Sold As Seen Podcast Episode 4 - Overnight Parts from Japan with Chris Gray

•   
The Sold as Seen team pay their respects to a local legend from the Northern Ireland car community. Sadly, Dave “the Boffin” Hollinger, the man with most recognisable Toyota Corolla “twin cam” on this island, was laid to rest this week. Andy, Craig and Gaz deliver their own personal eulogy to Dave, recalling how he was often at the centre of every car event during the early 2000s.

It is very fitting that his week’s guest was no stranger to either Dave or the world of “twin cams”. Chris Gray of AE86 World joins the team to tell us about his love of Japan: the cars, the culture and the people.

Chris Gray and Smoky Niigata from Top Secret

Listen to Chris talk about how his Dad and his brother passed on a passion for fast cars and modified motors. A chance encounter with a R32 Skyline GT-R sparked a deep interest in JDM car culture that wouldn’t go away.

Hear how – at the age of just 18 – Chris boarded a plane and took off for Tokyo, armed with nothing more than a folder full of directions printed from Google Maps.

Bright Neon Lights in a Japanese City

A two week tuning shop binge laid the foundations for a future career, a business and a family.

AE86 World Demo Car

It’s a place we think we know so much about, yet we really know so little. So ,if you want first hand stories about what life in Japan is really like, how a passion became a living and rubbing shoulders with the one and only Drift King, this is a must listen.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Audio in the interview is gone wrong in mine, listening through Spotify. Questions and answers all playing at once lol

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Got a time stamp for that?

There were some connection issues that Chris would be talking and not hearing our questions coming through to him.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Audio in the interview is gone wrong in mine, listening through Spotify. Questions and answers all playing at once lol
Did it download from spotify last night? Try playing it live, I had an upload boo boo and re-uploaded but it might have downloaded the old version.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Got a time stamp for that?

There were some connection issues that Chris would be talking and not hearing our questions coming through to him.
Testing through the phone here to see if it was the echo dot causing the issue. Was right at the start of the interview though. Seems to bebokay through the phone so far though
Did it download from spotify last night? Try playing it live, I had an upload boo boo and re-uploaded but it might have downloaded the old version.
Wasn't downloaded but I've closed and reopened Spotify and seems to be resolved 👌

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Testing through the phone here to see if it was the echo dot causing the issue. Was right at the start of the interview though. Seems to bebokay through the phone so far though

Wasn't downloaded but I've closed and reopened Spotify and seems to be resolved 👌
Alexaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SlowRider

RMS Regular
Downloaded through Acast and the audio is a mess right from the start. Gave up after 5 mins because I couldn't make sense of it.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
It's still bad through Alexa for some reason, even though I'm casting it from the phone
Would it be using Amazon music instead I wonder or spotify? I made a balls of the first upload and updated it straight away with the fixed audio but some service somewhere must be taking its time to update.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Would it be using Amazon music instead I wonder or spotify? I made a balls of the first upload and updated it straight away with the fixed audio but some service somewhere must be taking its time to update.
Could be. Will give it a while and try again

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Downloaded through Acast and the audio is a mess right from the start. Gave up after 5 mins because I couldn't make sense of it.

Any particular time? Or when did you download?

I had a quick listen using Acast and it seems fine? There is some talking over each other with Chris but that was a connection issue.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Android is up and down on you @Cooper only half an hour into it that's on amazon music through the phone linking to a player. It sounds a mess when not plugged in just on the phones speaker.

Reactions: Gaz

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
He might not love me putting him forward (sorry Chris :kissing_heart:) but @chrisd1 would be an interesting chat into the Japanese stuff. Has built a big following with his brand and worked on some interesting projects.

Right, what do I get for the recommendation? :laughing:

Enjoyed that episode. Been following Noriyaro videos for years, and the Juicebox stuff at the minute is brilliant. Japan looks like a fascinating place.