Spark plug socket for e39

JCM

RMS Regular
Drives
E39
Long shot this time of the year but does anyone have a spark plug socket for an e39 i could borrow in the north Belfast area?

Got a misfire on 3 cylinders the other day and went to check the coils/plugs and it turns out theres oil in the plugs.

Went and bought halfords 31 piece advanced set which came with 10,12 and 14mm spark plug sockets. But only the 10 fits in the hole. Slightly confused as online says it should be 16mm but clearly the 16mm wont fit in the hole.

Thanks,
Jon

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
As far as I can see, the socket set that you went and bought doesn't have either a 16mm deep socket or a 16mm or /5/8 plug socket.
But surely when you pull out the coil pack there's plenty of room for the socket?

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs here, but bear in mind that the measurement given for the spark plug sockets doesn’t actually refer to the “nut” size but rather the diameter of the threaded part of the plug.

That being said I only have 10mm and 14mm spark plug sockets.

Have you got new plugs for it? If so you should be able to work out the correct socket size from them?

If you haven’t bought replacement plugs yet you should be able to find out the correct size from www.realoem.com

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
is it a V8 or 6Cylinder?

This is what I use on the M5 / 540 engine Slim & Deep 5/8”

Attachments

• 9689C4D9-C5CA-4DC0-A021-8F9E9A6FB25C.jpeg
    9689C4D9-C5CA-4DC0-A021-8F9E9A6FB25C.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 0ED977CE-9456-4D46-8335-73A5D0D356C0.jpeg
    0ED977CE-9456-4D46-8335-73A5D0D356C0.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 39

JCM

RMS Regular
OP
JCM
Drives
E39
Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs here, but bear in mind that the measurement given for the spark plug sockets doesn’t actually refer to the “nut” size but rather the diameter of the threaded part of the plug.

That being said I only have 10mm and 14mm spark plug sockets.

Have you got new plugs for it? If so you should be able to work out the correct socket size from them?

If you haven’t bought replacement plugs yet you should be able to find out the correct size from www.realoem.com
No worries at all, appreciate any information I can get! This is still all new to me and I'm learning as I go along. Unfortunately, I don't have new plugs handy so just going off information online.
Is there not a spark plug socket with the cars tool kit? Might be worth a look.
I thought it did, but I've checked the toolkit in the boot and it's not there.
is it a V8 or 6Cylinder?

This is what I use on the M5 / 540 engine Slim & Deep 5/8”
It'll be a V8, I think a mate has a 5/8" but not sure if it's plug or normal socket. I've placed an order for one of these to have about Amazon product ASIN B01C2RQ3VS