Solasyphon Solar Water Heater - Willis Heating Belfast

johnjb

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo V50
Has anyone fitted the Solasyphon Solar Water Heater made by Willis Heating Belfast .
Any feedback would be welcome

Thanks

Ghost

RMS Regular
Haven't heard of it but would consider it. Any more details.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Any further on this.
I worked in Thermomax (now Kingspan owned) as a student, albeit 22 years ago, and know their system was very good. Now wondering what else is out there

Edit - seems they fit thermomax stuff as detailed on the Willis website. Must be a sign…

johnjb

RMS Regular
OP
J
Drives
Volvo V50
Any further on this.
I worked in Thermomax (now Kingspan owned) as a student, albeit 22 years ago, and know their system was very good. Now wondering what else is out there

Edit - seems they fit thermomax stuff as detailed on the Willis website. Must be a sign…
I contacted Willis heating for a ball park price for an installation, they quoted 4 - 5k incl vat., seemed a bit excessive because the unit itself can be obtained for less than £500 on internet? Not a runner for myself.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I got a kingspan / Thermomax system a few years back and the pump, controller, tank stats, panels, flex tubes etc were around £1.2k from Jebbs' in Belfast through a neighbour who worked there. The twin coil tank was around £350 but I had bought that a year or so previously in preparation for fitting solar and also due to corrosion in my old tank. Fitted the panels myself and got a plumber in the family to help me out for a Saturday to get it plumbed up and then I did the wiring myself also. Worth doing imo, reduced our oil consumption by a fair amount.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I got a kingspan / Thermomax system a few years back and the pump, controller, tank stats, panels, flex tubes etc were around £1.2k from Jebbs' in Belfast through a neighbour who worked there. The twin coil tank was around £350 but I had bought that a year or so previously in preparation for fitting solar and also due to corrosion in my old tank. Fitted the panels myself and got a plumber in the family to help me out for a Saturday to get it plumbed up and then I did the wiring myself also. Worth doing imo, reduced our oil consumption by a fair amount.

How does such a system fair in winter ?

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I have an Iboost which is a similar idea wired to a bigger immersion heater. Over 8 years it has diverted almost 14000 Kwh of excess solar to the hot water tank. It is all dependent on your export if you are relying on PV production. During the winter there are days when it will do nothing and if it is sunny you can still have a full tank of hot water; overall it will be less effective Nov - Feb but perhaps the design of the system described above is able to circumvent these restrictions? As stated it has massively reduced my oil bill.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird

surprisingly well they really only need light tho direct sunlight is better i have fitted quite a few off these systems

i also do servicing and maintenance on them and the worcester panels
I contacted Willis heating for a ball park price for an installation, they quoted 4 - 5k incl vat., seemed a bit excessive because the unit itself can be obtained for less than £500 on internet? Not a runner for myself.

i am happy to get you an estimate even if you buy the stuff

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
As above, any reasonably clear skies or sun in the winter will give you a boost of heat into the tank. Generally you will get around 2.5 times the outside temp at the panels due to the reflectors inside them which will lift the temperature in the tank up to at least the low to mid 20's in the winter and up to the high 70's in the summer.
This is the water heating solar panels I'm talking about btw.