Something Weird Going On Here: Just Collected My Saab 9-3

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
We see some spectacular members cars threads on RMS. GTRs and M4s and other stunning machinery. And yet there seems to be, unexplainably, a growing fan base of a now defunct Swedish car manufacturer who's cars are based on even less loved Vauxhall.

Not even a month has passed since @Cess professing his love of all things Saab on the blog. Since then I sold the 335, and as fate would have it was lent a Petrol Saab 9-3 turbo for daily duties.

Something strange happened. Despite the power sapping and lazy auto box aside, and a poor 25mpg to boot, this was a really comfortable and a little bit unusual of a daily. And they also have a bit of a cult following. Most strange was never at one point did I feel like I was driving a Vectra. Thankfully.

Although I had planned to step directly into the 335s replacement, that wasn't working out and I needed a temporary solution to get about. You know where this is going (or well some will at least - more than one person has said to me, you're gonna buy a what?!)

A cursory browse of Gumtree and such showed any number of diesel examples at around £3k, for a car under 10 years old (facelift) and around 100k on the clock. Most had leather and a plethora of mod cons, returned decent fuel economy and the Fiat sourced GM shared engine actually seemed to last more than you would think.

And so my car hunt became a two car hunt. Classifieds were checked multiple times a day until I pounced on a car across the water. A deposit was hastily sent on what my detailed market research told me was "the one". Low number of owners. Comprehensive service history. Vector spec with skirts, 17" upgrade rims, and not black. Really Saab must have had a black paint stockpile somewhere or gave black at discount. They're everywhere.

So getting to the point, and without further ado I present my latest and greatest....

IMG_9098.JPG

As you might suspect I'm on the high seas whilst sampling the delights that the early 90s themed European Highlander has to offer.

Earlier the Saab dispatched both the M6 and A75 with ease and both passenger and driver arrived at the port of Cairnryan refreshed. In the sort of relaxed mood that the chap who does the voice recording "Welcome Aboard. European Highlander. ". I bet he drives a Saab too!

Needless to say a list of improvements have been bouncing about my head. A boot liner has already been procured via eBay, and the dashboard lends itself to the very JDM-esqe method of fitting a double din head unit so I'm excited at the prospect of putting apple car play in place of the prehistoric 9-3 wireless.

So give me hell. I can take it. Surprisingly though I've had several texts asking me if she was a good one.

Definitely something weird going on here....

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Lovely example that, i have a soft spot for these Saabs. Had a facelift Aero TTID saloon a few years ago was a lovely thing to drive and had every option ticked from the factory. Health to drive (y)

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Lovely example that, i have a soft spot for these Saabs. Had a facelift Aero TTID saloon a few years ago was a lovely thing to drive and had every option ticked from the factory. Health to drive (y)
A soft spot!!! You see. What are we smoking!

This is a real problem. I love my Saab. Saabaholics anon.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
2.8 Aero Hot?!

Looks great, such a lot of car for the £.
Derv 150bhp. Would have loved a TTID but they still command relatively more.

I bumped into @hannakournikova at the airport on my way over and showed him what I was after for a laugh. Next thing he's telling me about a great 93 he drove years ago and I'm like what?! It's just a fancy vectra.

And what about this, from someone that will remain anonymous unless they want to put their own hand up. He's driven more supercars than I've had hot dinners. And then he drops this bomb in a text...

IMG_9102.jpg

I'm finding this all a bit overwhelming! I was hoping for an understated ownership experience. Am I going to be ambushed by the NI Saab owners club at Larne port?!

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Looks the part, what year?
Have a 1.9 tid 150 for the missis Vector sport. Can't fault it at all. Same colour as yours.

56oval

RMS Regular
Looks great Cooper, don't know why they get a bashing.

Because they were too dear.
I had one as a demo for the weekend when they first came out, they looked ( and still do ) fantastic and i was ready to pull the trigger on a vector sportwagon until i got the demo. The interior just wasnt up to snuff in the price range it was in. That said they are fantastic value now, even my brothers 2.8 " ticking timebomb " surpassed 120k without anything other than a turbo pipe replacement done free as a recall, i love Saabs and if anyone gets a sniff at the last outgoing 9-5 they are just out there different., the sea of green dash and that typical styling, proper cool in a weird way.
Enjoy.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Derv 150bhp. Would have loved a TTID but they still command relatively more.

I bumped into @hannakournikova at the airport on my way over and showed him what I was after for a laugh. Next thing he's telling me about a great 93 he drove years ago and I'm like what?! It's just a fancy vectra.

And what about this, from someone that will remain anonymous unless they want to put their own hand up. He's driven more supercars than I've had hot dinners. And then he drops this bomb in a text...

View attachment 138871

I'm finding this all a bit overwhelming! I was hoping for an understated ownership experience. Am I going to be ambushed by the NI Saab owners club at Larne port?!

The want is strong..... at some point this week we'll answer each other's calls to consult about it lol

Looks great Cooper, don't know why they get a bashing.

Going by what you wrote above, I am guessing @chris_b lol

I think they look great ! For that money there's not a lot to touch them as a smoker

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Health to enjoy boss!

There always been something cool about Saab's

There was one which used to drive around Downpatrick which, to me, just looked awesome. Subtle, understated, yet the 3 spoke alloys let you know there was a bit of fire in the belly.

Looked a bit like this. Not sure of the exact model as I'm not a Saab beard like a lot now appear to be, but I loved the look of this motor.

IMG_1409.JPG

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I have left messages on windscreens offering to buy whole cars for those wheels too. There was one on Gumtree for £600 with hirsch rims but the guy never answered his phone :-(

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.