Someone to fit a towbar

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Any recommendations for some one to fit a towbar? I did the Octavia and last X5 myself, but I just don't have time to be doing it at the moment.

I'll be phoning Tommy Towbar later, but open to alternatives who are just as good.

wes

RMS Regular
I bought one 2nd hand and fitted it to my xc60 the fella had it on his company car and recommended towbarsni in dundonald (i fitted myself so cant comment on their work myself)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers men. I’d got a price for supply and fit from them last week, so just replied seeing if they do install only.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers men. I’ve exhausted all options and have decided to fit it myself. I can get the kit for £360 and the cheapest price for the same fitted is £630, or £200 to have the kit fitted by Tommy. Just can’t justify the extra £ on something I can do myself.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Two HUNDRED to fit a towbar !?! Does modern stuff not have pre drilled holes etc?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Does the £200 include the box/electrics
Seems expensive,never charged me anything like that for fitting a towbar

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
TowBarsNI did my E71 removable bar I was very pleased with it.

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
It’s literally just the labour!!
Depends on the time required x workers liability x insurance x rent x rates x wages. £200 wont get you much workshop time anywhere. Can be a real bugger with vehicles with pdc sensors etc. Damage one sensor and your down £100 alone. You cant even change a battery in modern BMW without an EML lighting up.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It's not nuts and bolts, presumably there's the software and programming part too. Linking in with ESC and parking sensors, etc.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
It's not nuts and bolts, presumably there's the software and programming part too. Linking in with ESC and parking sensors, etc.

Not with a full plug and play kit. I bought a genuine Honda wiring loom and separate towbar for my 07 CR-V and fitted it all myself and it just plugs in to the existing loom and has it’s own ‘ecu’. The CR-V has trailer stability control etc. and zero programming needed. I can’t imagine an X5 is much different.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Two HUNDRED to fit a towbar !?! Does modern stuff not have pre drilled holes etc?

If the wiring doesnt simply plug in, you might be grateful of someone else doing it ! lol

And whether there are holes already will vary with every different application....as will the need to remove rear bumper etc. Really, £200 to fit could be a bargain in some cases.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Obviously most people on here have never fitted a towbar to a modern vehicle. Gone are the days of pre drilled holes and an hours labour to fit. Most VAG stuff which I fit with the dedicated loom will take a good few hours by the time you have interior trims stripped out, wiring looms located and secured, bumper removed, crash bar removed, towbar mounted, plug mounted, wiring inserted to the the correct pins on the BCM etc, programming. So in fairness £200 isn't bad.

wes

RMS Regular
Not sure on the bmw my towbar came with harness. 2 hrs to fit roughly to xc60. Was quite handy, but no 2 jobs are the same.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Obviously most people on here have never fitted a towbar to a modern vehicle. Gone are the days of pre drilled holes and an hours labour to fit. Most VAG stuff which I fit with the dedicated loom will take a good few hours by the time you have interior trims stripped out, wiring looms located and secured, bumper removed, crash bar removed, towbar mounted, plug mounted, wiring inserted to the the correct pins on the BCM etc, programming. So in fairness £200 isn't bad.

So you’re saying modern VAG stuff doesn’t have predrilled holes? Can’t be right surely - why would a manufacturer stop doing that?

It’s certainly a few hours work doing it but not difficult to do if you have the time to do it yourself (programming excluded of course).

dervsport

RMS Regular
Depends on the time required x workers liability x insurance x rent x rates x wages. £200 wont get you much workshop time anywhere. Can be a real bugger with vehicles with pdc sensors etc. Damage one sensor and your down £100 alone. You cant even change a battery in modern BMW without an EML lighting up.

Changing a battery brings on the EML? Are you sure? Explain that one to me?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.