Space Grey E92 M3

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
Didn’t happen to pass you on the finvoy line heading towards ballymoney earlier?

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
So a bit of a minor update on the M3, nothing cosmetically has been done to the car since my last update other than swapping back to the M359’s as I just feel these are the wheel for this car and painting my calipers red. I know they maybe aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but I think it adds a nice little accent to the cars rather reserved looking appearance.

Mechanically the car suffered the ever so common throttle actuator failure, so I opted for the deposit service from Rebuild where they sent me a newly refurbished set of actuators and in exchange I sent my old ones back to have my deposit refunded. This just means the car is only off the road for 1 day opposed to having to remove your old actuators and send them off for exchange which can take up to a week.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
So a bit of a minor update on the M3, nothing cosmetically has been done to the car since my last update other than swapping back to the M359’s as I just feel these are the wheel for this car and painting my callipers red. I know they maybe aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but I think it adds a nice little accent to the cars rather reserved looking appearance.

Mechanically the car suffered the ever so common throttle actuator failure, so I opted for the deposit service from Rebuild where they sent me a newly refurbished set of actuators and I sent my old ones back where they refund your deposit back. This just means the car is only off the road for 1 day opposed to having to remove your old actuators and send them off for exchange which can take up to a week.

Great job, mine had them done 20k ago but the last owner got BMW to replace them so no doubt they will fail again.

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
Great job, mine had them done 20k ago but the last owner got BMW to replace them so no doubt they will fail again.

They probably will do but do the actuators from BMW not come with a warranty? If you have to get them refurbished I cannot stress enough that Rebuild is the only place to go! My last M3 had them done by Sinspeed (prior to my ownership) and they started to throw up various new faults which I suspect was the reason the car was for sale originally.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
They probably will do but do the actuators from BMW not come with a warranty? If you have to get them refurbished I cannot stress enough that Rebuild is the only place to go! My last M3 had them done by Sinspeed (prior to my ownership) and they started to throw up various new faults which I suspect was the reason the car was for sale originally.

I think they came with a years warranty on them but the invoice I have is from 2017 so they would be out of warranty. I have just accepted they will fail again as BMW never fixed the issue and just replaced them for new ones with the same defect in them so rebuild will be contacted.

Its great though that places like that offer the support as the ABS pump seems to be another its not if it fails its when it fails and I got mine rebuilt with a lifetime warranty.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
As I’ve replied to Gemma before, I’ve a real soft spot for these, esp in grey! I’ve had sooo many grey cars. Love them

Looks like a very clean example, health to enjoy

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
As I’ve replied to Gemma before, I’ve a real soft spot for these, esp in grey! I’ve had sooo many grey cars. Love them

Looks like a very clean example, health to enjoy

Thanks :grinning: The car is in brilliant condition and I plan to keep it that way!

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
So haven’t done anything exciting to the car unfortunately but managed to get a run out to the recent cars and coffee at Down Royal where there is always a great turnout! Managed to get a few pictures...

Hopefully in the run up to Christmas I plan to get the DCT software updated to the GTS and possibly the rod bearing service if I can part with the money for it...

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
So very little updates other than the car being in storage for a few months but ventured out to the NI-BMW at Hallidays for my long awaited turntable photos!

Thanks to @JamieG95 for the cracker photos as always and organising a brilliant day out😎

527232F3-1C9A-4335-A93F-AAF75BADAF95.jpeg

DAF57B97-B123-4BA6-A3EC-E6BBB248BF86.jpeg

C3DC5DFC-7703-4FE0-9B32-7ED4F461808C.jpeg

Dropped the car down on Friday to Colm at Banbridge Motorworks for the all important rod bearing service so now it’s a waiting game just to see how the original bearings have fared.😶

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
Looks great, would I have seen this in Dromore a few weeks back?

