Spotlight Wiring-help! Im A Complete Noob.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
I have 4x55w spots to wire in.
What guage of wire would you recommend for this?
what amp fuse for the relay power?
Will two 40amp relays do the job?
The spots also have side lights, do i need to run power for these through relays?
Do i need to uprate the battery?
Is the main beam in a 2002 l200 negatively or positively switched?

Any help/diagrams/hints are gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
how are you wanting to run them i.e on there own or come on when you put full beem on ?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As per the other thread. They need to be seperately switched on an illuminated switch, even if only through main beam.

I did mine pretty handy with an eBay wiring kit, though that was spots at headlight level not ones on the roof. Came with instructions and all.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
RELAYWIRING.jpg

Hope that helps a bit McKeown. They are very easy to wire in, ensuring good tight, crimped connections and solid earth points. If you need a hand, I'm not far away and carry the tools in the car all the time anyway.

As for the sidelights (I'm guessing they are Angel Eye spotlights?), they just get wired off the back of the original sidelights in the car and dont require a relay due to such a low amperage going to them (y)

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
happy days Nicky thanks for that! Would 40amp relays sound correct? Yes they are the angel eye lights. That diagram is a lot simpler than some of the ones I've seen tonight!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It's amazing what 5 mins in MS Paint can do :p

40 Amp would be perfect, as you'll probably only be running a 20amp fuse anyway. The spec list for the spots should tell you, and your gauge choice of wire should be to suit that too. I use 17amp cable and a 15amp fuse myself when I'm fitting spot lights or fog lights and I'm yet to have an issue.

Just ensure you use a bit of sandpaper to get a good contact for your earth points, and make sure all the lives are well insulated around the connectors and you'll be grand.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
is that a twenty amp fuse between the battery and the relay? Sounds good I've got my shopping list now!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
There's absolutely no need for a relay per lamp Bryan, given that the lamps are no moreful than a single headlight, and both headlights in any car is powered by 1 relay. Even when you buy expensive wirin kits like Ring, PIAA or Hella, you only ever get 1 relay, and some of those kits say they can manage with 4 x 50w lamps, never mind a pair.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.