Sorn And Insurance Question

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
If I was on the way home from the mechanics who was fixing my car which was declared SORN is my insurance invalid because I was driving on the road?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If I was on the way home from the mechanics who was fixing my car which was declared SORN is my insurance invalid because I was driving on the road?

If you have insurance, you have insurance.

Driving on the road whilst SORN is a tax thing. You get hung drawn and quartered if caught.

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
OP
MR2 super GT
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
Let's get to the point. I was stopped an they said because the car was SWORN (that's what he wrote on the ticket)
That my insurance was invalid and gave a fixed penalty notice of 6 points and £200 fine

I still pay may insurance even though it was SORN I only got car fixed tonight and was on way home

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Take it to court and report them to the Ombudsman. And if possible, insist the cop appears at court so the judge can tell him he's an idiot.
Although dont imagine it will ever get that far for it to happen. They'll wriggle him out of it to save face

Why do they give people powers when they have no clue about the laws they are supposed to be upholding ? If they are so clueless about the law they should not be employed in that role !

The only thing driving whilst SORN can do is nail you for not paying the tax. That will be a fine plus back tax to the date it was last taxed.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Well technically the car isnt fully road legal and out on the road, which could be the catching point for you, as insurance companies require cars to be road legal. I know it could have been stolen from out the back of your house and not be taxed, but you werent on the road.

Tricky one :confounded: Check your own insurance documents as each company is bound to have its own rules.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I assumed roadworthy meant fit for road use mechanically, i.e a valid MOT.

Talk to your insurance Nick, sounds like cop being a wab though.

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
OP
MR2 super GT
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
for the record the Tax and Mot had expired so I guess im up the creak without a paddle. Insurance is invalid :worried:
been told by Greenlight I have 7 days to get Mot or my policy is cancelled as the car has no Mot and SORN.

was told by Greenlight I cant even drive to the Mot test as the insurance is invalid and car has to be towed or transported.

stuart-civic

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic EJ9
for the record the Tax and Mot had expired so I guess im up the creak without a paddle. Insurance is invalid :worried:
been told by Greenlight I have 7 days to get Mot or my policy is cancelled as the car has no Mot and SORN.

was told by Greenlight I cant even drive to the Mot test as the insurance is invalid and car has to be towed or transported.

the only thing you need to drive to an mot test is insurance. you do not need tax and well obviously the car doesnt have to be mot'd.

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
OP
MR2 super GT
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
Stuart, Greenlight said as the car was SORN and no MOT I wasnt even allowed to drive to the MOT test

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Stuart, Greenlight said as the car was SORN and no MOT I wasnt even allowed to drive to the MOT test

Maybe they have extremely strange policies. But legally there is no reason you cant.

Well technically the car isnt fully road legal and out on the road, which could be the catching point for you, as insurance companies require cars to be road legal. I know it could have been stolen from out the back of your house and not be taxed, but you werent on the road.

Tricky one :confounded: Check your own insurance documents as each company is bound to have its own rules.

Applying that logic it would be near impossible to be road legal then. If insurance companies require a car to be road legal, and you are stating they need insurance to be road legal....how would that ever work ?

So they wont insure a car because it doesnt have insurance ?

This notion of insurance companies stating a car must be MOT'd is fairly new. They could make it almost impossible for some people to get their car MOT'd though. How do you drive it to/from a test ? Which is perfectly legal to do so if you have no MOT or Tax.

The lowlifes just seem to want to make it as difficult as possible for anyone to be legal at any level.

To the OP.

Have a read through your entire policy and see if there are any preconditions about cover. Although in your original post you did fail to mention you also had no MOT, so who knows what state the car was actually in.
IMO if any company refuses to cover a perfectly roadworthy car but one that has no MOT, avoid them like the plague. Such a policy makes no sense whatsoever and they dont deserve anyone business. Especially when the MOT is really a worthless piece of paper.

avo5021

RMS Regular
It's entirely down to your insurer if they cover you or not tbh

I have recently taken out a new policy and one of the specifications is that if the vehicle has no Valid MOT then the company WILL NOT cover me in the event of a claim.

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
OP
MR2 super GT
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
Can I get a car re-taxed at the post office coming off a SORN once I get a valid MOT cert?

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Can I get a car re-taxed at the post office coming off a SORN once I get a valid MOT cert?
Nope - tax office job I'm afraid. The post office can only renew when your tax is about to expire and you have a renewal notice.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
OP
MR2 super GT
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
Thanks for the info. Anyone tried to tax their car using a digital (email) of their insurance certificate?

Do to post office accept print outs for example some policies are now all online are they not?

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
I wouldn't think that they would accept an email as confirmation as insurance,
But a printout should be fine so long as the details are correct, AFAIK they can cross-reference with the MID

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I presume you mean a crappy dot matrix print off of your insurance certificate lol? If so yeah, ive had to do that with the bike and it was no problem, never batted an eyelid :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.