's the whole carnival/party atmosphere, the celebrities and the teams out having the craic and me, Joe Soap, walking amongst them. And you get a race. The circuit is epic too.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Spent my honeymoon in Monaco and it was superb. I WILL get back there for the F1 :grinning: and this article has just reaffirmed that decision.

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
Nice write up, i will be visiting monaco again in the coming months but not for the F1, it will be a big write up hopefully.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@Cooper if you get he chance go to the historic gp in Monaco far better and not as many people walking about with there heads up the arse.

Was gonna say this too. Not been myself but much more interesting cars / noise and suspension that can cope with the roads. I gave up watching F1 in the early - mid 2000's as it just was too boring for me. Having said that, I was lucky enough to spanner on some old single seaters in the late 80's and didn't appreciate 'new' stuff.

migs

RMS Regular

Supercars of Monaco video attached... Its my favourite place in the world... Ive been 10+ times through family holidays and now several times with the good lady. Never for the F1 tho, as im not a fan, I was there as recently as last month, we stay in a caravan about an hours drive from Monaco and the journey along the coast is stunning... So good this year we went 2 days in a row. the agreement with the good lady was that if we are going she got to go to the beach.... The video above will show what I spent my days doing lol

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
No interest in F1 at all but after seeing this I would love to go, as you said its the theatre of it all thats making me want to do it!

Stocky

RMS Regular
Not really an F1 fan myself but got a friend who is involved with motorsport in Dubai and I'm heading next month to the Dubai Grand Prix to be a support marshall (nothing important - basically drive round the track making sure other marshalls are feed/watered). Should be a once in a lifetime experience with access to most of the track and pits, looking forward to it!

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
Didnt see the f1 but monaco is some spot
Was in nice a few years back and got tge train in for a day

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

KevM

RMS Regular
Would it be pointless to go to this without actually attending Sunday race-day?

Surely Thursday Friday Saturday tick the F1 Monaco experience box just as well, but a bit more easy going/less crowded/less expensive?

I'd like to go with the Mrs, but don't see the appeal of sitting like sardines with no view on la rocher all day Sunday... I'd rather watch the race smashing Pints in a good bar?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.