Something Weird Going On Here: Just Collected My Saab 9-3

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
So much want for those Hirsch wheels for my 9-5. They are like hen's teeth and pretty expensive.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The 150 Fiat unit is class, just goes and goes. I had a 2.4 in my 156 which was an unbelievable unit too but the gearbox (GM) and in particular the inner CV joints were made of chocolate. If you gave the 156 anything like full beans with any lock on, it would kill an inner CV joint. I kept a stock of them. We sold our Bravo 150 Sport to my son as it was worth very little in any case but it's such a good engine. We did 60K in 3 years with it with no bother, just regular servicing although an inner CV is now showing signs of going at 90K. There's something very cool about Saabs, had a few mates that had them and loved them. That thing has 'Track car tow vehicle' written on the side of it though.. (y)

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Congratulations......

On the birth of your Grandaughter!

Really nice car though.. contemplating something similar next time. ( and I have a 10 year old Grandaughter ).

Reactions: JD.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
How are you getting on with this @Cooper?

Really have a hankering for one, looking across the water for one myself.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Does anyone on here have a petrol one? I'd love a wee test to see what it's all about!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Does anyone on here have a petrol one? I'd love a wee test to see what it's all about!
Greenisland and a rare beastie at that.
image.png

Saab 9-3 2.8 Turbo V6 X SportWagon 5dr

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Derv 150bhp. Would have loved a TTID but they still command relatively more.

I bumped into @hannakournikova at the airport on my way over and showed him what I was after for a laugh. Next thing he's telling me about a great 93 he drove years ago and I'm like what?! It's just a fancy vectra.

And what about this, from someone that will remain anonymous unless they want to put their own hand up. He's driven more supercars than I've had hot dinners. And then he drops this bomb in a text...

View attachment 138871

I'm finding this all a bit overwhelming! I was hoping for an understated ownership experience. Am I going to be ambushed by the NI Saab owners club at Larne port?!

I had the same engine in my 150bhp DisAstra H. Be wary of the exhaust manifold on these Fiat engines, they are prone to cracking and losing all boost! As mine did in spectacular fashion the day I moved into my new house :sob: Moved down to second gear, bit of a weird noise and suddenly had no power to climb the hill to my house with a James Bond-esque plume of black smoke engulfing Barban Hill :skull: The first sign of it going will be a sort of exhaust gas smell inside the cabin, something I wish I had caught on to a couple of weeks prior but thought nothing of. It seemed like a decent example too, well serviced etc. Just giving you a heads up in hope this doesn't happen to you! It's about £250 to replace from memory.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
My brother has a vector sport 9-3 1.8T is dead on. Stage one map takes them from 150 - 220bhp.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I had the same engine in my 150bhp DisAstra H. Be wary of the exhaust manifold on these Fiat engines, they are prone to cracking and losing all boost! As mine did in spectacular fashion the day I moved into my new house :sob: Moved down to second gear, bit of a weird noise and suddenly had no power to climb the hill to my house with a James Bond-esque plume of black smoke engulfing Barban Hill :skull: The first sign of it going will be a sort of exhaust gas smell inside the cabin, something I wish I had caught on to a couple of weeks prior but thought nothing of. It seemed like a decent example too, well serviced etc. Just giving you a heads up in hope this doesn't happen to you! It's about £250 to replace from memory.
Will keep that in mind!

**** you @Cooper thats a lovely car and now I am checking gumtree for one to cart the dog about in and fill full of re.....i mean BP's finest quality ultimate diesel.
LOL I still can't believe the positive comments are rolling in. Really enjoying Saab ownership. A ceased caliper dropped MPG to near 40mpg, panic stations. Sorted now and an oil change for good measure and back to mid-high 40s again.

I treated it to a Pioneer double din carplay head unit, complete with the steering wheel control interface (after my £20 amazon job gave up) and that's just adding to the appeal. I might go as far as to tint the glass now, but its performing daily duties with aplomb.

Bodywork wise its one of the straightest and original cars I've owned. Just trying to resist the temptation to tinker with it. I fancy heated aero leather if I ever saw it for grabs on gumtree...

Oh and the 2.0T aero - the auto box was woeful and made it particularly hard to run (25mpg on average). Get a manual one. They are bargains and as said these cars map well also. Oh a map.... ^o)

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Spotted this on Gumtree the other day, I have quite the soft spot for those wheels.

The claimed 357bhp should be fairly lively!

upload_2017-3-31_11-53-22.png

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Very understated car these, in fact I saw a nice red one this morning on the way to work. I had considered one myself a few years ago, the front end is the only thing that put me off, there's just something about it I'm just not sure I like about it, that's just be being a fussy f***er lol I'm sure they make a great sleeper :p

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Auto ones are definitely more common at the moment.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Funny I've come across this thread as I'm currently trying to talk the wife into letting me change the Clio for a Saab, unsuccessfully I might add! :worried:

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.