Spate of Keyless Car Thefts in NI

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Wonder if there's some link with the keyless thefts to that stripped BMW X3(?) found in Millisle, stolen from Holywood?

Saw that earlier and wondered the same.

8AA07688-736B-4D0A-9709-3A942908C5CB.jpeg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
My view on trackers is entirely pointless, when my skyline got stole many years ago police were standing beside it in west Belfast but told me they may have to leave the car if the hoods kick off. Just my 2p

How does that make it pointless ?

Did the tracker not track and locate the vehicle ? Did it alert you of the theft in the first place ?

What the police do or do not do is another matter.
Saw that earlier and wondered the same.

View attachment 256237

I guess used car parts is a huge business now...but who's selling them ?

I think this was posted recently here too ? Some festival or something in England where expensive cars were stripped in the car park. Really...the police and authorities need to get tough on these people.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular

Did the tracker not track and locate the vehicle ? Did it alert you of the theft in the first place ?

I think this was posted recently here too ? Some festival or something in England where expensive cars were stripped in the car park. Really...the police and authorities need to get tough on these people.

seen one of a golf R stripped at a dance festival

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom

I didn’t have a tracker, but my point is even when the police find your car they may well leave it. Although that’s likely a scenario only local to areas of NI / Belfast and our unique security situation.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I didn’t have a tracker, but my point is even when the police find your car they may well leave it. Although that’s likely a scenario only local to areas of NI / Belfast and our unique security situation.

If the police started recovering cars themselves it wouldn't be long until a stolen car was booby trapped.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
If the police started recovering cars themselves it wouldn't be long until a stolen car was booby trapped.

They used A1 marsden recovery. Like I said, our situation probably makes it unique, a stolen car could spark a month of riots or wooly faces come out so I get it. My point is, just cause you have a tracker or if the police locate a car, your not necessarily getting it back.

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Police Wouldn't go into Divis to get my old civic back but the recovery guys would and then charged like £200 to get it back. Funny thing is I've heard a few times that the recovery guys pay the joyriders to steal them and give them a cut. Countries full of scum and they will try and get your car regardless how well you secure it

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
I must be the only one that leaves the keys on the kitchen worktop out of sight from the door but if someone broke in they can take the feckin keys and the cars. That's what insurance is for, as long as they stay away from my wife and 2 year old I dont give a toss these days. Mine is not keyless start and you know a 2013 car so probably less likely to be stolen.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Dads tracker sends a security company out with a low loader. It wasn't cheap but his argument was the same as yours - who wants to head into some dirt hole to try to recover a car in goodness knows what condition.
I must be the only one that leaves the keys on the kitchen worktop out of sight from the door but if someone broke in they can take the feckin keys and the cars. That's what insurance is for, as long as they stay away from my wife and 2 year old I dont give a toss these days. Mine is not keyless start and you know a 2013 car so probably less likely to be stolen.

Easily enough found but only when on their way to the bedrooms.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
My car has keyless start but not keyless entry, I have to push a button on the fob to unlock the doors. Do I have to worry :confounded:
I assume that's a 7 or 8 year old Ford then?
I had one with that set up, the absolute stupidest key system.........
- find the key
- push the button
- open the car
- get in
- push start button
- wonder where to put key

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
- find the key
- push the button
- open the car
- get in
- push start button
Lots of cars have/had that system. My disco has it, wifes last 1 series had it. It was the stepping stone to full keyless but I agree with you on the pointlessness and having to find somewhere to put the key.

As far as I know, keyless start but "conventional" pressing a button on a remote to unlock/lock cars are safe enough. Its only those which have keyless/comfort access as they actively emit signal which can be detected and boosted.

neil-c

RMS Regular
They got in to my Volvo S90 last night turned it inside out but didn't get it away for some reason. Didn't damage or take a thing. So now I'm stuck blocking it in with the Mrs car or buying an old steering wheel lock neither I can particularly be bothered with. Must get the finger out and get the electric gates hung and sorted.

Electric gates don't out them off. My parents had a trailer stolen from the house and they just pushed the gates either by hand or with a car until the screw mechanism broke. The only type of secure electric gate is one of the brute ugly ones that roll along and are held in place by a magnet.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Electric gates don't out them off. My parents had a trailer stolen from the house and they just pushed the gates either by hand or with a car until the screw mechanism broke. The only type of secure electric gate is one of the brute ugly ones that roll along and are held in place by a magnet.
It is what it is. All you can do is make your stuff less attractive than an easier target. If they want it that badly they'll break in to your house and you'll wake up with a bloke standing over you looking keys and fob.

At least if there are gates it's going to slow them down or they may not spot it in the first place. Thankfully I have a more secure spot elsewhere on the property if I ever treat myself to anything nice or special.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
- find the key
- push the button
- open the car
- get in
- push start button

That just about sums the whole thing up. I often think why Ford decided to fit a feature with out a benefit, when they could have fitted something useful like auto lights or wipers

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I logged it with police just in case it got lifted and the insurance company huffed that I hadn't logged it.

Cop called me up and said he "hadn't heard of any modern hi tech cars getting taken like this and if it was such a big deal he is sure the manufacturers would have it sorted".

There we go then guys, all much a do about nothing..... Lol.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350

I'm with you on this one - my keys and my Mrs keys both hang up on a board in the kitchen that says "KEYS" in writing at the top just so if they break in they can take the motors without having to disturb us. My car is keyless entry with a push button start but if I even run into the house with the key in my pocket it starts going mental.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
It is what it is. All you can do is make your stuff less attractive than an easier target. If they want it that badly they'll break in to your house and you'll wake up with a bloke standing over you looking keys and fob.

At least if there are gates it's going to slow them down or they may not spot it in the first place. Thankfully I have a more secure spot elsewhere on the property if I ever treat myself to anything nice or special.

Completely agree, if they really want it chances are they are having it.

All you can do is make more difficult to steal than someone else's.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

I sure as hell wouldnt be waiting on the police to find my car.
I logged it with police just in case it got lifted and the insurance company huffed that I hadn't logged it.

Cop called me up and said he "hadn't heard of any modern hi tech cars getting taken like this and if it was such a big deal he is sure the manufacturers would have it sorted".

There we go then guys, all much a do about nothing..... Lol.

A cop said he hadnt heard of many cars getting stolen like this ? Wow.
Does the same logic apply to a garage door remote too?

They'd be more basic, like older car alarms. No signal at all is emitted until you hit the button. Unless it's also some sort of proximity thing where you do not need to press buttons for anything to happen ?

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I sure as hell wouldnt be waiting on the police to find my car.

A cop said he hadnt heard of many cars getting stolen like this ? Wow.
Yup he said he'd never seen a case of this and suspected a lot of the claims were bogus as if it were that easy the manufacturers would have sorted it out by now. I suspect he may not be a detective of the year nominee.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yup he said he'd never seen a case of this and suspected a lot of the claims were bogus as if it were that easy the manufacturers would have sorted it out by now. I suspect he may not be a detective of the year nominee.

Hard to imagine anyone in such a role......who's actually so stupid and naive about crime they are supposed to be fighting.

And if he believes they are bogus....was he investigating his alleged fraud ?