Someone to fit a towbar

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dervsport

RMS Regular
Yes you would. @scubbay is right, changing the battery in a modern-era BMW puts an EML light on, or drops it into limp mode, until it's been told via diagnostics that there is a new battery fitted. Not strictly a "coding" issue to use the term correctly I suppose, but it certainly does need the use of a laptop and £80 of BMWs time (or £20 of a friendly inde) to sort the installation out.

What fault code do you get? Limp mode also? Never seen it. How does it work out that the battery is new? You understand that SOC for a battery is worked out over a period of time so there is no way the vehicle would know that the battery has a different state of charge until a few drive cycles?

The engine management system is not directly involved with battery management, there is a separate system for that and this feeds the relevant data to the engine management system usually via LIN bus.

What particular models have you experienced th EML and limp mode on when changing batteries?

Last edited:

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
I had one fitted to the Tiguan about 2 weeks ago from Indespension and it cost £206 all in i was quoted £225+VAT on the phone but when i went down to get it fitted the fella charged me £206.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Somewhere in Northern Ireland? Interesting. Perhaps the towbar only cost £6. ^o)

Last edited:

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
Recent quote I received :joy:. Clearly meant to be £200

Indespension Belfast <Belfast.Depot@indespension.co.uk>
To:
tom

19 Nov at 10:52

Good morning Tom

A fixed swan neck towbar with 7 pin electrics is £2000 plus vat

Kind regards

Kim

Indespension Limited

7-11 Scullions Road| Newtonabbey|Mallusk | Belfast | BT36 4WX

T: 028 9083 9933

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
I dunno...Indespension are pretty damn dear !
Good afternoon tom

O my goodness yes a little error there I think at £2000 you might get a car free with the towbar haha J

£200 plus vat

If you’d like to get booked in feel free to call me. I will be back in tomorrow from 8.30

Kind regards

Kim

By far the cheapest I have found

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Obviously most people on here have never fitted a towbar to a modern vehicle. Gone are the days of pre drilled holes and an hours labour to fit. Most VAG stuff which I fit with the dedicated loom will take a good few hours by the time you have interior trims stripped out, wiring looms located and secured, bumper removed, crash bar removed, towbar mounted, plug mounted, wiring inserted to the the correct pins on the BCM etc, programming. So in fairness £200 isn't bad.
Fancy fitting one to the A6? :joy:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.