Don't think so, doesn't travel too far😅 Although saying that I was actually through it on Friday on my way to Banbridge

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
So a fairly big day for the M3 on Monday when she received the all important rod bearing replacement. For anyone who doesn’t know the connecting rod bearings in these engines (S65 & S85) fail prematurely for some unknown reason! I decided to take the precaution and replace them with updated ACL race bearings with standard BMW rod bolts.

I opted for the ACL bearings as I think replacing with the OEM part again is just prolonging the issue again, so hopefully with regular 5k mile oil changes and the new bearings I’ll see no issues!

Colm at Banbridge Motorworks carried out the job and must say his knowledge and attention to detail is absolutely staggering.

2E9736D9-B8E5-465D-927B-482427BD57CD.jpeg

Bearings showing signs of wear but by far not the worst I’ve seen. The car has always been warmed up and cooled down properly with oil changes at the specified intervals with JKC BMW.

4BDB85AA-A8AB-4E61-966E-5CBE19880708.jpeg

New replacement ACL bearings

64B58086-DB59-4945-B397-F2744CC41E81.jpeg

I must say Colm is highly recommended for his work even though it was a 2 hour round trip!

EB571D1D-4178-45F3-84BC-09978649EE4D.jpeg

Andy55

RMS Regular
Spotted this up on the ramp at Colm's when I was over collecting a car but didn't realise it was owned by a forum member.
It looked great and must be good having the piece of mind after having the bearings done.
Colm's a gent too and knows his way around BMW's.

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
I’m sure your glad the bearing are now replaced and I don’t think mileage can tell you what sort of wear they will have

I did mine as soon as I bought the car, 75k when removed from a 2007 car and they weren’t too bad at all

View attachment 270711View attachment 270712View attachment 270713

It's a real piece of mind now that its done thankfully! Your bearings actually look in slightly better condition than mine with 52k miles on them.
Finally can properly enjoy the car 😅

Spotted this up on the ramp at Colm's when I was over collecting a car but didn't realise it was owned by a forum member.
It looked great and must be good having the piece of mind after having the bearings done.
Colm's a gent too and knows his way around BMW's.

Cheers! Yea it was a bit of a journey for me I have to say but the reviews Colm was getting I was happy to travel for a job that would be done right.

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
Good job getting the bearings done James. I hope it wasn’t as expensive as it looks like it might be! I’m sure the acl bearings alone brought a wee tear to your eye! But totally worth it I think! Love this car mate

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
Good job getting the bearings done James. I hope it wasn’t as expensive as it looks like it might be! I’m sure the acl bearings alone brought a wee tear to your eye! But totally worth it I think! Love this car mate

It had to be done! This is my second E92 M3 and I have to say the ownership is overshadowed by the fact that these engines have a tendency to go pop at any time without any prior signs.
To be honest at £200 the ACL bearings were probably the cheapest part of it! There was a insignificant parts such as crankshaft pulley bolts which are “recommended“ by BMW to be replaced but they were £52 for 4 bolts 🤢 bearing in mind the originals probably would have been perfectly fine! Overall for £1400 I didn’t think it was extortionate with the amount of work involved considering the last service from BMW was £1250 🤣

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
Just a quick update on what’s been happening with the M3 over the past few months. Since purchasing the car there was a few annoying stone chips on the front bumper but as of late, the lacquer started to peel off so decided it was time to get the bumper flushed and painted to give it a slicker look! Not sure how long the no plate is going to last for...

Since I got the car I have had the 4 pipe exhaust mod done with Mark McBurney at DriftShedNI which I was very pleased with but always felt I wanted it a tad louder so it was inevitable something was going to happen. I decided to go for a primary decat as trolling the M3 forums, it seems to be a real restrictor on the car power wise and unlocks a bit more natural noise from the V8. I got the cats cut out and new primary decat pipes fitted in place with a removable flange so if needed they can be removed for MOT and the original cats put back in place.

Over the moon with the result, noticing sharper throttle response and a much raspier noise when actually on the power although still very bearable lower down the Rev range.