Sourcing or making your own bushes

stuarty7

RMS Regular
Drives
accord type s
I have a 1972 mitsubishi colt galant which where only made for 3 years getting anything for them is next to impossible. I would like to rebuild the suspension but im yet to find the bushing/ball joints.

Two options
1.Buy correct id/od bushings and i could turn them down in the lathe.

2.Make my own poly bushes but unsure on how successful that would be.

Personally i would rather buy bushes with the correct id/od and make them work.

Can anyone recommend somewhere you can look through bush spec rather than just by the vehicle details.

Thanks

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
There is a place outside Castlederg makes bushings. I got set made years ago for ae86. I will see if they are open and get you a number

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I used to have some Mk1 Celicas, similar type of setup to the Galant. On one of them I used Superflex bushes on the front ARB drop links and possibly something else, can't remember.
They were just bought by dimension spec rather than make and model. If you need an oddball size you could turn your own from PU bar.

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Yeah, I poured my own a few weeks back. Went about as well as expected, not sure if I cocked up the mixture but they are pretty solid compared to what I was hoping. When I'm next building something for track use I'll see how they fare. I'll look out the bottles and post details in case you get stuck.

It's a fairly easy concept but got very messy very quickly. Bit like everything I attack.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Yeah, I poured my own a few weeks back. Went about as well as expected, not sure if I cocked up the mixture but they are pretty solid compared to what I was hoping. When I'm next building something for track use I'll see how they fare. I'll look out the bottles and post details in case you get stuck.

It's a fairly easy concept but got very messy very quickly. Bit like everything I attack.

was there a project thread for this ? , if so i've missed it , if not, there should have been đź‘Ś

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Just mentioned it in the 'What did you do to your car today' thread. (Wasn't going to pretend I knew what I was doing with a fancy thread on it lol)

Used a set of broken mounts to make sure I kept the centre collar in the right place. Looking back the additional cuts of rubber were unnecessary as they turned out properly rigid in the end. One thing I didn't realise was how quickly the mixture cured. Must have wasted half of what I mixed.

20200329_114757.jpg
20200329_115651.jpg
20200329_115656.jpg
20200329_152003.jpg
20200329_152012.jpg

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
Just mentioned it in the 'What did you do to your car today' thread. (Wasn't going to pretend I knew what I was doing with a fancy thread on it lol)

Used a set of broken mounts to make sure I kept the centre collar in the right place. Looking back the additional cuts of rubber were unnecessary as they turned out properly rigid in the end. One thing I didn't realise was how quickly the mixture cured. Must have wasted half of what I mixed.

View attachment 277095
View attachment 277096
View attachment 277097
View attachment 277098
View attachment 277099

what 'stuff' did you use.

so youve just filled the voids in the old mount with the new harder rubber, i attempted the same years back with tec 7 or similar, but it wasnt effective, ended up getting some one on the forums to supply one , looked similar to your finished article. (was an accord type r)

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
It's taken me more than a few days to remember to take a pic. Ordered it online and don't remember it being too dear. Well, cheap enough to warrant a go at it anyway.

View attachment 278714

I might end up trying this on some of the bushing the rest i might just buy the bar stock and turn the bushing i need from it in the lathe.

On another note i have that steering rack to bring back to you đź‘Ť