Spring cutting

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DervePug106

What way does the law stand on this one, can the cops fine you? Heard this and don't know how true it is..........Anyone know if you can cut so much off or so on......

cheers

eddie

PS: sorry i know i have a thread on how low, but just wanted to find out the legal side too.....

Mad Car Lad

Drives
Renault Clio 1.2
i cut the front springs on my old 106 and put her down really low @ the back, i wasnt driving it on the road because im only 14. but i sold her to a man and he has been driving her for a year or two now, and hasnt been cought yet.

i think i took about between around 1-3 coils off the front.........

if that helps you!

Cess

RMS Staff
It's not illegal, it's an MOT fail if the spring doesn't seat properly.

Jason

RMS Regular
Mad Car Lad said:
i cut the front springs on my old 106 and put her down really low @ the back, i wasnt driving it on the road because im only 14. but i sold her to a man and he has been driving her for a year or two now, and hasnt been cought yet.

i think i took about between around 1-3 coils off the front.........

if that helps you!
^o) theres quite a difference between 1 and 3 coils

Nordonian

RMS Regular
i cant see how it can be legal
the springs are designed exactly to suit, then ure cutting the coils altering the performance of the spring. if you want lower buy lowering springs.

i know of a corsa who cut the springs, roof cracked from sunroof to door. automatic write off

chrisni1986

RMS Regular
Drives
525 M Sport
i used to own a mk4 polo which had 2 coils cut off all 4 springs and it passed mot no problem

brendy

RMS Regular
cutting springs, ffs what sort of ****3r does that in the first place!
funny ive never seen a bmw m3 or similar with it done, only seems to be the tosspots in tincarts.

DervePug106

OP
DervePug106
i know plenty of merc's with cut springs, I've heard if people know wut their doing, its grand, and with 2 coils my springs will sit back into place, yea fair enough with a little more force than designed, but not that much........to be really dangerous?

brendy

RMS Regular
why cut springs that are tempered and have pregressive strengths, cutting them throws them off what they are supposed to be doing, dont be tight and dangerous and buy decent springs, dont forget dampers wernt designed with cut springs in mind either.

get some pics of this load of mercs mate, they must be owned by fools who cannot afford to own them properly.

Pocket_rocket

totally agree, its dangerous and makes a car handle like feck all, id sooner drive a car thats high as a kite and handles well than something low and rash that cant bloody corner.

on a 106 you only have to buy 2 bloody springs, half price lowering ffs. stop being tight you might die as a result

DervePug106

OP
DervePug106
they already are lowering springs, a full gmax suspension kit, the rover springs only go down max 40mm drop then its coilovers at 650notes too exp, esp for student lad

brendy

RMS Regular
DervePug106 said:
they already are lowering springs, a full gmax suspension kit, the rover springs only go down max 40mm drop then its coilovers at 650notes too exp, esp for student lad
coffins are more expensive mate! you carry a little too much speed into a corner some day and youll hit a bump and your suspension/brake setup just wont stop you, or else itll throw the car off balance. go for if if you dont believe us, youre only going to be another statistic to us.

DervePug106

OP
DervePug106
I know lad i understand what your saying to me, just posted this thread up to find out the craic and what people knew about cut springs, so i didnt make a decision on my own....Best to heard other peeps opp.'s too.....cheers for being straight

Lee

RMS Regular
brendy said:
cutting springs, ffs what sort of ****3r does that in the first place!
funny ive never seen a bmw m3 or similar with it done, only seems to be the tosspots in tincarts.

no need for that. The sort of '****3r' that wants to lower their car, cuts their springs^o)
and people with m3's or the like, probably have enuf money to buy coilovers or summit:p

Lee

RMS Regular
Pocket_rocket said:
on a 106 you only have to buy 2 bloody springs, half price lowering ffs. stop being tight you might die as a result

okay... why buy springs n all if you don't drive yer car on the road? just cut them like.

brendy

RMS Regular
as much as they do the instructions, they also warn:
"Cutting a stock spring will also increase its rate by roughly 10 percent for each coil removed. Two coils equals a 20-percent increase in spring rate. Despite a higher spring rate from cut coils, the car’s ride qualities will be significantly affected, and the suspension may bottom out because so few coils remain. So you may have a cool-looking ride stance, but now there is little or no suspension travel left to control ride harshness."
remember that page is for big lumbering yank tanks, whos to say they are correct, you can find wrong advice easily, you just need to look in the wrong places.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.